Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Le Vivier - L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue *

When we arrived at the restaurant the 3 parking spaces or so were already occupied and we started a search. After a while and unsuccessful attempts I decided to park at a motel, not sure if it was allowed. I got the impression it´s connected with the restaurant, which lies in an unattractive functional building with shops.
When we entered the restaurant we were positively surprised. The whole restaurant is furnished with Kartell furniture and accessories, a brand my company loves.

You can like it or not, she would have liked to take everything. I found it stylish.
The meal started with an Amuse Bouche.

When I saw it, I was surprised. I had told them that we don´t eat meat, but it was ham on it. I removed it, so not the biggest problem. The Mozzarella-foam tasted OK. I would call it solid.
For the first course I ordered Fresh morels, asparagus, pink schrimps and lapsang souchon sabayon. It sounded great and they charged 10,00 € surcharge.

When I tried it I was shocked. First I found something like bacon-pieces in my food. The roasted cheese or whatever it was tasted of pork fat. The morels and asparagus were OK. Even if I waive the meat-problem not a good dish.
My company ordered Open ravioli of haddock and mussels, apple and celeriac.

My company thought it tasted strange. I tried and had rubbery pure white fat in my mouth. Even the rest tasted terrible and if I now look on the picture, the dish barely meets the requirements of an appealing meal.
Our main-course was roast scallop, watercress, ginger and cauliflower,

OK, no meat this time, but the dish was underwhelming. Worst thing was the sauce which simply didn´t match and had an unpleasant taste. The other components were also underwhelming. To be fair the scallops were good prepared. Not good!
As desert my company had the selection of chocolate dessert.

It was tasty and good, I would say on the level of a good restaurant. I had the apple, pistachio and matcha-tea combination.

Not bad at all and solid.
Last: Petit fours:

What a meal! Who gave this restaurant a star? It was without joking one of the worst meals I ever had in a starred restaurant, nothing was even near the expected level. This restaurant should be avoid at all costs, to add the icing on the cake we were both ill after our visit and I get still sick when I remember.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by emma69
I was just wondering if anyone had tried dinner at Tin Lung Heen in Hong Kong (at the Ritz on the Kowloon side) I am thinking of dinner there when I am in town, and just wondered if anyone had any experiences to share?
Good, but I prefer Sung Tung Lok.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
House of Tides, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

Our lunch experiences, May 2017

A week before our holiday in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK my fiancé found out there was a 1 Michelin starred restaurant located there by the river Tyne. We decided to try our luck and booked a table for two in such a relatively short time frame. We could even choose our preferred time online.

Lunch at the House of Tides is only available on Fridays and Saturdays. We went on a Friday in May 2017.

We liked the Vegetarian Tasting Menu, because it fit our needs best and sounded on the one side grounded, but also a bit adventurous and was another all vegetarian experience after having had lunch and dinner at the Zirbelstube, which holds 1 Michelin star, in Stuttgart, Germany, which was very Avant-garde and exciting by Chef Sebastian Prüßmann who left this restaurant recently for personal reasons.

The House of Tides is located in a 16th century building near the Tyne river and below the High Level Bridge. The chef patron is Kenny Atkinson.

When we arrived we could spy a bit into the kitchen. It was similar to our experience at Sant Pau in Tokyo, where the structure is postmodern and diners can't look into the kitchen, but pedestrians can.

When entering the restaurant we were warmly greeted and our jackets were taken. The bar on the ground floor was cosy.

We were asked if we wanted to go up to the dining room on the first floor or preferred to have a drink at the bar. We decided to go ahead with lunch, so we were brought immediately upstairs.

The restaurant had kept the original beams and other features. We liked the feel of the dining room.

House of Tides was nearly booked out. Our fellow diners were mostly older and British, but there were some Asian and younger guests too which added to the atmosphere IMHO.

Service was impeccable, warm and welcoming. Having provided our dietary requirements before, they just double checked who couldn't eat what.

We decided to have the complete vegetarian tasting menu excluding the cheese course.

Our still water was sourced from the area [Northumberland] and was called Marlish and suited our meal.

Our signature House of Tides cocktails were Rum Re-Fashioned (rum, brown sugar and ginger bread syrup) and Tropical Tides, made with Durham Vodka, which comes from nearby, plus Passoa, Passionfruit and Mango.

Both cocktails were very delicious and the Tropical Tides specifically brought back memories of sunny and warm holidays.

The meal started with Ewes Curd, Linseed, Apple; Carrot, Fennel, Meringue; Onion, Cream Cheese, Truffle and Feta, Gooseberry, Mustard.

There was cheese on a thin disc, a cone filled with ewes curd and linseeds, a macaroon and a lightly fried cheese with micro greens. All of it was treated as finger food. It was delicious and the different textures and flavors were to our taste and we would have no problems to have it all over again.

Next was a more traditional dish of Fermented Rye Bread and Cultured Butter. Both were excellent.

One of our favorite dishes was the Parmesan Royal, Quail Egg. It was a pastry filled with poached quail egg and a fluid Parmesan sauce. It was quite large and a bit messy to eat, but had great taste and was fun.

This was followed by more traditional courses of Asparagus, Jersey Royal Potatoes, Morels (The mushrooms in his dish were replaced by Tenderstem Broccoli.) and Ragstone [goat cheese] Gnocchi, Spring Vegetables.

Both made us think of the season. They were beautiful to look at and tasty. The gnocchi were among the finest we enjoyed so far during our culinary experiences.

The Gariguette Strawberries and Curry Leaves came in an artistic globe and was a palate cleanser.

The crowning glory was Dark Chocolate, Hazelnut, Gold Leaf - a fantastic light signature cake. The design of the gold leaf on the cake matched the plate perfectly.

My fiancé enjoyed a glass of Royal Tokaj Blue Label 2009 with the desserts which he found wonderful and moreish.

The crockery was equally sourced from Newcastle upon Tyne and surroundings, which we actually liked a lot.

To round up our meal we decided to have green tea and treats, which were caramel chocolates. They were like the Parmesan Royal, large and better eaten in one go. Otherwise the fluid caramel center would spill.

We spent 2.5 hours at House of Tides and were rather sorry to leave after paying our bill of ca. 164 GBP (ca. 191.20 Euro / ca. 212.20 USD) including 12.5 % Service Charge.

We would return again, because we liked the atmosphere, the architecture, friendliness of the young and good looking staff and the memorable dishes. We believe the lunch menu is indeed good value at 55 GBP (ca. 64.10 Euro / ca. 71.20 USD) plus Service Charge, considering the superb ingredients used.

Here are some of our images we took during our lunch at House of Tides, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK, May 2017:

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to enjoy again lunch/dinner at this restaurant in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

House of Tides looks good, I like British cousine.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks offerendum, we enjoyed our vegetarian tasting menu, House of Tides comes highly recommended.

A beautiful restaurant in a landmark fully restored building near the river Tyne by the quays.

Memorable, high quality, superb service/quality standards.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old May 22, 2017, 8:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Jean-Georges NYC Lunch

I apologize for the bad pictures. I was just looking them over and they look horrible!

Anyway, I had lunch this weekend at Jean-Georges and it was as great as I remember.

I arrived a few minutes early for my already early reservation, 11:45 IIRC. That was the only time that worked in my schedule. But I was warmly greeted and told it would be just a minute. Sure enough, In about 2 minutes I was taken to my seat.

Really my only gripe about the meal was my table. I've sat at the table before and it is really awkward. Here's a pic (taken from their website and with my added circle!)

I felt like I was sitting at the table with the people behind me. I heard every single thing they said.

But to the main event:

This is the amuse of salmon soaked in beet and asparagus with some sauce (forgot what). There was also a little herb soup.

Course one was pea soup with parmesan foam and olive oil croutons.

#2 was black pepper crab dumplings

Third was sweetbreads with a sweet chili emulsion

Lastly were some mignardises of marshmallow, chocolates, and a sweet fruit candy.

The overall meal was fantastic, each course was very good and the service was nice as well. It did start off a little removed, but my table captain opened up towards the end of the meal. And it is still a fantastic deal IMO. my total bill was $100 (exactly, I was proud of myself) after tea and a house made soda.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I once had the table on the left of yours. Much better....
Glad JG still delivers......
Old May 23, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Danny Parker is on Great British Menu this week. On last night's episode he presented a dish with 22 separate vegetables. Looked amazing.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Danny Parker is on Great British Menu this week. On last night's episode he presented a dish with 22 separate vegetables. Looked amazing.
Sounds great!
Old May 28, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fanny Rey - Saint Remy de Provence *

Fanny Rey participated in a French TV-show. Pastry chef is Jonathan Wahid.
The restaurant is modern furnished.

The menu - especially the Wellness & Balance menu is incredible value.

Amuse Bouche

Good!

Non-alcoholic cocktail:

Bread

Broth Wellness

Very fresh, I liked it!

Langoustines

I had 2.... Also very fresh with good textures.

Flowers

Beautiful dish in all ways! The highlight of the menu.

Red mullet

Without doubt good, but not as good as the other dishes.

Cheese:

Strawberry cocktail

Nice

Chocolaterie

Very good desert!

Petit Fours:

I enjoyed our meal, Fanny Rey has definitively potential. I guess we will hear some things from this restaurant in the future. Only thing I was angry about, that I din´t eat twice and did instead the long drive to terrible Le Vivier.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any experiences with Jules Verne Paris recently?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:56 pm

Restaurant Gordon Ramsay ***

Took me long enough to discover this thread...

I had a hard enough time booking a table, since 10 weeks out (!) there was one solitary table that wasn't a 2:30pm lunch or 8:30pm dinner for the last week of April. I ended up booking that last table for a noon lunch on a Thursday.

The restaurant itself is barely marked, with a small plaque next to the door. There looked to only be street parking nearby, but I had walked over from the tube station so I'm not entirely sure. Once inside they offered to take my coat and offered me a drink and a plate of macadamia nuts while I waited for the rest of party. The interior of the restaurant itself is generally dimly lit with the sheer blinds covering the windows (which I prefer, but makes pictures less fun).

Once seated I opted for à la carte menu, which is also currently listed on the restaurant's website.

A chilled pea and cheese amuse bouche, which was excellent

Pressed foie gras, green apples, turnips, watercress, smoked duck, which was my favorite course of the meal.

Braised, confit, and roasted Herdwick lamb, spring vegetable 'navarin', which I though had its ups and downs. While the chops were fantastic, I found the other cuts of lamb to be a bit tough and overcooked.

The main was followed by a bit of an odd pineapple and coconut palate cleanser, which resulted in little bits of coconut getting stuck in my teeth everywhere.

Caramel milk chocolate, malt mousse, treacle granola, praline, hazlenut milk, which was a great end to the meal. It wasn't overly sweet, which is more to my liking

Petite fours

We were also invited to a brief kitchen tour after lunch. It was surprisingly quiet, with very few words being spoken in the kitchen.

Overall I would have to say the food was very good, but the main was a little disappointing, especially since the Maître D' mentioned that it was a signature dish that had been popular for a long time. The service wasn't overbearing, which was greatly appreciated (because no one wants to stop their conversation and say Thank You ever 15 seconds) and the restaurant staff knew the food very well.

That being said I was much more impressed in food and service by Lung King Heen (***, HKG), even though it was for dinner instead of their dim sum lunch service.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by steveman518

Overall I would have to say the food was very good, but the main was a little disappointing, especially since the Maître D' mentioned that it was a signature dish that had been popular for a long time. The service wasn't overbearing, which was greatly appreciated (because no one wants to stop their conversation and say Thank You ever 15 seconds) and the restaurant staff knew the food very well.

That being said I was much more impressed in food and service by Lung King Heen (***, HKG), even though it was for dinner instead of their dim sum lunch service.
Deja vu - I had an a la carte meal at RGR two years ago with those same two choices, i.e., the pressed foie gras and the lamb, and I had similar thoughts afterwards. The lobster and langoustine ravioli is by far the best dish I've had at this restaurant, and it would rank near the top of my list of 'best signature dishes'. I was kicking myself for ordering the lamb instead that evening.

Even that palate cleanser looks identical to what we had, only ours was passion fruit not coconut.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Joel Robouchon, Mote Carlo **

Next restaurant: Joel Robouchon, 2 star restaurant at Metropole hotel Monte Carlo.
Valet parking was quick and doormen very friendly. Metropole is old fashioned but opulent. We found fast the way to the restaurant which was nearly full. The furniture is like the hotel not the newest fashion but nevertheless elegant.
We were showed our table and placed our order. As we decided before we opted for the vegetarian menu which is priced reasonable with 99,00 €. I like at the Joel Robouchon restaurants, that they mostly offer a good vegetarian option.
The menu:

We got 2 non-alcoholic cocktails:

Definitively above average!

Amuse Bouche:

The whole evening was “big cinema”. While the restaurants in Provence focused mainly on food the restaurants in Monaco offered also a show. One of the elements were the bread-wagon.

The selection was indeed formidable. They came every few minutes and offered replenishments.

What we got were in fact outstanding bread:

The first course, which I liked. The dish was well balanced and had some nice flavors.

Second course was very fresh and tasted great:

The asparagus! Also a very good dish:

Now the main course! It was a huge serving but I found it too spicy and the rice too hard. Not a positive memorable dish.

The desert was small, but I liked it.

They had (open the curtain) a desert wagon. It wasn´t part of our menu so we only ate with our eyes:

Part of the menu was coffee or tea. Like the bread tea was celebrated. They have a tea wagon with several plants to do fresh tea:

The tea was good and in general a good idea.

Petit fours:

The kitchen wasn´t perfect during our visit but with exemption of the main course on a very high level. Service was attentive and without failure. I can recommend Joel Robouchon Monte Carlo and would visit again. Value was very good in my eyes.

P.S. At the end "madame" got a present. It was this cake:
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveman518
We were also invited to a brief kitchen tour after lunch. It was surprisingly quiet, with very few words being spoken in the kitchen.

Know both and would rate Lung King Heen "more interesting", but found quality at Gordon Ramsey (still under Clare Smyth) better. I like that you often show the kitchen in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.