Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

25% default tip !

25% default tip !

Old Dec 9, 19, 9:11 am
  #136  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,145
I hate when the server keeps interrupting the conversation to ask whether everything is OK, etc.

If someone chooses not to finish a meal, the server shouldn't call attention to this fact. It can be very awkward.

My pet peeve is when servers remove plates before everyone has finished the course, or worse, distributes menus for dessert when some haven't finished their main course. Usually I refuse then to order dessert and tell them why.
Silver Fox and Badenoch like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 6:28 pm
  #137  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RSE
Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Posts: 12,500
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

If someone chooses not to finish a meal, the server shouldn't call attention to this fact. It can be very awkward.
I hate this too. If someone wants to tell a waiter they didn't like the food because of x then they will, the waiter need not prompt.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My pet peeve is when servers remove plates before everyone has finished the course, or worse, distributes menus for dessert when some haven't finished their main course. Usually I refuse then to order dessert and tell them why.
This is lack of the most basic training.
bensyd is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:41 pm
  #138  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,677
Originally Posted by corky View Post
What's wrong with that? I think it is good service to inquire if everything is ok or do we want anything else (not 5 times but at least once) and to notice if food is uneaten. If there was a problem with the food they might want to report it to the kitchen or maybe even offer to comp something. I WANT the restaurant to care if I didn't like my food. I also don't get a problem with offering a doggie bag.
If there is a problem with the food/service, I will be SURE to let them know first.
Silver Fox and Badenoch like this.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:25 am
  #139  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
I hate this too. If someone wants to tell a waiter they didn't like the food because of x then they will, the waiter need not prompt.
Yes, I can see your point about this. Sometimes questioning the person and wanting to know if anything was wrong can be awkward.


Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
This is lack of the most basic training.
In my opinion, if one person has completely finished their meal and others are still eating, it's ok to ask if that one person would like the plate removed as it can free up some room at the table. No one else at the table should be asked as they are still eating.
deker0 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:13 pm
  #140  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RSE
Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Posts: 12,500
Originally Posted by deker0 View Post
In my opinion, if one person has completely finished their meal and others are still eating, it's ok to ask if that one person would like the plate removed as it can free up some room at the table. No one else at the table should be asked as they are still eating.
But the reason you don't remove the plate is because it makes the other diners, who haven't finished, feel as though they are being rushed.
bensyd is offline  
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:59 am
  #141  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,916
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I hate when the server keeps interrupting the conversation to ask whether everything is OK, etc.
I agree. It should only be necessary once, within a few minutes after the meals are delivered. It gives diners a chance to ask for anything else they may need. After that, no need to interrupt again until people are finished with their meals.
Silver Fox likes this.
JBord is offline  
Old Dec 11, 19, 1:31 pm
  #142  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,180
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

My pet peeve is when servers remove plates before everyone has finished the course, or worse, distributes menus for dessert when some haven't finished their main course.
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post

This is lack of the most basic training.
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
But the reason you don't remove the plate is because it makes the other diners, who haven't finished, feel as though they are being rushed.
x 1000%

I was dining with about 7 others in a higher end restaurant and my meal came out a little later than the others. The others finished their meals before me and two waiters and the assistant manager came over and cleared off EVERYTHING from the table, including glasses, salt/pepper shakers, etc. The only thing left on the table was my plate and glass. The table, otherwise, was completely bare. I stopped eating and went to speak with the general manager. After telling him the problem, he completely understood and brought us a bottle of Champagne and desserts for everyone. Additionally, I told him to clear my plate because I wasn’t going to be the only person eating in that situation. Also, comped my meal.

That type of service is only acceptable at McDonald’s.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:34 pm
  #143  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RSE
Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Posts: 12,500
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
x 1000%

I was dining with about 7 others in a higher end restaurant and my meal came out a little later than the others. The others finished their meals before me and two waiters and the assistant manager came over and cleared off EVERYTHING from the table, including glasses, salt/pepper shakers, etc. The only thing left on the table was my plate and glass. The table, otherwise, was completely bare. I stopped eating and went to speak with the general manager. After telling him the problem, he completely understood and brought us a bottle of Champagne and desserts for everyone. Additionally, I told him to clear my plate because I wasn’t going to be the only person eating in that situation. Also, comped my meal.

That type of service is only acceptable at McDonald’s.
Geez that's very bad service.

I was at an outback roadhouse (ie the real outback, not the American chain) and as soon as you finished they swooped in to take the plates. While I'd prefer they didn't, in that sort of setting friendly service is all I ask for. Also it was the only place to get food within 300km, so I wasn't going to complain!
Silver Fox and 84fiero like this.
bensyd is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 9:21 pm
  #144  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 20,544
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I hate when the server keeps interrupting the conversation to ask whether everything is OK, etc.

If someone chooses not to finish a meal, the server shouldn't call attention to this fact. It can be very awkward.

My pet peeve is when servers remove plates before everyone has finished the course, or worse, distributes menus for dessert when some haven't finished their main course. Usually I refuse then to order dessert and tell them why.
Keeps interrupting?? How many times are they asking you? I think maybe twice is the most I have had...usually, when the plates are first put down they will look around the table and ask if anyone needs anything. Sometimes a runner brings the food so I appreciate the opportunity to ask for mayo or to say that I thought I was supposed to get xyz with dinner. I also have zero problem with them asking towards the end of the meal if everything was ok.
Not everyone will volunteer a problem with the food. If a waiter sees that you have barely touched your dish, I think they should ask if there was a problem and then you can tell them it was too salty or spicy or whatever.
corky is online now  
Old Dec 18, 19, 10:39 am
  #145  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Posts: 1,306
Originally Posted by Hank Moody View Post
My friction point is the 4% surcharge. Since when does the price of an item not include all components of business overhead? Restaurant owners should "man-up" and adjust retail prices to cover these costs rather than hiding them into the fine print at the bottom of the menu.
The fact that the idea of some kind of "mandated tax" keeps popping up in this thread means that the restaurant owners' disinformation campaign is working. Instead of paying and providing minimal benefits for their employees, and setting prices accordingly, the restaurant can set artificially low prices and bamboozle less-informed Patrons into thinking there's some kind of city or state mandated surcharge.

It's the Fox News effect, if people see disinformation often enough, they start to believe it's real.
Beltway2A is offline  
Old Dec 18, 19, 10:53 am
  #146  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SNA
Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I couldn’t believe it. This is the same restaurant that called me during work hours to confirm a reservation I’d made online.

The service was friendly, but slow and incompetent. One wrong item and one duplicate item was served to my table. The food was nicely presented but tasted like crap. And the prices were exorbitant, but I knew that going in.

Unusual for a restaurant in the US, payment was done by handheld electronic card reader brought to the table. I was asked to sign and select from one of the precomputed tips: 18%, 20%, 25%, with the last option being selected by default. Oh, of course on the receipt a 4% surcharge had already been added for compliance with health insurance laws of California, whatever that means.

25%!

I’m likely to find the restaurant owner’s email address and e-tear him a new one.
The tip should be 0%. California, like many progressive states, has been pushing for and passed a $15 minimum was that will gradually take effect. The minimum wage affects servers, as well. It is long overdue that routine tipping is phased out of the public consciousness in such areas, being that the tip covering the lower wages no longer exists. Therefore tipping should be reserved for extraordinary service.

SB 3: Minimum wage
OUTraveling is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: