Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Old May 13, 20, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I had my first ever crack at making pizza last night which turned out better than I thought. Set the kettle up with a full basket of charcoal and a terracotta tile up on a trivet type thing so that where the pizza cooked was further up in the dome where I reckon the temperature was 340c-360c/645f-680f. I left the lid offset so the fire was getting heaps of oxygen. It was 300c at the grill grate.

Last edited by bensyd; May 13, 20 at 7:28 pm
Old May 13, 20, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
I had my first ever crack at making pizza last night which turned out better than I thought.

Damn. That looks so good.
bensyd and Finkface like this.
Old May 13, 20, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Big yay on the pizza!!

my own supper of roast cauliflower and poached salmon was really good. Im super thrilled. Made cheeseburger sliders on the roll-ppang all thanks to LapLap.

corky, LapLap and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old May 13, 20, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Big yay on the pizza!!

my own supper of roast cauliflower and poached salmon was really good. Im super thrilled. Made cheeseburger sliders on the roll-ppang all thanks to LapLap.

what did you end up poaching the salmon in? Sauce on salmon ?
nice job
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 7:20 am

Programs: Free agent
I've got 50 oysters and a few lbs of littlenecks showing up tomorrow afternoon from a local oyster farm. Going to eat 2 dozen of them raw and then make a big oyster bake with the rest. Littlenecks will be served traditional New England style, steamed with drawn butter.

That cauliflower and pizza look great. That burger looks like a beautiful situation as well.
Old May 14, 20, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post

That cauliflower and pizza look great. That burger looks like a beautiful situation as well.
I agree. You guys are making me jealous. We bought a new house recently, and have been traveling back and forth between the two homes, moving, unpacking, and getting the old one ready to sell once people are allowed to go outside again . But it hasn't left a lot of time for elaborate meals lately. I think we have about a week of this left and then I can try the buldak, those sliders, and maybe a nice pizza on the grill! Unfortunately the large cuts of smoked meat are probably still a couple months away for me...
Old May 14, 20, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JBord View Post
I agree. You guys are making me jealous. We bought a new house recently, and have been traveling back and forth between the two homes, moving, unpacking, and getting the old one ready to sell once people are allowed to go outside again . But it hasn't left a lot of time for elaborate meals lately. I think we have about a week of this left and then I can try the buldak, those sliders, and maybe a nice pizza on the grill! Unfortunately the large cuts of smoked meat are probably still a couple months away for me...
I'm in the same boat, we've taken out at a ton of places since we moved or made simple stuff. It's usually a vacation spot for us as my SO's family lives here so we have our favorites and have patronized the ones that are open.

That said, I have a bunch of odds and ends getting here tomorrow from Amazon along with 50 fresh Wellfleet oysters from up the road. I also just had a 22" Weber set aside at the local appliance store to pick up on Saturday. All this, coupled with our new fridge, is going to lead to a hell of a weekend of eating. Raw oysters and steamers on Friday night, planning for lobster sushi (Live lobster is 6.95 a pound right now) and a big vegetable ratatouille on Saturday. Sunday will be trying the grill out for some fire-grilled fire chicken and some bulgogi over the charcoals. I've been talking with a guy on Instagram (@Yakatoriguy) and he's explained the method for doing yakitori over a full-size charcoal grill (It's similar to a 2 zone grill be with a small 3rd section) so I may try a few of those as well.

I've also been fishing every day.

Why the hell do I live in a city again?
Old May 14, 20, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I've been talking with a guy on Instagram (@Yakatoriguy) and he's explained the method for doing yakitori over a full-size charcoal grill (It's similar to a 2 zone grill be with a small 3rd section) so I may try a few of those as well.
Tell me more!

With pics too.
Old May 15, 20, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
Tell me more!

With pics too.
Well I don't have pictures just yet, I'm going to pick up the new grill tomorrow. The whole idea is to get the charcoal up a bit higher, either by just stacking it higher towards the grill or using a pizza stone/heat-resistant item to prop the charcoal higher. After that it's just a turn and watch and fan situation like with any binchotan charcoal grill. I think it would actually work with the chimney method that people use for searing steaks. I'll report back!
Old May 15, 20, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky View Post
what did you end up poaching the salmon in? Sauce on salmon ?
nice job
for salmon poaching, I used shallot, dill, and half a cup each of a $6.99 white wine (cheapest I could find at the grocery with the salmon at butcher counter and all those GF baking flours including GF flour!).
my spouse used a Greek yogurt / dill sauce but I enjoyed my salmon as it was without sauce!
i had intentionally bought a small filet, about 11 Oz, because I knew that I was having susiecakes for dessert. Plus if my poaching failed, I wanted a limit on how much would be wasted.

thank you! The cauliflower ingredients are sea salt and olive oil and the pot of boiling water. Plus 550 oven.

the burger is all thanks to LapLap! Thanks to these roll-ppang, Ill never again need to buy slider buns. Thats $0.50/roll. At some point Ill try making burger buns or other buns with that same dough.

I really want to make Parker rolls - I have to read a recipe and either use the Maangchi instructions & ingredients or Ill use the actual Parker roll recipe that I find.

ft has really helped me with cooking and of course saving money by getting that big united refund. Its been very helpful this year
Old May 15, 20, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
for salmon poaching, I used shallot, dill, and half a cup each of a $6.99 white wine (cheapest I could find at the grocery with the salmon at butcher counter and all those GF baking flours including GF flour!).
my spouse used a Greek yogurt / dill sauce but I enjoyed my salmon as it was without sauce!
i had intentionally bought a small filet, about 11 Oz, because I knew that I was having susiecakes for dessert. Plus if my poaching failed, I wanted a limit on how much would be wasted.

thank you! The cauliflower ingredients are sea salt and olive oil and the pot of boiling water. Plus 550 oven.

ft has really helped me with cooking and of course saving money by getting that big united refund. Its been very helpful this year
I thought you were doing the Girl and the Goat cauliflower? No--you just roasted it?
Old May 15, 20, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky View Post
I thought you were doing the Girl and the Goat cauliflower? No--you just roasted it?
I want to eventually do girl & goat cauliflower but for now Im happy with the easier roasting :-)
Old May 15, 20, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Speaking of cauliflower, a few days back we changed up the spices we roast it with. Usually, I go with cumin and fennel seeds and salt/pepper. This time, I went with Sichuan peppers and star anise (both freshly ground of course)... Some of the best I've tasted when all was said and done.

Old May 16, 20, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Speaking of cauliflower, a few days back we changed up the spices we roast it with. Usually, I go with cumin and fennel seeds and salt/pepper. This time, I went with Sichuan peppers and star anise (both freshly ground of course)... Some of the best I've tasted when all was said and done.

interesting...I think your first spice blend sounded really good. I think star anise has a way of taking over. But i loved your mix of fennel seeds and cumin.
Old May 16, 20, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I asked my wife to pick up some cauliflower at the store this morning, and like the idea of cumin and fennel seeds. But being from Chicago, I automatically link fennel seeds and sausage (even though I love fennel bulb roasted or in salads), so haven't tried this before. Are you grinding the seeds or using whole? How much do you use per head?

Sorry for asking a bunch of questions here, but in your picture with the new spice mix is that onion or fennel bulb along side the cauliflower?

Always looking for new cauliflower ideas!

Search this Thread