Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by Townshend
For Chicago, Schwa and EL Ideas are ones I have and will go back to multiple times. Schwa is my favorite restaurant in the world. EL Ideas being up there as well because, well, not many Michelin star restaurants will let you have a kegger.
Its a shame its impossible to plan in advance for a meal at Schwa. I'd really like to go, it seems right up my alley.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:42 pm

We will be in London in June and have our casual meals sorted out, but have a few questions about a few Michelin 2 and 1 stars.
How does Dinner by HB compare for lunch or dinner? I know the menus are the same but what about the experience? Our options are a weekend night or Sunday lunch.

Any thought on Benares? We had considered Gymkhana but it is booked, and we are also eating at Hoppers which is the same restaurant family as Gymkhana.
What about Hakkassan?
Not Michelin, but has anyone eaten at Berner's Tavern recently?
Old May 26, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by cakegirl
Our options are a weekend night or Sunday lunch.
Funny thing: I tried to book a table for 1 Person (sorry, I´m one Person). Not possible! Only 2 persons.....
Old May 26, 2016, 3:55 am

We will be in London in June and have our casual meals sorted out, but have a few questions about a few Michelin 2 and 1 stars.
How does Dinner by HB compare for lunch or dinner? I know the menus are the same but what about the experience? Our options are a weekend night or Sunday lunch.

Any thought on Benares? We had considered Gymkhana but it is booked, and we are also eating at Hoppers which is the same restaurant family as Gymkhana.
What about Hakkassan?
If it were me, I would book Dinner for lunch on Sunday. Many of London's finer restaurants are not open for lunch on Sunday, so if you can get a reservation, I would take it. And, it likely won't fill you up like other restaurants with 10 course tasting menus, so you can have another nice meal later in the evening.

Can't comment on the other specific restaurants you've mentioned, but if you are open to recommendations for other Michelin star restaurants, can easily provide.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Funny thing: I tried to book a table for 1 Person (sorry, I´m one Person). Not possible! Only 2 persons.....
Many London restaurants seem to be setup that way in OpenTable. Pied a Terre and Goodman come to mind, among others. For those, you simply need to call the restaurant and they will accommodate you if they can, or make a reservation for two and call the restaurant to tell them you are really a party of one. I've never not gotten a table as a single diner anywhere in London, provided the restaurant had availability.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Many London restaurants seem to be setup that way in OpenTable. Pied a Terre and Goodman come to mind, among others. For those, you simply need to call the restaurant and they will accommodate you if they can, or make a reservation for two and call the restaurant to tell them you are really a party of one. I've never not gotten a table as a single diner anywhere in London, provided the restaurant had availability.
I wrote them an email and it´s only an open table issue. No Problem to reserve via email^. So I guess I will Report back about this restaurant soon
Old May 26, 2016, 5:38 am

I wrote them an email and it´s only an open table issue. No Problem to reserve via email^. So I guess I will Report back about this restaurant soon
You made a reservation at Dinner? I was about to mention that I really enjoyed the scallops with cucumber ketchup, but a quick review of the menu tells me it isn't offered right now. My waiter steered me away from the meat fruit, which is interesting given that it's the signature dish of the restaurant. I'm glad he did though because the scallops were amazing.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
You made a reservation at Dinner? I was about to mention that I really enjoyed the scallops with cucumber ketchup, but a quick review of the menu tells me it isn't offered right now. My waiter steered me away from the meat fruit, which is interesting given that it's the signature dish of the restaurant. I'm glad he did though because the scallops were amazing.
Yes, we´ll see what´s on the menu, my reservation is for July.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I hate it when restaurants do that. I eat by myself a lot and 1 person takes the same table as for 2. I usually would then just book for 2 and say that the other person couldn't show up.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I hate it when restaurants do that. I eat by myself a lot and 1 person takes the same table as for 2. I usually would then just book for 2 and say that the other person couldn't show up.
Thought about the same, but wasn´t to keen about a discussion about the 50 GBP no-show fee per Person.....
Old May 27, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;

What about Hakkassan?
Just had lunch at Dinner about two weeks ago - they offer their regular dinner menu but in addition they offer a set £40 3-course lunch. Unfortunately, if you've never eaten there before, two must haves (IMHO) aren't available on the 3-course set menu (it's an entirely separate menu). These two must haves - the meat fruit starter, and the tipsy cake dessert!

As to the £50/pp late cancel/no-show fee, about a year ago I ran into this, and when I rang to cancel ~24hrs in advance, they allowed me to change the reservation to another date several weeks into the future without penalty. I then rang up a few days later and canceled that reservation without penalty!
Old May 27, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Dinner by Heston Blumenthal -- great British fare with a lot of twists. Reserve on Open Table. Reservations are fairly easy to get. You do need to put down your card though.

Gymkhana is very good -- Albemarle Street! Very posh. Reserve on their website.

Berner's Tavern is really disappointing -- at least for me and my friend.

If you are looking for English traditional fare but very upscale, try Wilton's.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Dinner by Heston Blumenthal -- great British fare with a lot of twists. Reserve on Open Table. Reservations are fairly easy to get. You do need to put down your card though.
Lunch or dinner at DBH? Trying to decide which one.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sig05
Lunch or dinner at DBH? Trying to decide which one.
If you eat a la carte/ tasting I would normally choose dinner to have the day for sightseeing
Old May 27, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Lunch is always a better value for these heavy hitter big names.

Dinner w/wine will set you back significantly.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:06 pm

I ended up booking Dinner by HB for Sunday lunch. We will definitely be ordering off the full menu! As I pastry chef I have to try the tipsy cake. The Frumenty(octopus) and turbot with seaweed ketchup sound interesting and someone recommended the chicken with lettuce.

I asked about Berners because we are staying at the Edition so we will probably end up there for at least one meal. The only other Michelin we have planned is Benares, other than that the list is more traditional/casual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.