Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by corky
I find that since Kingsford changed their formula a couple years ago, their briquettes burn too hot and too fast...I used to get a much longer heat from them without adding coals...now they burn down way too quickly. I use hardwood chunks when I want super high heat but I would prefer the briquettes to burn slower so maybe those extrusion things aren't for me.
The company claims a 10 hour smoking time and 5 hours of grillin' from a 10kg box. I'd be very surprised if I couldn't get substantially longer on a smoke than 10 hours. (I usually use mostly briquettes when I smoke, just because I use wood to flavour so why waste good charcoal.)

https://firebrandbbq.com.au/product/...-bbq-charcoal/
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Penne with parm
pizza (1/3 cheese and 2/3 “greek” with feta, green olive, and red onion)
watermelon

susiecakes chocolate cake
haagen daaz chocolate in waffle cone
Coolhaus cookie crumb & Haagen daaz strawberry in waffle cone
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
Penne with parm
pizza (1/3 cheese and 2/3 “greek” with feta, green olive, and red onion)
watermelon

susiecakes chocolate cake
haagen daaz chocolate in waffle cone
Coolhaus cookie crumb & Haagen daaz strawberry in waffle cone
I hope you have had better luck with watermelon than I have. The two I bought ended up being really bland. They were a nice deep red but had no flavor.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Chinese takeout

1/2 roasted duck
crispy pork
char siu pork
corky and JBord like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I hope you have had better luck with watermelon than I have. The two I bought ended up being really bland. They were a nice deep red but had no flavor.
get those little personal ones...it has the word heart in the name.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Mine were delicious but also finished.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Chinese takeout
1/2 roasted duck
crispy pork
char siu pork
any starch or vegetable with these? I love these with rice. Usually at a restaurant i’d also have a steamed vegetable or any other vegetable entree.

get those little personal ones...it has the word heart in the name.
i just bought some mini watermelons (Sweetheart brand by Kandy - grown in Arizona) and it’s chilling now. Planning to have it tonight. Hope it’s good.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine were delicious but also finished.

any starch or vegetable with these? I love these with rice. Usually at a restaurant i’d also have a steamed vegetable or any other vegetable entree.

i just bought some mini watermelons (Sweetheart brand by Kandy - grown in Arizona) and it’s chilling now. Planning to have it tonight. Hope it’s good.
What? I thought you didn't eat veggies...is that just at home?
I have not heard of that watermelon...let us know if that variety is good.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I very rarely grill big cuts of food anymore so I am going to pass on the pit temp. I have in the past started a second chimney of coals but it all gets to be suck a mess with trying to remove the hot grill and someplace to put the chimney etc. I am not dealing with a lot of room. Fortunately my grill gate has the hinges so I can add charcoal without lifting the whole thing...I usually pour in some hardwood because it gets hotter faster. My sear was a lot longer than yours...maybe about 3-4 minutes per side and then it only needed 5-10 over indirect. I was shocked...I used another thermometer for insurance and they were both correct. I cooked the onions, sweet potatoes and avocados first so that is when my fire was at it's best...if it was just the beef, I could have had a bit more control.
What's the deal with those charcoal extrusions? I have never seen those anywhere. Is there an advantage?
Originally Posted by bensyd
Dunno. That's just how they come. They do generate more heat from smaller amount, that could be a quality issue though more than a shape issue.
Those are Thaan Thai-style logs (aka Pok Pok). They take a longer time to get hot, but they burn really long. They are available here in the States, on Amazon but you might be able to get them locally.

corky you are so right about Kingsford Blue Bag. I've favored Royal Oak for years for standard briquettes and got a 15# bag on closeout at a Lowe's in May for $3.98, but I did see 24# pack of Blue Bag for $10 during the same week and the price was too low not to buy. I have not used it yet as the house also has some Royal Oak private label stuff.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Herb crusted rack of lamb, roasted veg, and creamed spinach with a bit of Gigondas to drink.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was mega stuffed from luncheon so...

watermelon (“Sweetheart” by Kandy - grown in AZ)

bowl of ice cream with a waffle cone
safeway organic butter pecan
robbins Icing on the Cake
haagen daaz fresh mango

What? I thought you didn't eat veggies...is that just at home?
I have not heard of that watermelon...let us know if that variety is good.

we eat veggies and fruit all the time. So the Sweetheart watermelon is great but it’s hard to imagine bad watermelon right now. We do refrigerate it because we enjoy cold melon.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was mega stuffed from luncheon so...

watermelon (“Sweetheart” by Kandy - grown in AZ)

bowl of ice cream with a waffle cone
safeway organic butter pecan
robbins Icing on the Cake
haagen daaz fresh mango

we eat veggies and fruit all the time. So the Sweetheart watermelon is great but it’s hard to imagine bad watermelon right now. We do refrigerate it because we enjoy cold melon.
I agree...watermelon needs to be cold. I have gotten many a bad watermelon. I find that if it is really flavorless a tiny bit of sea salt or fleur de sel helps it. Or vodka.
Or better yet...make a watermelon and feta and mint salad with balsamic. yummmmmmmmmy
LapLap likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by csufabel
Those are Thaan Thai-style logs (aka Pok Pok). They take a longer time to get hot, but they burn really long. They are available here in the States, on Amazon but you might be able to get them locally.
Yeah they are harder to get going. Pretty much have to use a chimney or they just won't light. Once they're going though they put out a decent, consistent amount of heat that makes it really easy to cook with. Much better than using lump charcoal which is so variable.

I didn't know they were a Thai invention. The premium charcoal around here seems to always come as extrusions not briquettes.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I found potato soup in the freezer, so I'm thawing that for dinner. I've been exhausted this week (late night on Wednesday, early morning on Thursday, late night last night), so the comfort food aspect appeals to me.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tonight is street concert night and I invited a friend over to sit distanced in my front yard. I am picking up some yummy antipasto salad from an old school/red leather booth Italian place. I roasted some tomatoes and garlic &basil for bruschetta and I can't decide whether to order garlic bread from the restaurant too. She is bringing wine and cookies (not the funny kind).
Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tonight is street concert night and I invited a friend over to sit distanced in my front yard. I am picking up some yummy antipasto salad from an old school/red leather booth Italian place. I roasted some tomatoes and garlic &basil for bruschetta and I can't decide whether to order garlic bread from the restaurant too. She is bringing wine and cookies (not the funny kind).
if you’re already making bruschetta, then no need to order garlic bread because you can also just make your own :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.