Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Looks like Tru has a formal dress code, so looks like it may be out (don't travel with jackets etc).
Anywhere else in Chicago that has a more casual dress code?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by United747
Any reason you're looking for set menus?
Set menu is normally best value and at many restaurants in NYC only option. Not the same as set menus in Europe. Normally you can choose every course from many options. So not really "set".
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by oh_lol
Looks like Tru has a formal dress code, so looks like it may be out (don't travel with jackets etc).
Anywhere else in Chicago that has a more casual dress code?
You can check out Roister, Grant Achatz's casual place. Got its first star this year.

Edit: Just saw you already mentioned Roister upthread. I'd also recommend Boka, right next to Alinea. No jacket would be just fine.

Last edited by LizGross144; Feb 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm Reason: Edit: actually read prior page.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by offerendum
Set menu is normally best value and at many restaurants in NYC only option. Not the same as set menus in Europe. Normally you can choose every course from many options. So not really "set".
Makes sense, I just read it as the OP was ONLY looking for set menus. Which I don't think is the right approach.

Re Chicago restaurants, I think most 2 and 3 star restaurants are jackets required. Maybe look at Spiaggia? I've only dined on the cafe side, but it was very nice and I don't think they have a strict dress code.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:50 pm

Suggestions for France

Hi Folks,

I'm starting to plan the itinerary for our trip to France this summer. We'll be cruising in the Provance/Burgundy region for 7 days, then heading to Paris for 4 nights. While cruising, I think I'll have time to pop out for lunch in a few cities. My initial dining selections are:
  • Arles: L’Atelier
  • Macon: Restaurant Pierre
  • Lyon: Le Neuvième Art or Mère Brazier

In Paris, I'm thinking about skipping the Michelin guide and just going with good, local food.

We tend to like modern/creative food with a strong focus on presentation, and we want to get to know the food of the region well. We are not picky and will eat most anything.

How did I do? Am I missing something in these three cities, or in Paris?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by LizGross144
You can check out Roister, Grant Achatz's casual place. Got its first star this year.

Edit: Just saw you already mentioned Roister upthread. I'd also recommend Boka, right next to Alinea. No jacket would be just fine.
Thanks for the recommendations Liz

Looked into Roister, and reservations are min of 2 and pre-paid. No good since I will be alllll by myyyy selffffff.

Boka looks perfect and really not too far from city centre ^
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For other restaurants, I really enjoyed the food at Maple and Ash but haven't been in a long time.
I went to Maple & Ash last spring and it was excellent. It was also crowded and the most difficult place to get a reservation. My friends said it was impossible, but I got a table through Amex. The bar was also very popular.

We tend to like modern/creative food with a strong focus on presentation, and we want to get to know the food of the region well. We are not picky and will eat most anything.

Macon is the only Burgundy stop on your list, and it is deep south Burgundy. Practically Lyon. If you stop north of there in the Cote D'or you'll find much better dining and wine. Lameloise is not only the best in Burgundy, but I'd say the best in all of France. And if you want modern fusion, Charlemagne mixes a Japanese twist to Burgundy dining. Very nice presentation. Bernard Loiseau's name is still on a few excellent Burgundy restaurants too.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2017 at 11:51 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Hi Folks,

I'm starting to plan the itinerary for our trip to France this summer. We'll be cruising in the Provance/Burgundy region for 7 days, then heading to Paris for 4 nights. While cruising, I think I'll have time to pop out for lunch in a few cities. My initial dining selections are:

In Paris, I'm thinking about skipping the Michelin guide and just going with good, local food.

Do also Provence. Ateier is out for me. Will try Alexandre Nimes
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I went to Maple & Ash last spring and it was excellent. It was also crowded and the most difficult place to get a reservation. My friends said it was impossible, but I got a table through Amex. The bar was also very popular.
That's why I haven't been back! I've tried a few times, but even AmEx and JPM couldn't get me in.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:42 am

Macon is the only Burgundy stop on your list, and it is deep south Burgundy. Practically Lyon. If you stop north of there in the Cote D'or you'll find much better dining and wine. Lameloise is not only the best in Burgundy, but I'd say the best in all of France. And if you want modern fusion, Charlemagne mixes a Japanese twist to Burgundy dining. Very nice presentation. Bernard Loiseau's name is still on a few excellent Burgundy restaurants too.
I should have been a bit more clear. The Arles/Macon/Lyon stops are pretty non-negotiable. This is part of a river cruise that has a set itinerary, and these are the cities where I believe I'll have time for lunch. Unfortunately, we don't have the freedom to go further afield on this part of our trip. So, I'm interested in thoughts/opinions on those specific cities, at restaurants that serve lunch.

In Paris we're flexible as we're traveling independently, but I've heard that the Michelin starred restaurants in Paris are overpriced and not as good of an experience in what you may find in Lyon, for example. I have no first-hand experience with this, so would be interested in options. While we're quite comfortable with public transportation, in Paris we'll be staying in the Vendome area (parents at the Park Hyatt, husband and I in the Renaissance).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That's why I haven't been back! I've tried a few times, but even AmEx and JPM couldn't get me in.
I should have disclosed that it was Amex Centurion that got me a table. Is it still that hard? They must be doing very well.

I should have been a bit more clear. The Arles/Macon/Lyon stops are pretty non-negotiable. This is part of a river cruise that has a set itinerary, and these are the cities where I believe I'll have time for lunch. Unfortunately, we don't have the freedom to go further afield on this part of our trip. So, I'm interested in thoughts/opinions on those specific cities, at restaurants that serve lunch.

In Paris we're flexible as we're traveling independently, but I've heard that the Michelin starred restaurants in Paris are overpriced and not as good of an experience in what you may find in Lyon, for example.
Ah, ok. Yes Paris is overpriced and not as good, it's true. Lyon has wonderful restaurants, but they change all the time so perhaps it's best to ask a concierge as you get closer to the date. I'm sure Macon has some nice places for lunch, but I live an hour north of there and don't know what's best. In any case it's hard to go wrong in either town. Even if you aren't in the top 5 restaurants you will be very well taken care of.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2017 at 11:49 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:38 am

I should have disclosed that it was Amex Centurion that got me a table. Is it still that hard? They must be doing very well.
I haven't tried since the summer. But I'm sure it is doing well. I've met the owner before and his other/previous restaurants have done extremely well too.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:49 am

I haven't tried since the summer. But I'm sure it is doing well. I've met the owner before and his other/previous restaurants have done extremely well too.
Just for fun, I went to try to get an online reservation at Maple and Ash on a Saturday night a month from now. There are multiple two-tops available during the first and last turns, and they'll offer up a table for 1 at 6:00 p.m. Might be worth a try!

It's now on my list for a Chicago trip, at least.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Just for fun, I went to try to get an online reservation at Maple and Ash on a Saturday night a month from now. There are multiple two-tops available during the first and last turns, and they'll offer up a table for 1 at 6:00 p.m. Might be worth a try!

It's now on my list for a Chicago trip, at least.
Nice find! Looking a little farther out, there is an 8:30 for 1. 6 is just a little too early for me!

EDIT: Found a 7:15 April 1, nabbed that!

Last edited by United747; Feb 5, 2017 at 10:06 am Reason: see above
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oh_lol
Thanks for the recommendations Liz

Looked into Roister, and reservations are min of 2 and pre-paid. No good since I will be alllll by myyyy selffffff.

Boka looks perfect and really not too far from city centre ^
Tried Roister, it was meh. Sat downstairs. Girl and the Goat was amazing. Wife wants to go back for the dessert again, and she doesn't even like dessert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.