Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
It was good. Not great. They have a "trip" menu with about 12 dishes where they give you a passport. This is a fun. A good restaurant but won't come back.
Thanks, I will temper my expectations accordingly.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I will be in Hong Kong and would like to try a 3 star Michelin. Initially, I thought about Chinese cuisine since how often do you come across a 3 star one, but going through the photos and the reviews has left my unsure if it's worth it. Has anyone have any experience with Bo Innovation, Lung King Heen, or Tang Court?

I've had 1 and 2 star Michelin European cuisine before so note sure if 8½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA and L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon would be so different.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:38 pm

Was at "L'eau vive" (2 stars) in Belgium between Namur and Dinant.
http://www.eau-vive.be/en/a-la-carte...discovery-menu

Had the discovery menu for 110 Euro. In addition to the listed menu there were 4 amuse-bouche and a first dessert (violet sorbet). Did not take any cheese.

Absolutely wonderful menu.

Did sleep at the "Espace Medissey" which is 2 miles away from the restaurant. Nice location.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I will be in Hong Kong and would like to try a 3 star Michelin. Initially, I thought about Chinese cuisine since how often do you come across a 3 star one, but going through the photos and the reviews has left my unsure if it's worth it. Has anyone have any experience with Bo Innovation, Lung King Heen, or Tang Court?

I've had 1 and 2 star Michelin European cuisine before so note sure if 8½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA and L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon would be so different.
I was not terribly impressed with Lung King Heen or Bo Innovation. The former was overpriced for it was (not very inventive and you can get dishes of similar quality for a lot less), and Bo Innovation's flavours just didn't do it for me - the molecular gastronomy aspect for Chinese dishes didn't produce the "wow" flavours I was expecting.

I have always been a huge fan of L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in HK, especially for their lunch menu which is probably one of the best value 3-star restaurants in the world.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I saw Mizutani got downgraded as well - was a bit surprised. Excellent sushi all around there (although I think Jiro is ever so slightly better)
I had a mixed experience at Mizutani about two weeks ago. I got a reservation for lunch, and ended up opting for the tsumami/sushi option (30,000 JPY as opposed to 20,000 JPY for sushi-only.)

I think Mizutani has a very good grasp on nigiri - I prefer his more subtly flavoured rice and the texture/temperature/consistency is absolutely spot on. The standard cuts were done extremely well, in particular the kohada, ika, o-toro, mirugai, tairagai were all exceptional.

The issue I took with Mizutani on this visit was that the kurumaebi and anago were all prepared beforehand - which strikes me as really odd for a sushi restaurant of this calibre. Many other places in this tier prepare both just before it is served - and I felt the quality of both just wasn't up to standard because of the pre-preparation, though they were acceptable.

Finally, I also felt that the extra 10,000 JPY for the tsumami course was a bit ridiculous. There were only three servings - hirame, bonito and awabi. Again, the bonito was prepared beforehand, and there wasn't much to elevate the fish from a typical sashimi cut. The awabi was good, but Yoshitake takes it to another level (the liver sauce accompanying the awabi is out of this world good, but Mizutani simply just served it up by itself and it was dry.)

At 30,000 JPY out the door, I was a bit disappointed in the overall experience. It wasn't that Mizutani wasn't good, but at that price point I expect absolute perfection and a few things just seemed "off" in a sushi-ya of that tier. I think back to my experience at Yoshitake about a year ago - much friendlier service, more tsumami courses with immaculate presentation and flavours, and nigiri that was nearly as good, at 23,000 JPY.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 11, 2016 at 8:56 am Reason: merge
Old May 11, 2016, 10:50 am

I guess I have had four Michelin-starred meals in the last month, all tasting menus:

London: Alyn Williams at the Westbury (*): Average tasting menu but the best petit fours I've ever had in my life. They make those excellent chocolates in house.
Rome: Il Pagliaccio (**): Ridiculously pretentious, gimmicky experience. One of the worst Michelin dining experiences I've had.
Barcelona: Cinc Sentits (*): Amazing, one of my best experiences
Barcelona: ABaC (**): Very good, but just a little bit too experimental for me. When they start bringing out the liquid nitrogen, I start to worry. I suspect that ABaC will be three star at some point in the future.

Of the four, Cinc Sentits was my favourite. I highly recommend it to anyone going to Barcelona. Was never able to get a table at Lasarte, El Cellar, Tickets, L'Angle, Dos Palillos, or Caelis, and cancelled my reservation at Moments due to indifferent feedback. Just as well - the two meals in Barcelona filled me for days.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; May 13, 2016 at 5:23 am
Old May 11, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Was on Mallorca and tried 3 restaurants with each 1 star:

Simply Fosh: My favourite, worth a second star in my eyes
Es Raco d’es Teix: Perfect prepared Food without chi-chi
Es Fum: Solid restaurant
Old May 11, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by tng11
I was not terribly impressed with Lung King Heen or Bo Innovation. The former was overpriced for it was (not very inventive and you can get dishes of similar quality for a lot less), and Bo Innovation's flavours just didn't do it for me - the molecular gastronomy aspect for Chinese dishes didn't produce the "wow" flavours I was expecting.

I have always been a huge fan of L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in HK, especially for their lunch menu which is probably one of the best value 3-star restaurants in the world.
Thanks on the input. I think I will do L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon for lunch on my trip. I was shocked when I saw the prices since you said it was the best value and then I realize it was in Hong Kong dollars and not US dollars. LOL

I think I will do either 8½ Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA or Sushi Shikon for dinner.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Barcelona: ABaC (**): Very good, but just a little bit too experimental for me. When they start bringing out the liquid nitrogen, I start to worry.
A restaurant that employs LN2 in its presentation can expect my departure shortly thereafter.

I'm here to eat, guys, not watch Bill Nye prove that rubber bands can be brittle.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
A restaurant that employs LN2 in its presentation can expect my departure shortly thereafter.

I'm here to eat, guys, not watch Bill Nye prove that rubber bands can be brittle.
And the thing is, the restaurant is obviously capable of plating excellent food without it because the rest of the meal was tremendous. It's an unnecessary gimmick
Old May 12, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G

I very much enjoyed lunch at Bo Innovation and I'm sure dinner is great too. Excellent service and very well executed food.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:27 am

The michelin stars rating in Hong Kong is a mystery to me

Bo Innovation deserves zero star. I was surprised when they had 2 stars
Lung King Heen, OK, good probably one star
Sushi sikon : overpriced, good food but can't justify the price
The Chinese restaurant at the IC is my favorite Chinese restaurant (the Japanese one is meeuh)

Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA , I love it, the food is very tasty. Not extremely upscale. Make me thing of the Mandarin Grill at the MO which also very good (especially at dinner). Did go back to both restaurants

Robuchon : one single table, so you most probably seat at the counter. The bread basket was very good. The food was good but not as good as Paris. Won't go back (I didn't find any Robuchon better than Paris, Monaco is a close call)

Amber has only 2 stars but is in IMHO better than all above

Keeping the best for the end : Pierre Gagnaire (the actual chef is supposed to leave soon if not already gone)

Speaking about Michelin star, there are sub levels inside each category
So you can be 1 star : weak, average or strong. Unfortunately these info are not public.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Was on Mallorca and tried 3 restaurants with each 1 star:

Simply Fosh: My favourite, worth a second star in my eyes
Es Raco d’es Teix: Perfect prepared Food without chi-chi
Es Fum: Solid restaurant
Fully agree on fosh, great restaurant, great setting

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 12, 2016 at 4:14 pm Reason: merge
Old May 12, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by CGRA

The Chinese restaurant at the IC is my favorite Chinese restaurant (the Japanese one is meeuh)
Are you referring to the IC HK or IC GS? I will be staying at the IC HK.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:33 pm

Are you referring to the IC HK or IC GS? I will be staying at the IC HK.
Your IC )
Enjoy the view
Old May 18, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Anyone done Acadia in Chicago, especially after their 2nd star? I think this is next on my list.
Yes, back in December. Was pretty good, nothing that blew me away though. Then again, it takes a lot.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
That is surprising - I ate there in early spring 2013 (in March), and I thought Tru blew away the other dinner we had in town (which was the vaunted Alinea - overrated IMO). Presentation was gorgeous, every course was so good, and it has one of my all-time dishes - black-truffle infused foie gras flan. I haven't been back to Chitown since, but this is one of the rare places where I would probably go back to somewhere I've eaten before, just because it was so good.
For Chicago, Schwa and EL Ideas are ones I have and will go back to multiple times. Schwa is my favorite restaurant in the world. EL Ideas being up there as well because, well, not many Michelin star restaurants will let you have a kegger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.