Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
This summer I set myself the goal of really perfecting my grilled onion game. After many failures, I think I have got it. Turmeric, garlic powder, dark soy sauce and white pepper. The sweetness of the onion is balanced out by the soy. Turmeric is just lovely anytime and white pepper adds a bit more punch than black.

Served my new found onions with scotch fillet and a green salad. The punters were very happy.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Rather strange combination .. only had a little as came from a heavy high tea 😊

Brioche , chilli crab & mash potatoes 😉

Usually chilli crab is paired with baguette / French loaf or man tou ..
That mash potato looks more like mayo. Chilli crab is outstanding.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
Hawaiian pizza is great with either canadian or regular bacon or ham. Pork products go well with pineapple.
I guess no one is on board with pickles on a pizza? I know there is a honey on pizza thread....I like my honey mixed with pepperoncin before I put it on the pizza.
Pork and pineapple together is good - just not on pizza.
Pickles on a cheeseburger pizza are perfect. I don't know that I'd put them on a different pizza.

Originally Posted by gaobest

raw onion on pizza is fab. I just know that you grill your pizza so maybe raw onions won’t get a good effect compared to oven-baked pizza.
I have had bbq chicken cpk pizza. Never again. I simply refuse chicken on pizza.
I'm with you...all the veggies I put on my pizza are raw. If I feel they need to be more cooked, I put them near the top so they get more direct heat. I do the same when I grill pizza - no difference in my experience. It's not that I wouldn't like them cooked too, I just don't see the need. And I think they need the right topping combo. Carmelized onion with chicken would be great. Not sure I'd want that sweetness on a pepperoni pizza.

Originally Posted by bensyd
This summer I set myself the goal of really perfecting my grilled onion game. After many failures, I think I have got it. Turmeric, garlic powder, dark soy sauce and white pepper. The sweetness of the onion is balanced out by the soy. Turmeric is just lovely anytime and white pepper adds a bit more punch than black.
I like the sound of that mix, will have to try it. The base is always the soy sauce IMO. Getting the right mix after that is open to personal taste.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Served my new found onions with scotch fillet and a green salad. The punters were very happy.
are you grilling these onions on a pan or grill? I’m curious since my grilled onions only have EVOO, salt, and cooking wine on pan although I did recently do it on the grill (on foil) when I recently grilled a steak.

I like that idea of turmeric and dark soy sauce since I’ve never considered tumeric for more than recipe-cooperation and my perception that it’s there for color in a curry. I’ll try yours although I only have the tumeric, black pepper, and low-sodium soy sauce (amusing since I used to enjoy having dark soy sauce and oyster sauce - Lee kum kee ftw!)
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:37 am

are you grilling these onions on a pan or grill? I’m curious since my grilled onions only have EVOO, salt, and cooking wine on pan although I did recently do it on the grill (on foil) when I recently grilled a steak.

I like that idea of turmeric and dark soy sauce since I’ve never considered tumeric for more than recipe-cooperation and my perception that it’s there for color in a curry. I’ll try yours although I only have the tumeric, black pepper, and low-sodium soy sauce (amusing since I used to enjoy having dark soy sauce and oyster sauce - Lee kum kee ftw!)
I can't speak for bensyd, but I'll cut large onion rounds and put them on foil with soy and seasoning, then on the grill. I think his mix would be a wonderful flavor to carmelize them on the stove top as well though.

You mentioned "cooking wine". Are you referencing the one that sits by vinegars on grocery shelves, or just a cheaper bottle of wine? One of my pet peeves is using that vile "cooking wine" which is basically the same price or more than a $5 bottle of perfectly drinkable wine. It's pretty much the only change I insisted my wife make in her cooking once we were living together, as she used that stuff.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I can't speak for bensyd, but I'll cut large onion rounds and put them on foil with soy and seasoning, then on the grill. I think his mix would be a wonderful flavor to carmelize them on the stove top as well though.

You mentioned "cooking wine". Are you referencing the one that sits by vinegars on grocery shelves, or just a cheaper bottle of wine? One of my pet peeves is using that vile "cooking wine" which is basically the same price or more than a $5 bottle of perfectly drinkable wine. It's pretty much the only change I insisted my wife make in her cooking once we were living together, as she used that stuff.
oh dear, have you missed the cooking wine posts? After I run out of cooking wine, I’ll buy some 3-buck chuck.
I don’t drink wine at home, so it’s hard to open a bottle to use 2-3 times a week at most for cooking.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:42 am

oh dear, have you missed the cooking wine posts? After I run out of cooking wine, I’ll buy some 3-buck chuck.
I don’t drink wine at home, so it’s hard to open a bottle to use 2-3 times a week at most for cooking.
Apparently I did miss those! Good plan.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JBord
Apparently I did miss those! Good plan.
Be thankful you missed it.
estnet and JBord like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tonight I'm metaphorically visiting France. It will be Chicken with Tarragon and cream, pomme puree and flageolets. Then Brie, Crottin and a good salad with a walnut dressing. The chicken will be washed down with a Jaffelin Bourgogne Ordinairre 2018 and the cheese with a Domaine de La Jasse Vieilles Vignes 2016 from the Languedoc. Not sure that I should be saying Vive La France considering their President's rather quirky behaviour, but I'll give the nation the benefit of the doubt!
corky, Visconti and JBord like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always use some balsamic for sweetness. It works great with the saltiness of soy.
bensyd likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You were offered a multitude of alternatives and suggestions. ...and yet you still use the cooking wine.

Originally Posted by kipper
Be thankful you missed it.
This.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Takeout night from Ramshackle Cafe. I’m having the broiled Delmonico with a baked potato and steamed veggies.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Stromboli pizza (yep, love it)
corky likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Tonight I'm metaphorically visiting France. It will be Chicken with Tarragon and cream, pomme puree and flageolets. Then Brie, Crottin and a good salad with a walnut dressing. The chicken will be washed down with a Jaffelin Bourgogne Ordinairre 2018 and the cheese with a Domaine de La Jasse Vieilles Vignes 2016 from the Languedoc. Not sure that I should be saying Vive La France considering their President's rather quirky behaviour, but I'll give the nation the benefit of the doubt!
Tonight I’m metaphorically visiting the Hood. Grilled Sabretts hot dogs, sauerkraut and Potatoes O’Brien. All washed down with a Red Stripe beer. Looking forward to it!
corky likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
You were offered a multitude of alternatives and suggestions. ...and yet you still use the cooking wine...
I still have cooking wine inventory. Zero reason to waste it. I’m not rich and even if I were, I wouldn’t want to waste food products. I drive past people daily who would gladly eat most people’s food discards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.