Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
Thank you for turning me on to this cauliflower recipe. I didn't have any pine nuts, i used less mint because I was afraid it would overpower but i could have added more . I used jarred pepperoncini for the pickled peppers. It was delicious !!
That picture looks a lot like the restaurant dish, nice job!

I have substituted toasted, slivered almonds a couple times for pine nuts. Different flavor, but it still works in the dish, and the crunch is nice. Pine nuts are expensive too.
corky likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
That picture looks a lot like the restaurant dish, nice job!

I have substituted toasted, slivered almonds a couple times for pine nuts. Different flavor, but it still works in the dish, and the crunch is nice. Pine nuts are expensive too.
i thought of slivered almonds, which i do have but i was ok with this. And yes...pine nuts are a fortune. Lots of tweaking can be done with this recipe which is fun...maybe even bacon crumbled on top.
I made maple candied walnuts for my salad though.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Do you guys always eat different things from each other? Leftover carnitas--I missed that you made carnitas too. I love quiche--I bet that was yummy.
i reheated the carnitas Via oven and BamaVol guided me about why oven is better than microwave for reheating cooked meat (esp carnitas). I’m the only one who likes carnitas and most or all pork products. We are mostly zero pork household with salami having been the exception.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The carnitas were delivered. By his mom, I think.
my spouse’s bestie brought birthday supper for us - a Nopalito restaurant “reheat” kit and sold at Douglas and surely other bourgeois bodegas (Epicurean Trader types). We have it here because it’s a gift.

Thank you for turning me on to this cauliflower recipe. I didn't have any pine nuts, i used less mint because I was afraid it would overpower but i could have added more . I used jarred pepperoncini for the pickled peppers. It was delicious !!
i have to one day try it - we are very satisfied with the basic style using olive oil and 550. I should try and get more for tonight’s supper.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
i thought of slivered almonds, which i do have but i was ok with this. And yes...pine nuts are a fortune. Lots of tweaking can be done with this recipe which is fun...maybe even bacon crumbled on top.
I made maple candied walnuts for my salad though.
Please do post any tweaks you try. I agree, there are so many different flavors that play well together here that you can probably make some fun modifications.

Having grown up in the midwest in the 70's and 80's, our veggies were typically just boiled to death, maybe with a bit of butter on top. It was a real revelation to me when I started eating dishes like this as an adult, where the vegetables were roasted or sauteed and actually had flavor.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Please do post any tweaks you try. I agree, there are so many different flavors that play well together here that you can probably make some fun modifications.

Having grown up in the midwest in the 70's and 80's, our veggies were typically just boiled to death, maybe with a bit of butter on top. It was a real revelation to me when I started eating dishes like this as an adult, where the vegetables were roasted or sauteed and actually had flavor.
I’m going to try it tonight.

Last edited by Finkface; May 22, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Old May 22, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
I’m going to try it tonight.
fun! I bought a cauliflower today so I too will roast but in the more basic style (only olive oil and sea salt). We also had it last night.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I’m going to chop up the leftover ham and toss it into an omelet tomorrow morning with whatever else is handy.
hope the ham leftovers were great :-)
Old May 22, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I almost always roast cauliflower in the oven....this recipe is more of a pan roast which I liked much better. I used to roast brussels sprouts in the oven but I now do those on top of the stove too (cut in half, cut side down in oiled pan with lid and don't flip...they will get really golden brown and carmelized on the cut side) like this cauliflower. And no need to buy a whole head of cauliflower if you don't want to...the bagged florets would be fine. I am going to do it with some of the pretty colored (purple or gold) cauliflower next.
I am not sure the panko in the crunch butter added anything to this but the garlic and parmesan for sure did so I would keep that. And I would always just do the jarred pickled pepperoncini because I love that anyway. And next time I will be brave and try more mint.
JBord likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to roast Brussels sprouts per Ina Garten’s book and then it was so long of not doing it that I forgot until you mentioned it. I could try it again. As a child I often had it (or cabbage) cooked with sliced bacon. Always yummy...
corky and BamaVol like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by gaobest
I used to roast Brussels sprouts per Ina Garten’s book and then it was so long of not doing it that I forgot until you mentioned it. I could try it again. As a child I often had it (or cabbage) cooked with sliced bacon. Always yummy...
First you cook the bacon until it’s crisp. Then you sauté the shredded Brussels sprouts in the bacon fat. Then add mashed potatoes and cook until they’re crisp around the edge and hot in the center. Comfort food.
corky and JBord like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 4:23 am

A lot, learned how to cook 3 new types of pasta (and gained 4kg, obviously)
Old May 23, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex_Golovkov
A lot, learned how to cook 3 new types of pasta (and gained 4kg, obviously)
which types? Super fun.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pork butt and ribs when they went on the grill to smoke.

3.5 hours later with corm for my Mom and Dad (they only get half corn)

Mom wanted"fall off the bone"ribs but she got a smoke ring instead.
The boneless butt:
corky, BamaVol, exerda and 3 others like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

Honey, cider vinegar, garlic sauce salmon. Normally I just slather seasoning salt on the salmon and bake it. Must say that while this new version was good (on stove), the easier baked is just as good. I use Penzey seasoning salt, Chicago steak seasoning, and smoked paprika normally.
corky and Jaimito Cartero like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

Honey, cider vinegar, garlic sauce salmon. Normally I just slather seasoning salt on the salmon and bake it. Must say that while this new version was good (on stove), the easier baked is just as good. I use Penzey seasoning salt, Chicago steak seasoning, and smoked paprika normally.
Looks delicious. So you pan fried the salmon? Potato looks yummy too.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by csufabel
Pork butt and ribs when they went on the grill to smoke.

3.5 hours later with corm for my Mom and Dad (they only get half corn)

Mom wanted"fall off the bone"ribs but she got a smoke ring instead.
The boneless butt:
That looks heavenly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.