Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:40 am

A small selection of Michelin * / ** / *** restaurants (mostly Europe & Asia) I have been to.
Never got disappointed.

http://www.hotel-sonnora.de
http://im-schiffchen.de/go.php?p=schiffchen
http://www.schlossberg-nennig.de/eng...rten/index.php
http://www.schlossbensberg.com/en/restaurant-vendome
http://tantris.de/home.php
http://www.schuhbeck.de/en/
http://www.auberge-de-l-ill.com
http://www.vau-berlin.de/en/
http://www.aucygne.fr/de/#restaurant

http://www.hongkong-ic.intercontinen...ning/spoon.php
http://www.alain-ducasse.com/en/rest...-ducasse-tokyo
http://www.robuchon.hk
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In my view, Michelin stars are by far the most reliable published ratings around the world. They still are done entirely anonymously, and normalised by region. The stars are all about the food, and are distinct from the Toques (on a scale of 1-5) which concern themselves with luxury (or stuffiness as some here would call it). Whilst it's unlikely that you would get a 3*, 1 Toque restaurant, in theory the two scales are independent. Toques are more correlated with price, but any restaurant which gets even one star will put its prices up sharply, and expect to be pretty well full.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Whilst staying in Les Trois Rois in Basel last week, I asked, more in hope than anticipation if a table might be available at Le Cheval Blanc, which has recently been elevated from 2 to 3 Michelin Stars.

About 10 minutes after the inevitable knock back, the phone rang in the room to say that there had just been a cancellation for the next evening if we still wanted the table - the answer was of course yes.

It was, inevitably an evening of superlatives. The tasting menu, at an eye-watering SFr 220 per head brought climax upon climax of last and texture.

There isn't time and space to outline every one of the 4 amuse bouches, 3 starters, main course, 2 desserts and petit fours that were on offer. Suffice it to say that climax followed climax.

Thoroughly recommendable and even at the inflated price, excellent value for money and to be recommended.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:09 pm

I've had my share of Michelin-starred restaurants (27 total stars, including 5 restaurants with 3* -- I keep track ).
My favorite, and my first Michelin restaurant, will probably be the French Laundry in the Napa area in CA. Beautiful and unassuming setting, small restaurant, like someone's home. Best service of any restaurant I've ever had.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:03 am

I'm heading to NOMA in Copenhagen tonight. Been waiting for this moment for years. Snagged a table for 4 after logging in back in September, using 14 different browsers and getting a number in the low 100s. Though it looks like some big tables might open up on short notice - this morning I saw a table for 5 available on December 9th at 12:00.

The other 2* places I've been to in CPH are AOC (Aaro & Co) and Studio at the Standard. I did the extended tasting menu at AOC and was impressed with the innovation of the dishes, but I thought the service was somewhat robotic and stuffy. The sommelier was very friendly and very skilled in his pairing of wines - he had it down to a precise science with very good control of temperatures and using different glasses/decanters.

Studio was truly in a class of its own and one of the best Michelin experiences I've had. I did their lunch menu which was an incredible value at 425 DKK (I also got a foie gras supplement for 225 DKK.) I was seated at the Chef's Table, right in front of the kitchen. For 2.5 hours I had the privilege of interacting with all of the members of the kitchen and Torsten Vildgaard himself, and watching them assemble dishes with impeccable, surgeon-like precision. The service was absolutely spot-on, a great balance between being casual and professional. I would highly recommend Studio if one can't book Noma! ^

Aside from these, I've also been to:

CPH:
Relae (*)

HKG (the Michelin guide seems to have gone nuts here, I personally don't think many of the places like Tim Ho Wan deserve a one-star, as the service is part of the rating, and I would file it under the category of "excellent cheap eats"):
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (***) ^
8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo BOMBANA (***)
Tin Lung Heen (**)
Ming Court (**)
Fook Lam Moon (*) ^
Ah Yat Abalone (*)
Ho Hung Kee (*)
Tosca (*)
Tim Ho Wan (*)
Loaf On (*)

Tokyo:
Sushi Yoshitake (***)
Sushi Saito (**)
Sushi Mizutani (**)
Sushi Sawada (**)

London:
Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester (***) (most overrated place I've ever been)
Lecture Room by Sketch (**)
Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (**)

NYC:
Per Se (***)
Eleven Madison Park (***)
Jean Georges (***)
Le Bernardin (***)
Babbo (*)
Sushi Yasuda (*)

Last edited by tng11; Dec 2, 2015 at 8:21 am
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by tng11
... as the service is part of the rating ...
No it isn't. Perhaps partially to appease criticisms that they only cover fine dining joints, Michelin (officially, at least) purely rates the cuisine, and not the decor, ambience, or service.

Which is how all these dim sum places got their star.

According to Michelin, stars reflect "what's on the plate and only what's on the plate". The five criteria they are judged on are:
· The quality of ingredients
· The skill in their preparation and the combination of flavours
· The level of creativity
· The value for money
· The consistency of culinary standards
Other criteria, such as décor and service, are indicated by fork-and-spoon symbols, and do not affect star ratings.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:05 am

I'm heading to NOMA in Copenhagen tonight. Been waiting for this moment for years. Snagged a table for 4 after logging in back in September, using 14 different browsers and getting a number in the low 100s. Though it looks like some big tables might open up on short notice - this morning I saw a table for 5 available on December 9th at 12:00.
I'd like to see your review of that. It's been on my bucket list for awhile along with El Celler de Can Roca, which I just can't crack.

We had a 'year in review dining thread' for a few years running. I'll gather my notes and start one for 2015
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I'd like to see your review of that. It's been on my bucket list for awhile along with El Celler de Can Roca, which I just can't crack.

We had a 'year in review dining thread' for a few years running. I'll gather my notes and start one for 2015
Noma was definitely one of the most memorable dining experiences I've ever had of my life. I can't say that I enjoyed every bite of what was put in front of me, but it was something of a revelation in the different textures/preparation methods that some ingredients can have. For instance, I experienced garlic in a licorice-like format and the most perfect egg yolk, which were delights for all the senses. The real hits for me were the seafood dishes, which included sea urchin from the Faeroe Islands with walnuts, raw squid with kelp, the mahogany clam and the frozen, thinly sliced monkfish liver on toast.

However, I was letdown by a few courses, such as the "beet tartar", "burnt onion" and the main course, the duck. The beetroot tartar just didn't taste anything special to me (though the citric taste of the ants was a pleasant surprise), and the texture of the centre of the onion was almost gritty, with the flavour not being there. The duck didn't feel special, as it was presented whole in front of our table with the breast being carved up - but it was up to us to split the dish. It came accompanied with a cabbage that actually detracted from the duck, which was perfectly cooked, but lacking in presentation. When the other bits of the duck came, it was up to our table to gnaw on the bones and pick at the parts like the tongue and the brain - and I was left feeling they could have done something more with those parts. (My comparison is Studio - which served the duck 5 different ways, along with impeccable presentation.)

The art of Noma seems to be the ability to transition these ordinary ingredients into a sensual experience. I think it is best described as "experimental" and "edgy", and not the place where you come for comfort food or just to have really well executed favourite dishes - it's where you come to reimagine how you see an ingredient.

The atmosphere is best described as being "cheery" and upbeat. It's a very casual setting with almost every one in the restaurant being truly excited to be there, and it reflects on the kitchen crew, who have a big role in presenting their dishes. What really made the Noma experience special for me is being presented the dishes by different kitchen staff and interacting with them, as you can hear the passion they have put into preparing the dish and talk about their varied backgrounds and philosophies.

At $420 for the menu, 2 glasses of wine, juice pairing, water and coffee, it wasn't for the faint of heart. If all I got was just the food, I would have said it wasn't worth it. But the experience of being engaged with the kitchen, hearing about the development of the dishes and understanding the techniques/innovation behind everything was a really crucial part of the experience that will make this one of the most memorable meals of my life.

(Dropbox link to photos from the night):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xw6jl0jto...WrODNbyka?dl=0
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:57 am

Noma was definitely one of the most memorable dining experiences I've ever had of my life. I can't say that I enjoyed every bite of what was put in front of me, but it was something of a revelation in the different textures/preparation methods that some ingredients can have. For instance, I experienced garlic in a licorice-like format and the most perfect egg yolk, which were delights for all the senses. The real hits for me were the seafood dishes, which included sea urchin from the Faeroe Islands with walnuts, raw squid with kelp, the mahogany clam and the frozen, thinly sliced monkfish liver on toast.

However, I was letdown by a few courses, such as the "beet tartar", "burnt onion" and the main course, the duck. The beetroot tartar just didn't taste anything special to me (though the citric taste of the ants was a pleasant surprise), and the texture of the centre of the onion was almost gritty, with the flavour not being there. The duck didn't feel special, as it was presented whole in front of our table with the breast being carved up - but it was up to us to split the dish. It came accompanied with a cabbage that actually detracted from the duck, which was perfectly cooked, but lacking in presentation. When the other bits of the duck came, it was up to our table to gnaw on the bones and pick at the parts like the tongue and the brain - and I was left feeling they could have done something more with those parts. (My comparison is Studio - which served the duck 5 different ways, along with impeccable presentation.)

The art of Noma seems to be the ability to transition these ordinary ingredients into a sensual experience. I think it is best described as "experimental" and "edgy", and not the place where you come for comfort food or just to have really well executed favourite dishes - it's where you come to reimagine how you see an ingredient.

The atmosphere is best described as being "cheery" and upbeat. It's a very casual setting with almost every one in the restaurant being truly excited to be there, and it reflects on the kitchen crew, who have a big role in presenting their dishes. What really made the Noma experience special for me is being presented the dishes by different kitchen staff and interacting with them, as you can hear the passion they have put into preparing the dish and talk about their varied backgrounds and philosophies.

At $420 for the menu, 2 glasses of wine, juice pairing, water and coffee, it wasn't for the faint of heart. If all I got was just the food, I would have said it wasn't worth it. But the experience of being engaged with the kitchen, hearing about the development of the dishes and understanding the techniques/innovation behind everything was a really crucial part of the experience that will make this one of the most memorable meals of my life.

Awesome, thanks for posting! What's number 3?

The meat in number 19 is mouth-watering
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Awesome, thanks for posting! What's number 3?

The meat in number 19 is mouth-watering
Number 3 is the beet tartar with elderflower and ants on top. The ants were probably the highlight of that dish (I'm being dead serious) with a very refreshing citric taste once you bit through the body.

Number 19 is my portion of duck breast from the whole duck. It was the most perfectly cooked duck I've had in my life, it had that melt in your mouth feel. I plated it like that for presentation purposes. The only letdown was the lack of presentation and weird pairing with the cabbage - otherwise it was out of this world good!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
NYC:
Babbo (*)
I didn't know Babbo had a star. Woo hoo I've got a star on my eating resume
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:01 am

Number 3 is the beet tartar with elderflower and ants on top. The ants were probably the highlight of that dish (I'm being dead serious) with a very refreshing citric taste once you bit through the body.
Thanks, I was wondering if the base was Amaranth. Reminded me of a dish I had at La Pergola. Somehow I just can't get excited about the thought of eating ants.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by thegoderic
Whilst staying in Les Trois Rois in Basel last week, I asked, more in hope than anticipation if a table might be available at Le Cheval Blanc, which has recently been elevated from 2 to 3 Michelin Stars.
I ate there earlier in the year. As a sole diner, I got really well looked after. Glad someone else enjoyed it as much as I did!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester (***) (most overrated place I've ever been)
True
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

Noma (at least in its current incarnation) is closing at the end of 2016 - would you recommend going there before it closes? I ask just as my wife and I might make a stop in Copenhagen at some point next year, but it's almost primarily to visit Noma (I'm sure the city is lovely, but the food is ephemeral).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.