FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:43 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My original statement:

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I largely refer to Michelin 3 star and some 2 star restaurants. For Michelin 3 star restaurants, especially in the big cities in Europe/Asia, there are far more that DO require a jacket than do not. For Michelin 2 star restaurants in the same regions, there are a substantial number that do, as well. Guy Savoy, L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, etc in Paris alone all require jackets for gentlemen.
Originally Posted by CGRA
Not correct (once again ) Guy Savoy does not REQUIRE a jacket. Correct and uptodate information is key
First, I was last at Guy Savoy in late 2014 and it required a jacket; I had to email to get permission in advance to not wear a jacket. If that has since changed, my apologies.

Second, ignoring that L'Arpege, Epicure, Le Meurice, Le Cinq, not to mention Alleno, L'Ambroisie, and Le Pré Catelan, all in Paris (major city) all require jackets for men does not help your case.

Third, Per Se, Jean-Georges, Le Bernardin (main dining room), Daniel (now 2 star), and Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare in New York City (major city) all require jackets for men.

Fourth, Alinea in Chicago (major city) requires jackets for men.

Fifth, Louis XV in Monaco requires jackets for men.

That also doesn't even consider the many 1 and 2 star Michelin restaurants--again in the major cities--that similarly require jackets for men. There are many. I mentioned that 4 of the 5 Michelin 1 star restaurants in Venice (major city) all require jackets for men during fall/winter, for example.

There is no question that there is far more likelihood in major cities in Europe, especially France and Italy, for a jacket requirement than anywhere else in the world. That is true of Michelin restaurants as much as luxury resort signature dining restaurants. It is getting less frequent, and for that I am ecstatic. But the jacket requirement still exists in plenty of cases in Europe, and even in a few "big business" American cities.

BTW what Asia restaurants will require a jacket TODAY ?? (not 5 years ago) None ??,
When we went to Caprice in 2013, there was a jacket requirement. If that has changed since, then my apologies. Amber had no such requirement.