Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by gaobest
Post-play date grilled hot dogs with Doritos cool ranch

wild snow crab claws with toppings
Sauteed Argentinian red shrimp
raw radishes

leftover Mexican rice and leftover fish tacos

bowl of blueberries with Puffins and Kashi heart shaped cereal

I still crave more dessert. I’ll probably get a Melona bar.
How were the shrimp? I tried them one time and found them mushy. Possibly defective product which is why I ask.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
With being at home for work and play probably 95% of the time these days, walking the dog and going out for takeout rather than delivery have become welcome relief and even entertainment for me. So maybe takeout opens up some more options for you. But I realize it can be much more of a chore when you live in the city.

I like Spacca Napoli too. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for. I don't think one should discriminate against any style of pizza . But I probably side with Mr. CE more often since I try to avoid large amounts of bread. Tying in to "what's for dinner", last night I made a thin crust pizza with a fresh crushed tomato sauce - soppressata, red onion, mushroom, banana pepper & salad with a French vinaigrette. Tonight is flank steak and some kind of vegetable.
I have my favorites but I don't pizza discriminate either. I do discriminate about toppings. I won't even be in the same room with a pie that has green bell peppers, mushrooms or raw oniions (grilled/carmelized onions are awesome on pizza).
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tonight it will be gnocchi with Puttanesca sauce, accompanied with an orange and fennel salad.
corky, M60_to_LGA and JBord like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by corky
I have my favorites but I don't pizza discriminate either. I do discriminate about toppings. I won't even be in the same room with a pie that has green bell peppers, mushrooms or raw oniions (grilled/carmelized onions are awesome on pizza).
Boo! I love green peppers on a pizza. OTOH, there is no topping which I have to have. Yesterday, we had one with white sauce with garlic pesto and sausage, the other was a Margherita.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
OTOH, there is no topping which I have to have.
Other than cheese. I've tried those too-fancy-for-their-own-good pizzas without cheese and it's just not pizza. Call it flatbread or something else. I get that restaurants likely make them for vegans, but it's still not pizza. But I'm with you, as long as it tastes good, I don't care what's on it or not on it. The only somewhat common topping I refuse to eat is pineapple. Fortunately that's a rare thing here in Chicago, though not as much of a sin as ketchup on a hot dog .
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BamaVol
How were the shrimp? I tried them one time and found them mushy. Possibly defective product which is why I ask.
they’re great! I just thaw for a day in the fridge and then cook in olive oil at 3 min per side. Not yet mushy.

Sob - I love these things.
I love chicken but I’m not into chicken or other poultry on pizza. I probably don’t want lamb. I suppose also no horse, human, lion, dolphin, and turtle. No bat.

I enjoy baking pizza with raw onion. Plus even raw onion in salad, ala lou malnatis. Still don’t get how their raw mushroom in salad are so good because I fear eating raw mushroom. Maybe it’s because I only buy Bella brown mushroom at Costco.
oh, yes for raw mushroom, raw onion, raw other veggies on pizza. Maybe because it’s baked. Perhaps grilled pizza doesn’t succeed with these raw vegetables.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
they’re great! I just thaw for a day in the fridge and then cook in olive oil at 3 min per side. Not yet mushy.

Sob - I love these things.
I love chicken but I’m not into chicken or other poultry on pizza. I probably don’t want lamb. I suppose also no horse, human, lion, dolphin, and turtle. No bat.

I enjoy baking pizza with raw onion. Plus even raw onion in salad, ala lou malnatis. Still don’t get how their raw mushroom in salad are so good because I fear eating raw mushroom. Maybe it’s because I only buy Bella brown mushroom at Costco.
oh, yes for raw mushroom, raw onion, raw other veggies on pizza. Maybe because it’s baked. Perhaps grilled pizza doesn’t succeed with these raw vegetables.
I have no idea what your last paragraph says. lol
But have you never had BBQ chicken pizza or thai chicken pizza at California Pizza Kitchen? They are very good.
I love red, yellow, orange peppers but green peppers are vile....they even stink up the pizza box so I would never split a pizza with someone who had them on their half. I love raw onions on burgers or hot dogs or sandwiches or salads or tacos but that is it...much too harsh for pizza. Carmelized onions on a pizza are heavenly. I might have to make a carmelized onion & goat cheese pizza soon. I don't have arugula in the house but if I did I would for sure put that on top.
I buy regular shrimp and not the argentine red...do they taste different?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

My favorite trifecta of pizza toppings lately has been grilled eggplant, grilled shrimp, and ricotta (NY or New Haven-style). As for Chicago-style, I had a nice jalapeno pie over at Gullivers on Howard Rd. Indeed, caramelized onions, portobello mushrooms, and (at Limoncello in Cancun) langostinos are quality too, IMO.

Have no grievances with pineapple on pizza - al pastor pie, anyone? - but I strongly oppose mayonnaise. Living in East Asia ruined that condiment for me.
corky and JBord like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
The plan is to make chicken meatballs and serve with sauce over spiralized zucchini. Success hinges on going to the grocery store for zucchini and Parmesan.
Once you've had a lamb meatball simmering in a tart sauce, there's no going back.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
My favorite trifecta of pizza toppings lately has been grilled eggplant, grilled shrimp, and ricotta (NY or New Haven-style). As for Chicago-style, I had a nice jalapeno pie over at Gullivers on Howard Rd. Indeed, caramelized onions, portobello mushrooms, and (at Limoncello in Cancun) langostinos are quality too, IMO.
Gulliver's! I have a story that's too long to repeat here, but I can point to two marriages and five children that only happened because of one meal I ate at Gulliver's. (No exaggeration.)
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Other than cheese. I've tried those too-fancy-for-their-own-good pizzas without cheese and it's just not pizza. Call it flatbread or something else. I get that restaurants likely make them for vegans, but it's still not pizza. But I'm with you, as long as it tastes good, I don't care what's on it or not on it. The only somewhat common topping I refuse to eat is pineapple. Fortunately that's a rare thing here in Chicago, though not as much of a sin as ketchup on a hot dog .
I even like ham and pineapple (Hawaiian pizza), though it's not my first choice by a long shot.

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Once you've had a lamb meatball simmering in a tart sauce, there's no going back.
You're correct. I absolutely would not go back for that. I wouldn't go for it the first time either.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I even like ham and pineapple (Hawaiian pizza), though it's not my first choice by a long shot.

r.
Hawaiian pizza is great with either canadian or regular bacon or ham. Pork products go well with pineapple.
I guess no one is on board with pickles on a pizza? I know there is a honey on pizza thread....I like my honey mixed with pepperoncin before I put it on the pizza.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Calibur supper carryout

leftover chow mein, fried in hot sesame oil with bok choy. The bok choy was cooking a few minutes before I added the chow mein.
some grocery store sushi that wasn’t consumed for luncheon today.

I have no idea what your last paragraph says. lol
But have you never had BBQ chicken pizza or thai chicken pizza at California Pizza Kitchen? They are very good.
I love red, yellow, orange peppers but green peppers are vile....they even stink up the pizza box so I would never split a pizza with someone who had them on their half. I love raw onions on burgers or hot dogs or sandwiches or salads or tacos but that is it...much too harsh for pizza. Carmelized onions on a pizza are heavenly. I might have to make a carmelized onion & goat cheese pizza soon. I don't have arugula in the house but if I did I would for sure put that on top.
I buy regular shrimp and not the argentine red...do they taste different?
raw onion on pizza is fab. I just know that you grill your pizza so maybe raw onions won’t get a good effect compared to oven-baked pizza.
I have had bbq chicken cpk pizza. Never again. I simply refuse chicken on pizza.

I only bought Argentinian red shrimp because it’s wild. I prefer to only buy wild seafood. I know it costs more money. I’m sure it tastes just like any farmed shrimp. Really depends on how it’s cooked.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Comfort food night: Chicken schnitzel with capers and onions in cast iron with a side of sauerkraut. Good, fast, and cheap. Will try Solomonov's 4+ hour egg marinade version next time.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Rather strange combination .. only had a little as came from a heavy high tea 😊

Brioche , chilli crab & mash potatoes 😉

Usually chilli crab is paired with baguette / French loaf or man tou ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.