Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
You know, there is a reason for this anomaly. Small town in France (and Belgium, etc) have examples of top level restaurants. For me the best restaurant in France is in the town of Chagny. However in small towns in the US the best restaurant is usually Cracker Barrel. Yes I'm sure you can find some good examples here and there, as you say Napa Valley. However the vast majority of the geography in the US is served by fast food restaurants, diners, and the occasional decent restaurant that isn't quite up to Michelin standards of quality.
Another fan of Lameloise, I see.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by CGRA
Except few exceptions, jacquet is not required in michelin star restaurants.
Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester required it - I had to buy a jacket while I was in London because I didn't bring one, and they refused to accommodate when I called to ask. Couldn't believe I went through that since the dishes were boring, uninspired and not even executed very well.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The newer diners are not like the Michelin diners of old...even in Europe. There's a reason there now are Michelin 2-3 star restaurants (even in Europe, and even in Paris) which don't require a jacket, whereas that was a rarity only a decade ago. The younger customer base is more casual, and Michelin fine dining has had to adapt a bit. But not enough. The fact that there is no dress code at Noma must infuriate Michelin raters because it dares that in Europe...but even I got away with no jacket at Guy Savoy and Alinea (but made my request and was confirmed in advance).
The staff at Noma pointed out on the night that I was there, that there were 4 tables of students there that night! Including my party, there were a total of 19 students there that night (all of us presumably studying here in Copenhagen on exchange), which is unheard of for a 2* restaurant.

I only saw a solitary table of 3 wear jackets that night, and even then it was with jeans. I personally enjoyed the meal much more because I could wear whatever the hell I felt like was comfortable.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by tng11
Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester required it - I had to buy a jacket while I was in London because I didn't bring one, and they refused to accommodate when I called to ask. Couldn't believe I went through that since the dishes were boring, uninspired and not even executed very well.
Sorry to hear that.
The few restaurants which require a jacket gave me one (I'm thinking of the US and France, can't remember if I face this situation in the UK ). Unfortunately it was only for the time of the dinner as some of the jackets were nice

Requiring a jacket and don't provide them is not very "michelin stars" oriented.

I could be wrong but believe Robuchon Vegas require a jacket, most guests had one, I never had one there.

I remember once at the GV a waiter almost shouting at a guest 10 meters away that a jacket is required in the restaurant......
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Except few exceptions, jacquet is not required in michelin star restaurants.
I refer to Michelin 3 star and some 2 star restaurants. For Michelin 3 star restaurants, especially in the big cities in Europe/Asia, there are far more that DO require a jacket than do not. For Michelin 2 star restaurants in the same regions, there are a substantial number that do, as well. Guy Savoy, L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, etc in Paris alone all require jackets for gentlemen.

Even many 1 Michelin star restaurants in Europe require jackets in season. We will be going to Venice in Oct 2016, and 1 star MET, Quadri, and Osteria da Florie all require jackets at dinner in the fall/winter.

Originally Posted by tng11
The staff at Noma pointed out on the night that I was there, that there were 4 tables of students there that night! Including my party, there were a total of 19 students there that night (all of us presumably studying here in Copenhagen on exchange), which is unheard of for a 2* restaurant.

I only saw a solitary table of 3 wear jackets that night, and even then it was with jeans. I personally enjoyed the meal much more because I could wear whatever the hell I felt like was comfortable.
My Danish friends told me, upon hearing my query about dress code/jacket requirements at Noma/Geranium, that in DK you would be allowed to wear a bikini if you pay the bill. I knew I was in love.

I couldn't agree more, and I loved Noma (and Geranium). I also loved The Ledbury in London, which also doesn't require a jacket--surprising in more formal London.

Of course, in California, only the French Laundry still requires a jacket of the 3 star Michelin restaurants--one reason I am not a fan. Saison, Benu, Manresa, and Meadowood steadfastly do not have jacket requirements...which is perfectly appropriate for more relaxed California.

Meadowood actually had a tag line on their website: "If denim is your preference, dark is ours." I knew I'd love it. And we naturally had a fabulous dinner and service experience there--and were able to joke around with the staff like we often enjoy doing. We actually laughed about another table with gentlemen all wearing jackets--all of which were ill-fitting and looking like they cost about $25 off the rack.

Wearing a jacket in no way ensures that a man is well-dressed...something that old-school fine dining restaurants (most often ranked in the 2-3 Michelin star milieu) would do well to acknowledge.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:37 am

I refer to Michelin 3 star and some 2 star restaurants. For Michelin 3 star restaurants, especially in the big cities in Europe/Asia, there are far more that DO require a jacket than do not. For Michelin 2 star restaurants in the same regions, there are a substantial number that do, as well. Guy Savoy, L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, etc in Paris alone all require jackets for gentlemen.
Not correct (once again ) Guy Savoy does not REQUIRE a jacket
Correct and uptodate information is key

BTW what Asia restaurants will require a jacket TODAY ?? (not 5 years ago) None ??,

I agree (finally) that a jacket doesn't always mean well dressed. Some of the jackets you can see are "fun" but it's still a jacket
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

My original statement:

I largely refer to Michelin 3 star and some 2 star restaurants. For Michelin 3 star restaurants, especially in the big cities in Europe/Asia, there are far more that DO require a jacket than do not. For Michelin 2 star restaurants in the same regions, there are a substantial number that do, as well. Guy Savoy, L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, etc in Paris alone all require jackets for gentlemen.
Not correct (once again ) Guy Savoy does not REQUIRE a jacket. Correct and uptodate information is key
First, I was last at Guy Savoy in late 2014 and it required a jacket; I had to email to get permission in advance to not wear a jacket. If that has since changed, my apologies.

Second, ignoring that L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, not to mention Alleno, L'Ambroisie, and Le Pré Catelan, all in Paris (major city) all require jackets for men does not help your case.

Third, Per Se, Jean-Georges, Le Bernardin (main dining room), Daniel (now 2 star), and Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare in New York City (major city) all require jackets for men.

Fourth, Alinea in Chicago (major city) requires jackets for men.

Fifth, Louis XV in Monaco requires jackets for men.

That also doesn't even consider the many 1 and 2 star Michelin restaurants--again in the major cities--that similarly require jackets for men. There are many. I mentioned that 4 of the 5 Michelin 1 star restaurants in Venice (major city) all require jackets for men during fall/winter, for example.

There is no question that there is far more likelihood in major cities in Europe, especially France and Italy, for a jacket requirement than anywhere else in the world. That is true of Michelin restaurants as much as luxury resort signature dining restaurants. It is getting less frequent, and for that I am ecstatic. But the jacket requirement still exists in plenty of cases in Europe, and even in a few "big business" American cities.

BTW what Asia restaurants will require a jacket TODAY ?? (not 5 years ago) None ??,
When we went to Caprice in 2013, there was a jacket requirement. If that has changed since, then my apologies. Amber had no such requirement.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:38 pm

I had a really interesting discussion about this whole dress issue with another diner and the crew at 2-star Studio at the Standard (by Torsten Vildgaard, who used to be sous chef at Noma) today. We all concluded that the more laidback casual, yet professional style is really the best approach at restaurants of this calibre because the star of the show is really the food and not how fancy you look. ^

Lunch today was even better than the last time I came here 6 weeks ago, there were only 8 patrons in total for lunch service. The squid and venison dishes were so well thought out and perfect. Both the raw oyster "snack" and foie gras were simply orgasmic. Left with the "wow" factor, which I didn't expect since my last visit was only 6 weeks ago (and I had just went to Noma last week.) Well deserving of the 2* it has, and it's a bloody shame Michelin seems to reluctant to award a 3* to deserving restaurants in Copenhagen, since I would easily place Studio, Noma and Geranium there.

Not as adventurous or raw innovation like Noma, but a very solid bet for a creative, well-executed and delicious meal, and also very reasonably priced at about $100 USD.

2015-12-10 12.37.42 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 12.41.46 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 12.46.29 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 12.52.48 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 13.06.29 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 13.22.37 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 13.41.11 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 14.07.46 by nomadtom89, on Flickr

2015-12-10 14.40.40 by nomadtom89, on Flickr
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:07 pm

IIRC no jacket at jean george (main restaurant)
No jacket at daniel lounge
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the past couple years,on our two visits to japan, my wife and i have had lunch or dinner in over 50 Michelin starred restaurants in tokyo or kyoto or osaka. some in private rooms, some at the counter. never a request for jacket.

almost all wanted one day advance notice(to procure fresh foods)

we were almost always the only caucasians in the restaurant. the table guests almost always engaged us in conversation as they wondered how we found the place, and how we liked it. there was a lot of excellent english available, as my wife and i do not speak japanese.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm always surprised by the angst over jackets here on Flyertalk. Personally I'm completely unaware of these restaurant dress policies because I would never consider going to a high end city restaurant without a jacket.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

I'm always surprised by the angst over jackets here on Flyertalk. Personally I'm completely unaware of these restaurant dress policies because I would never consider going to a high end city restaurant without a jacket.
To each, their own.

I am usually warm even in long sleeves, so wearing a jacket can be incredibly uncomfortable for me--since most restaurants are at a temperature that is great for most people but too warm for me.

I'm gay and love to dress up...so I desperately wish I could wear a jacket, since they offer such a great chance to snazz up an outfit. But it's not meant to be for me, alas. Comfort must trump a jacket requirement for me, even being well dressed otherwise.

We also live in California...where being more relaxed and casual is a normal part of the culture, even at almost all of the finest of restaurants. We find other ways to be well-dressed in lieu of a jacket. The jacket requirement is a class standard from a time long gone to us...and to me. But that definitely is not the mantra in many places in Paris, Milan, Rome, Venice, or even New York.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Same with me for dinner, but not for Lunch

I am usually warm even in long sleeves, so wearing a jacket can be incredibly uncomfortable for me--since most restaurants are at a temperature that is great for most people but too warm for me.
OK, I wear a Jacket every day, so nothing special

IIRC no jacket at jean george (main restaurant)
No jacket at daniel lounge
Daniel at Dinner is very elegant in the main restaurant, but what´s not my Cup of tea most men without tie. If I wear a jacket (i.e. suit) I normally wear a tie. At Jean George I wore a black suit! What a great experience to be the only one! One guy with shorts, the other one with jeans.....
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
At Jean George I wore a black suit! What a great experience to be the only one! One guy with shorts, the other one with jeans.....
and.... no bikini , that's shocking
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Daniel at Dinner is very elegant in the main restaurant, but what´s not my Cup of tea most men without tie. If I wear a jacket (i.e. suit) I normally wear a tie. At Jean George I wore a black suit! What a great experience to be the only one! One guy with shorts, the other one with jeans.....
I think all can agree that being well dressed is an appropriate standard for an evening of fine dining for dinner...and that shorts do not qualify. Denim slacks/trousers should be appropriate depending on the rest of the outfit; after all, there are jeans that can cost more than an entire suit, and there is nothing necessarily inferior about denim unless one is a clothing fabric snob. My shoes alone can cost more than another diner's entire outfit, just as another diner's jacket or suit can be horribly ill-fitting and therefore be considered more poorly dressed than someone in nice jeans, a great shirt and nice shoes.

My belief is that too many old-fashioned straight men (and their women) falsely believe that wearing a jacket or suit inherently make one well dressed, even when the jacket or suit fits poorly or are of low quality. It's easier to say jacket required to conform people to a certain standard, but it isn't necessarily better dressed. Conforming to a standard is also, thankfully, becoming less and less popular or expected for dress. Conformity isn't as celebrated in our modern societies as it once was, and I'd say that's a great thing.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone who is always warm I've always felt it was unfair that I could be dressed up in a sleeveless dress but a man has to wear a jacket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.