Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I decided to switch Spring Moon for Felix, so here is L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon from earlier today.

If any of you don't know, L'atelier is the counter seating section of the restaurant. There is also Le Jardin which is traditional table seating with pretty much the same menu.

I have to say, it was refreshing to eat at a place like this. It is not a stereotypical Michelin 3* restaurant. It's pretty loud, and you get a front row seat to the action.

I was seated near the salad station

On offer today were a series of prix fixe menus, a discovery menu, a tapas menu with selections from the discovery menu, and a smattering of standard a la carte options.

I decided to try a trio of selections from the tapas-like menu, settling on the jamon iberico, quail stuffed with foie gras served with the legendary JR mashed potatoes, and lastly, the mini burgers served with foie gras, sweet peppers, and fries.

First up was the bread basket, I wasn't really listening when the waiter named them all, but the bacon bread was awe inspiring, and there was another that seemed to be a cheese bread.

Top right is the bacon bread

JR butter, they were quick to let me know they have "several" other types of butter if I needed or wanted it.

Amuse of a duck breast and foie gras soup-esque thing, served with popcorn and a truffle and cheese ball

Jamon, as good as ever. Always a treat to have

Foie stuffed quail, served alongside the famous mashed potatoes. Just a word on the potatoes, I've heard the ratio of potato to butter is 2:1, and I now believe it. Not to be outdone, it is served under a dome of truffle shavings.

Burger and fries

Closer look

Every part of this meal was fantastic. The service was not stalker-like as it is at so many other Michelin 3* restaurants, but they knew when to intervene. The food was also great, especially the burgers. They were cooked medium, which is extremely hard with such small patties, and the sweet peppers were a great compliment to the rich foie gras.

This has been my favorite meal of the trip, I feel kinda bad going to French restaurants while in China, but I am really glad I did, definitely one I will return to, and it's nice they have some outlets elsewhere.

One more general thought:

Michelin dining seems to be a lot more casual and relaxed here than it does in the US. At lunch there were people in t-shirts and jeans. I'm not saying it is bad, I am just used to jackets required.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 7, 2017 at 10:31 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I used to live in HK and Ho Lee Fook is by far my favourite place in HK.

PS Gordan Ramsay in HK is absolutely garbage.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol
I used to live in HK and Ho Lee Fook is by far my favourite place in HK.

PS Gordan Ramsay in HK is absolutely garbage.
I know I didn't even scratch the surface with this trip, it's my first time here and I already can't wait to come back. And I'll add that to my list for next time.

A long time ago I decided never to set foot into a Gordon Ramsay restaurant. Even with Royal Hospital Rd being 3*, I won't go. I don't know what it is, just can't stand him.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:26 pm

No problems. Have quite a lot of recommendations if you need. I'll keep an eye out on your posts in here when you go back
Would only be fair since you gave me some great places for my upcoming visit to Chicago and NYC

Also, not sure if this was posted, but Michelin is going to be available in Bangkok soon.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by United747
A long time ago I decided never to set foot into a Gordon Ramsay restaurant. Even with Royal Hospital Rd being 3*, I won't go. I don't know what it is, just can't stand him.

Good reasons for it. But you always have to consider he has not much to do with the restaurants itself, he is only the owner (not 100% sure) or at least the eponym. Same with many "3 star" chefs......
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Good reasons for it. But you always have to consider he has not much to do with the restaurants itself, he is only the owner (not 100% sure) or at least the eponym. Same with many "3 star" chefs......
Exactly. My last meals at RGR and Petrus were both fabulous, so this might be a case where you have to separate the art from the artist. In my opinion he or somebody in his org is making a concerted effort to keep those two pieces of his empire functioning at a high level. Unfortunately, they have let Maze fall completely off the map.

I finally decided to have that long awaited meal at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester. Will see how it goes, provided I can get a reservation. Interesting - just tried and no dice as a party of one on any date I gave them.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Mar 8, 2017 at 4:03 am
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I finally decided to have that long awaited meal at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester. Will see how it goes, provided I can get a reservation. Interesting - just tried and no dice as a party of one on any date I gave them.
Had the same problem at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. I wrote them an email and they told me, they don´t take Reservation for single-tables online. Wasn´t a problem to do it by email. Just check if tables for 2 persons are available.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Had the same problem at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. I wrote them an email and they told me, they don´t take Reservation for single-tables online. Wasn´t a problem to do it by email. Just check if tables for 2 persons are available.
That's a good idea. Will give it a shot.

And success - they responded positively to the email, so I'm in.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Mar 9, 2017 at 2:25 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:36 am

Beige Alain Ducasse Tokyo

Finished up the last of my Michelin stars for the trip, Beige by Alain Ducasse in Tokyo.

Beige is set atop the Chanel building in Ginza. The restaurant was created in collaboration with Chanel and the dining room features many of their design elements. As you can probably guess, the room is decorated with a lot of beige colors. I thought the room was very nice looking, but I'm sure some may say it's plain.

The lunch menu includes two different prix fixe menus featuring a small selection of appetizers, mains and desserts. There is also an a la carte menu and there was a special truffle menu as well.

I went "light" today and had the 3 course prix fixe (app, main, dessert). I selected the guinea foul for my appetizer, and let the table captain select the main and dessert. He chose the belly of veal with foie gras, and the pear mont blanc for dessert.

But first up was a small soup amuse featuring extremely small whole shrimps. Definitely the first I've ever seen them. I was even a tad apprehensive before eating it. But it was nice.

closer look

The appetizer of guinea foul was served in its cooking jus and had a small salad on the side. The meat was very tender and flavorful, with the skin being nice and crispy.

The main of veal belly with foie gras was my least favorite, the meat was tough and a little dry. But the foie gras was seared nicely an tasted as good as usual.

At this point, my table captain brought the cheese cart around. I cannot say no to cheese so had a serving of Roquefort and a wash-rind cheese I do not remember the name of.

Lastly was the pear and ginger mont blanc. My table captain was quick to note that it was just a hint of ginger and not overpowering. It tasted lovely and was capped with two meringues and served with pear ice cream.

They also served some mignardises of chocolate and macarons.

The service was spectacular. The gentleman serving me during the meal bent over backwards for everything. I even saw him actually run around the restaurant several times, it is always funny to see someone in a suit run around!

We chatted a lot during the meal as well, about everything from cheese to the Cote d'Azur. I did not find out until the end of the meal, but he was the GM of the restaurant. He was a very nice guy and gave me his card for next time.

I'd say service 3*, food 1*. It seems Michelin got this right at 2*.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:54 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by United747
For the meal here, I settled on the roast goose ...
Curious, is the roast goose at a Michelin starred restaurant in HK, that much better than the "on the street" roast goose? (not looking at service differences, strictly inquiring as to quality/taste of goose)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Curious, is the roast goose at a Michelin starred restaurant in HK, that much better than the "on the street" roast goose? (not looking at service differences, strictly inquiring as to quality/taste of goose)
Not in the least. Sun Wah is just as good. And it kinda pains me to say that. Lesson learned
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:45 pm

One of my favorites is Kam's Roast Goose, I believe that is/was a 1 Michelin star, but it is a hole in the wall.
I personally didn't taste a difference between fine dining and a very good hole in the wall/street vendor.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:01 am

Hope you have a good trip in HK! As a local and a foodie, I can tell you that Lung King Heen is only good for dim sum and it is very good at that. Wouldn't go there for dinner though. If you are into fancy Cantonese food, try the Chairman next time. There are others that would be better for specific dishes but overall, Chairman is a good bet
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Hope you have a good trip in HK! As a local and a foodie, I can tell you that Lung King Heen is only good for dim sum and it is very good at that. Wouldn't go there for dinner though. If you are into fancy Cantonese food, try the Chairman next time. There are others that would be better for specific dishes but overall, Chairman is a good bet
I did have a good trip. I'm done with the idea of fancy Chinese. IMO, Michelin restaurants do one or two things well consistently. French and "new American" or whatever it's called.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: some
Guinea foul, eh? Sounds....awful (or should that be 'offal') ;-) (I suppose you mean 'fowl')

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.