Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think all can agree that being well dressed is an appropriate standard for an evening of fine dining for dinner...and that shorts do not qualify. Denim slacks/trousers should be appropriate depending on the rest of the outfit; after all, there are jeans that can cost more than an entire suit, and there is nothing necessarily inferior about denim unless one is a clothing fabric snob. My shoes alone can cost more than another diner's entire outfit, just as another diner's jacket or suit can be horribly ill-fitting and therefore be considered more poorly dressed than someone in nice jeans, a great shirt and nice shoes.
No objection - even some of my ties cost more than entire suits - but that´s not the Point, some very expensive clothes look awful. Also often no Jacket is better than this Jacket....
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:06 am
Suspended

I have been to Fat Duck, Aperge, French Laundry , Per Se, Daniel, Jean Georges !
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
No objection - even some of my ties cost more than entire suits - but that´s not the Point, some very expensive clothes look awful. Also often no Jacket is better than this Jacket....
True dat! Of course, I have yet to find a Michelin restaurant that requires a tie. At least that artifact of the old days has gone the way of the do-do. However, there are many Michelin restaurants that still require a jacket, as I've previously demonstrated.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by NinaThompson
I have been to Fat Duck, Aperge, French Laundry , Per Se, Daniel, Jean Georges !
Miam, Miam nice selection.
Which did you prefer ?
L'arpege of course ? Hhahaha
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:07 pm

was french laundry worth it?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
That question is best discussed in one of the several extant threads in the San Francisco forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/

cblais
Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:40 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
In the last year

Quince in SFO
Daniel in NYC
Ceil Bleu in Amsterdam
Providence in LAX
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Had dinner in late December at Tru in Chicago. The service was great, but the food was average at best. Lots of misses on the menu, with only 1 dish (out of 7) being memorable. Price tag was $158/person, so my wife and I won't be going back.

I've eaten lunch there many times during wine auctions, and it's very clear that their lunch menu execution far exceeds their dinner menu execution. Sadly, this experience at Tru seems to be getting all too common.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:21 am

In 2015, I had the following 3* restaurants
In chronological order

1. Eleven Madison Park. I took a red eye to JFK, spent the day in NYC, went to EMP for dinner. Went home the next morning. I really flew to NYC for this restaurant. It was in my top 5 of all time.

2. Esaki in Tokyo. This is a good place to try true Japanese kaiseki. Some dishes were outstanding, but overall, I don't think it's worthy of the 3*. Maybe 2*.

3. Quintessence in Tokyo. This is a true 3* star. Better French food here than 3* in France. I would fly to Tokyo just for Quintessence.

4. Koryu in Osaka. Another true 3* star for me. I would fly to Osaka for Koryu. Kaiseki at its best.

5. Taian in Osaka. Similar to Esaki. Some dishes were impressive, but more 2* than 3*.

6. Fujiya 1935. I'm confused about this place. I think the spanish influence messed it up a little. I do like some of the dishes, but the wine pairing was not up to par for a restaurant this caliber. A solid 2*.

7. L'arpege. This was the most anticipated restaurant of 2015 for me and it was the biggest let down. I felt like I was waterboarded with beet. How many beet dishes can the chef send out? I think it was like 7. I think 2* is very generous here.

8. Le Bernardin. Also flew to JFK for one night for this. I've been here twice before and it's one of my favorite restaurants. A solid 3*.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:27 am

I refer to Michelin 3 star and some 2 star restaurants. For Michelin 3 star restaurants, especially in the big cities in Europe/Asia, there are far more that DO require a jacket than do not. For Michelin 2 star restaurants in the same regions, there are a substantial number that do, as well. Guy Savoy, L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, etc in Paris alone all require jackets for gentlemen.
I was at L'arpege this past Sept and I definitely did not wear a jacket. I think only about half of the patrons wore jackets.

Le Bernardin lent me a jacket that could fit 2 of me. Cyrus lent me jacket & khaki pants because I walked in in shorts.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:58 am

Going to Barcelona in March. Staying in Las Ramblas area. Interested in either Moments or Lasarte. Not a big fan of fish, if that matters. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

all require jackets for gentlemen.
And if you aren´t a gentleman, more a lubber?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Had dinner in late December at Tru in Chicago. The service was great, but the food was average at best. Lots of misses on the menu, with only 1 dish (out of 7) being memorable. Price tag was $158/person, so my wife and I won't be going back.

I've eaten lunch there many times during wine auctions, and it's very clear that their lunch menu execution far exceeds their dinner menu execution. Sadly, this experience at Tru seems to be getting all too common.
That is surprising - I ate there in early spring 2013 (in March), and I thought Tru blew away the other dinner we had in town (which was the vaunted Alinea - overrated IMO). Presentation was gorgeous, every course was so good, and it has one of my all-time dishes - black-truffle infused foie gras flan. I haven't been back to Chitown since, but this is one of the rare places where I would probably go back to somewhere I've eaten before, just because it was so good.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:08 pm

My fiancee and I will be doing our honeymoon in London and Paris in October. We have 4 nights in London and 3 in Paris. I'm willing to spend more on food because my flight and hotel(s) were purchased on points.

I won't say that we're foodies, but we enjoy unique experiences that Michelin star restaurants often provide, which certainly isn't present in Florida. However, we are really unsure of where to go despite countless hours of research. I will say that the London restaurants have nice lunch prix fixe to offset some of the premium you pay for the stars. We do have other places like Gillrays and Julie's based on family and friends recommendations.

My plans so far, but I am here for suggestions based on previous experiences:

London
Gordon Ramsay - lunch
Dinner by Heston - dinner
Adam Handling - lunch (we're staying at St. Ermin's)

Is Alain Ducasse worth a trip for lunch?

Paris
Guy Savoy - not sure whether dinner or lunch

There are so many restaurants that I haven't been able to narrow down my choices yet. We're staying at the Renaissance Vendome and would like something relatively close.

Last edited by sig05; Feb 1, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by sig05
My fiancee and I will be doing our honeymoon in London and Paris in October. We have 4 nights in London and 3 in Paris. I'm willing to spend more on food because my flight and hotel(s) were purchased on points.

I won't say that we're foodies, but we enjoy unique experiences that Michelin star restaurants often provide, which certainly isn't present in Florida. However, we are really unsure of where to go despite countless hours of research. I will say that the London restaurants have nice lunch prix fixe to offset some of the premium you pay for the stars. We do have other places like Gillrays and Julie's based on family and friends recommendations.

My plans so far, but I am here for suggestions based on previous experiences:

London
Gordon Ramsay - lunch
Dinner by Heston - dinner
Adam Handling - lunch (we're staying at St. Ermin's)

Is Alain Ducasse worth a trip for lunch?

Paris
Guy Savoy - not sure whether dinner or lunch

There are so many restaurants that I haven't been able to narrow down my choices yet. We're staying at the Renaissance Vendome and would like something relatively close.
We already discussed it at the best restaurant thread- the plan looks OK. Not really my choices, but it's your decision. Woudn't go to Alain Ducasse for Lunch. Food isn't the star here, it's the experience. I doubt it's as glamorous at Lunch as it is at Dinner.

P.s. Yes you save a lot at Lunch, but you loose a lot of the day. Also I normally take neverless the Tasting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.