Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Tried Roister, it was meh. Sat downstairs. Girl and the Goat was amazing. Wife wants to go back for the dessert again, and she doesn't even like dessert.
I love the look of their menu at G&tG. Hopefully I can find someone to come along with me. Which dessert did your wife have?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Gabriel Kreuther - absolutely delicious. Fantastic ambiance (classy but not stuffy at all). Was here for my birthday, and they definitely comped us on some dishes that had additional supplements. Got a copy of the menu and the handwritten kitchen receipt hand-signed by GK. Not sure I'd go back too frequently (the prix fixe at $142 for 4 courses is on the steeper side), but it's an excellent addition to the Michelin collection in NYC.

Next up - the new Chef's Table location on Friday!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:21 am

Chef's Table last night - they have a new space in Manhattan as they renovate the Brooklyn location; apparently, this location on Manhattan's Far West Side (37th between 9/10th Avenues) will be the new permanent location of Chef's Table, while the Brooklyn location will become a 'concept restaurant'. The new dining room has lots of beautiful wooden finishes, a roomier feel to the counter, and some booths/tables along the side (but definitely get the countertop space - watching the food get made is a lot of the fun). While the menu has changed a bit since my last visit more than 3 years ago, a couple of signatures (uni topped with black truffle, and a course with an incredibly generous amount of caviar) are still present. In my opinion - still the best restaurant in NYC, and just a perfect fusion of Japanese cuisine with contemporary American cuisine. A few pictures below for everyone to savor over...

Tart with trout roe

Uni with black truffle

Caviar with kobacha puree

Abalone with foie gras - my favorite course of the evening
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: points traveller
how'd you manage to take photos? have they become more relaxed now the location has changed?

had a great meal there last year when it was in brooklyn. preferred it to EMP!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Glad about the new location. Brooklyn was always the reason I choose other restaurants.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
how'd you manage to take photos? have they become more relaxed now the location has changed?

had a great meal there last year when it was in brooklyn. preferred it to EMP!
As long as you are not taking pictures of the chefs preparing the food during the actual meal, I don't think there is an issue. I honestly forget what I did last time in 2013, but I remember that being the key takeaway at the old location in Brooklyn.

Speaking of Michelin restaurants, had a totally unplanned lunch at Babbo (1 star) today...walked in for bar seating. The pasta here is phenomenal (I had a beef cheek ravioli with a decadent black truffle sauce to die for)...the secondi was a bit more interesting (scallop seared in brown butter, served with lentils and julienned apple slices). Great wine selection...would love to come back for dinner sometime.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:16 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Chef's Table last night - they have a new space in Manhattan as they renovate the Brooklyn location; apparently, this location on Manhattan's Far West Side (37th between 9/10th Avenues) will be the new permanent location of Chef's Table, while the Brooklyn location will become a 'concept restaurant'. The new dining room has lots of beautiful wooden finishes, a roomier feel to the counter, and some booths/tables along the side (but definitely get the countertop space - watching the food get made is a lot of the fun).
That address...roughly between Javits and Penn Station. It's a food desert, though I suppose all of the current projects (e.g. Hudson Yards/other condo structures) are the bait for new restaurants to join the fray.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by LizGross144
You can check out Roister, Grant Achatz's casual place. Got its first star this year.

Edit: Just saw you already mentioned Roister upthread. I'd also recommend Boka, right next to Alinea. No jacket would be just fine.
I'll second the Boka recommendation, was there in September and had an absolutely fantastic meal. Relaxed, superb wine recommendations and understated, but excellent service.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Absolutely flawless meal at Oaxen Krog, in Stockholm, last night.

From welcome to goodbye, the food and service were simply spectacular. About to travel, but will try and post some photos when I can.
I too had lunch at Oaxen this week.

To myself, their approach was almost perfect, loved the food for it's nearly Japanese or Korean elegant simplicity and the pure Swedish ingredients.

The home baked bread was also bliss as were the views onto the Baltic Sea.

Service is almost at Japanese levels while still relaxed, very happy indeed.

Worthwhile to also have a walk in the absolutely beautiful Djurgarden surrdoungings both before and after a meal. I think they even have a herb garden close to the historical shipyard next to the restaurant.

Last edited by mosburger; Feb 23, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:35 am

Had our first dinner in Florence last night at Enoteca Pinchiorri (3 stars). Got a cozy Old World elegance to it, with some new light fixtures hanging over the ceiling. Service was solid, and the food was excellent. Highlights were the baby suckling pig, spaghetti alla chitarra, ravioli stewed capon (seemed like some sort of braised meat), and the fried John Dory colored with squid ink. For the wine connoisseurs, this is a spot to stop - the wine list is incredibly long; there are options to drink bottomless wine by the glass as well. I asked for 2 suggestions (1 red and 1 white), and both were excellent - a rich, golden white from 2005 (forget the name), and a 2014 Burgandy Pinot that was very light and worked really nicely as a complement to the pasta and meat dishes.

Worth a visit for sure, although it is arguably a little pricey for what it is. Leaning towards a 4/5 on the rating scale. Will some pictures later.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Had our first dinner in Florence last night at Enoteca Pinchiorri (3 stars). Got a cozy Old World elegance to it, with some new light fixtures hanging over the ceiling. Service was solid, and the food was excellent. Highlights were the baby suckling pig, spaghetti alla chitarra, ravioli stewed capon (seemed like some sort of braised meat), and the fried John Dory colored with squid ink. For the wine connoisseurs, this is a spot to stop - the wine list is incredibly long; there are options to drink bottomless wine by the glass as well. I asked for 2 suggestions (1 red and 1 white), and both were excellent - a rich, golden white from 2005 (forget the name), and a 2014 Burgandy Pinot that was very light and worked really nicely as a complement to the pasta and meat dishes.

Worth a visit for sure, although it is arguably a little pricey for what it is. Leaning towards a 4/5 on the rating scale. Will some pictures later.
Some photos below of the food:

The red and white I had for dinner - both were excellent.

Spaghetti alla chitarra...amazing flavor, perfectly-cooked spaghetti, and those crispy bread crumbs gave every bite a nice crunch.

Baby suckling pig as the last main course of the evening before desserts...*drool*
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Maybe next year?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
What a great story and marketing-gift for the cafe
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Although not Michelin starred, I've secured bookings at Quintonil (#12), Pujol (#25) and Biko (#43). They are all on the San Pellegrino list of top 50 restaurants in the world.
Pretty excited!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:16 am

Ate dinner at Gramercy Tavern (1 star) on Tuesday. They were hosting Le Pigeon (from Portland, OR), so it was really more of their dinner than a traditional GT dinner. $300 for finger foods and champagne before the 6-course dinner with wine pairings. The private dining room and decor at GT is really nice, and the food was typical Le Pigeon...very much French-inspired but with a lot of fusion elements from Asia (both Eastern and Southern). The wine pairings were phenomenal - something I usually don't do. Very much enjoyed the experience.

Think I am probably taking a sabbatical from Michelin-starred spots for a while...next one may be when I am in Amsterdam in a couple months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.