Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bensyd
My nephew told me I couldn't do a better burger than he had in Aspen. I told him many things were wrong with his sentence.

Anyway, I made one using some brisket and sirloin that I had. Apparently he was right, but I think I at least got close.

Is your jaw detachable? Otherwise, how do you eat it?
braslvr likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Grilled chicken apple sausage with fresh cilantro chutney
spaghetti with meatballs in Rao’s marinara sauce
penne with Parm & olive oil

banana cream pie with Nilla wafers (I think I last had Nilla wafers in the 80s!)
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Is your jaw detachable? Otherwise, how do you eat it?
Really wasn't an issue. The bun was brioche and is pretty fluffy so compresses easily.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night I made the gourmet, no-bechamel/no-boil mac and cheese that a friend came up with and Mr Gfunk loves. I used cheddar and half a can of Allagash White.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Grilled chicken apple sausage with fresh cilantro chutney
spaghetti with meatballs in Rao’s marinara sauce
penne with Parm & olive oil

banana cream pie with Nilla wafers (I think I last had Nilla wafers in the 80s!)
Ok...why would you make 2 different shapes of pasta? I still am baffled as to why you can't all get on the same page rather than running a restaurant with multiple choices for dinner .
how did you make the cilantro chutney ?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Ok...why would you make 2 different shapes of pasta? I still am baffled as to why you can't all get on the same page rather than running a restaurant with multiple choices for dinner .
how did you make the cilantro chutney ?
I bought a specific pasta separator at a restaurant supply shop so that we can cook 2 pasta shapes in the same big wide pot. It was a very welcome $39.99 or whatever it cost. It’s a tall wire/mesh strainer for cooking pasta. I know restaurants have big boiling areas and that they need to cook different pastas at the same time for a table.
cilantro chutney - my spouse found an easy recipe using a blender. Cilantro, lime juice, some pepper (suggestion of Serrano or an India green, but we only had bell). I haven’t had any chutney because I had spaghetti. But the cilantro chutney required a minute or three.

as for 2 different shapes of pasta... why not? What can’t I do? Ok. I cannot parachute or fly aircraft.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by corky
Same.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as an example, these ACF poker plaques cost $35 apiece. What normal person pays $35 for a single poker plaque for a fun home poker game when $35 would cover hundreds of individual chips? That’s the kind of degen kitchen cooker that I am!
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

as for 2 different shapes of pasta... why not? What can’t I do? Ok. I cannot parachute or fly aircraft.
I say go for it. Although not my style, I would definitely love the leftovers for my lunches!

I had a good friend in college that grew up in a big (but not huge) Italian family. I loved going to his house for dinner because there would be about 3 entrees and a huge bowl of pasta on the table for about 7 people. This was normal for them. It was unusual to me then, but it made an impression on me, thinking how wonderful it must have been to have such a nice spread for dinner every night. Now, looking back, I just wonder how his mother had the time. And the whole family was surprisingly thin too!
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I reckon go for it. If you enjoy it then do it. Personally, I think you got the pastas matched up to the wrong sauces though.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Homemade chicken curry with lemon rice.

Served with a jar of pickled mango that seems to be exponentially more spicy than the last time it was opened.

Heading back to the kitchen for a spoon or two of yogurt.
corky and LapLap like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I reckon go for it. If you enjoy it then do it. Personally, I think you got the pastas matched up to the wrong sauces though.
the penne was with olive oil and Parmesan cheese - great staple for children. Do you prefer this shape with marinara? It works but I think any tube (or non-noodle) is fine with just Parmesan and olive oil.

supper tonight:
(still full from luncheon)
Haagen daaz strawberry ice cream
Safeway organic butter pecan ice cream
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the penne was with olive oil and Parmesan cheese - great staple for children. Do you prefer this shape with marinara? It works but I think any tube (or non-noodle) is fine with just Parmesan and olive oil.
Yeah, I prefer penne (specifically the rigate typem which is sort of roughed up so holds a sauce even better) for marinara. And for oil based stuff or something like carbonara then I'd use spaghetti. I know Italian-American classic is spaghetti with meatballs, but it's an exercise in futility trying to eat it. The pasta doesn't hold the sauce of the meatballs so you end up eating plain pasta followed by a big bowl of marinara meatballs!

Try your parmesan and olive oil concoction with spaghetti, maybe an egg yolk too and a little lemon juice. Heaven.
corky, LapLap, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Yeah, I prefer penne (specifically the rigate typem which is sort of roughed up so holds a sauce even better) for marinara. And for oil based stuff or something like carbonara then I'd use spaghetti. I know Italian-American classic is spaghetti with meatballs, but it's an exercise in futility trying to eat it. The pasta doesn't hold the sauce of the meatballs so you end up eating plain pasta followed by a big bowl of marinara meatballs!

Try your parmesan and olive oil concoction with spaghetti, maybe an egg yolk too and a little lemon juice. Heaven.
I agree. I much prefer penne and some of the shaped pastas for marinara.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I prefer penne (specifically the rigate typem which is sort of roughed up so holds a sauce even better) for marinara. And for oil based stuff or something like carbonara then I'd use spaghetti. .
Originally Posted by kipper
I agree. I much prefer penne and some of the shaped pastas for marinara.
Discovering that different pastas hold sauces differently changed my pasta experience a few years ago. I often still have to Google the matchups, but it makes a difference. Last night I made bucatini with an olive oil sauce (EV olive oil, pasta water, crushed red pepper, anchovy paste, shallots, garlic, parsley) and shrimp. Grated parm. I had only used bucatini in carbonara previously, but this was a good combo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.