FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:34 am
CappuccinoAddict

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Can't believe I am just finding this thread! Normally I head straight to the Miles & Points section on FT.

Had a rather disappointing meal at Les Amis in Singapore a few weeks ago (2*). I had the seafood tasting menu. A few of the dishes were meh (scallop, sea bass); the caviar and creme fraiche amuse just tasted like cream cheese. There were a few dishes with inedible garnishes, and there were several breads on the bread cart that I was told were for decoration only! That being said, there were a few standouts: the fresh spring tomato amuse bouche was divine, as was the lobster salad. I also should say that the sommelier was an absolute GEM. He could tell I was into wines and knew a thing or two and let me try some extra wines and gave me additional pours of a few of the wines. I also have to say that this restaurant is great at accommodating solo diners. There were a few of us solo diners that night and they provided each of us with a book at the table; very classily done!

I also ate at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Tokyo (2*) earlier this week. Service was very disappointing, though I think a lot of this was due to the language barrier (I don't speak Japanese), as I saw others around me getting better service when speaking Japanese with the staff. An example: a bread basket was plopped down in front of me with no explanation of what was in it, and no butter was offered at any point.. a little later on when I was given some more bread of a different variety, once again with no explanation or asking if I preferred a particular variety. I also didn't appreciate that the only Champagne available by the glass was a rather uninspired choice of Veuve Clicquot NV. Would've expected some more intriguing options. All of that being said, the food was remarkably delicious and well-presented, well worthy of 2 stars. Each dish was fantastic, in particular the foie gras/truffle dish and the swordfish. Wow!

I also had the chicken rice dish at 1* HK Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle in Singapore. I also don't get why this has a star. Very good plate of food for less than $2 though.

Contemplating a lunch at 2* Marcus in London this week since I got an OpenTable offer for a 3-course lunch with glass of bubbly included, for 55 pounds. What do you think? I see that most of the top restaurants in London are similarly priced. How does Marcus compare to Dinner by Heston or Helene Darroze at the Connaught for lunch? I'd rather save The Ledbury or Gordon Ramsay for a dinner.

Oh, one more note that may be helpful for others, I had dinner at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester (3*) last month and the wine pairings stood out to me more than the food. The wines were great -- with appearances by Bollinger La Grande Annee 2004, Chateau Cos d'Estournel 1985, Chateau d'Yquem 1998! Service was impeccable and food was tasty and a great value for a 3* but overall flavors and sauces were a bit repetitive and not as memorable as other 3* places I've been to in the last year and a half (Epicure, EMP, La Pergola, French Laundry).