25% default tip !

Old Oct 12, 19, 1:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NUQ
Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Posts: 3,890
25% default tip !

I couldn’t believe it. This is the same restaurant that called me during work hours to confirm a reservation I’d made online.

The service was friendly, but slow and incompetent. One wrong item and one duplicate item was served to my table. The food was nicely presented but tasted like crap. And the prices were exorbitant, but I knew that going in.

Unusual for a restaurant in the US, payment was done by handheld electronic card reader brought to the table. I was asked to sign and select from one of the precomputed tips: 18%, 20%, 25%, with the last option being selected by default. Oh, of course on the receipt a 4% surcharge had already been added for compliance with health insurance laws of California, whatever that means.

25%!

I’m likely to find the restaurant owner’s email address and e-tear him a new one.
dgreen12, MRM, florin and 6 others like this.
davie355 is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 1:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North America
Posts: 1,989
cawhite and FLTripper like this.
CodeAdam10 is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 12:42 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,476
25% is a bit much but I am finding that the portable readers are slowly becoming more common. I suspect they never will be as common as in, say, Europe simply because chip and signature makes them a pretty hard sell for a lot of restaurants (not to mention the general reluctance to upgrade anything due to low margins).
tmiw is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 12:48 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 84,937
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I couldn’t believe it. This is the same restaurant that called me during work hours to confirm a reservation I’d made online.

The service was friendly, but slow and incompetent. One wrong item and one duplicate item was served to my table. The food was nicely presented but tasted like crap. And the prices were exorbitant, but I knew that going in.

Unusual for a restaurant in the US, payment was done by handheld electronic card reader brought to the table. I was asked to sign and select from one of the precomputed tips: 18%, 20%, 25%, with the last option being selected by default. Oh, of course on the receipt a 4% surcharge had already been added for compliance with health insurance laws of California, whatever that means.

25%!

I’m likely to find the restaurant owner’s email address and e-tear him a new one.
If these are the only available tip options, pick zero: 18% is more than the standard (in most places) and my guess is that their calculation includes tax and the lovely 4% garbage fee. Slow and incompetent service deserves less than the standard tip IMO unless it's beyond the server's fault and the server is genuinely really trying.

Please name the restaurant and location.
moondog, nerd, enviroian and 17 others like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 3:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,066
They have already added 4%, so an additional 18% would make the tip 22% - way too much even if the service is good. Always the best bet with these sorts of places is to choose zero and make it clear to the Manager why you have chosen zero.
moondog, nerd, MRM and 9 others like this.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 3:54 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,335
That does little for the staff.

If you want to leave a tip of less than 18%, just ask the server presenting the device. There is always a way to adjust it and if you make it clear that the option of less than 18 is zero, you will find the adjustment quickly made.
Often1 is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:01 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,171
We only use handheld devices in Canada. There is always an option for a $ vs a %. Even for those that have preset percentages on the screen, there is always an ‘other amount’ choice. Just touch ‘other amount’ and you can choose whatever amount you want, or just hit enter for $0.
Finkface is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:51 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
We only use handheld devices in Canada. There is always an option for a $ vs a %. Even for those that have preset percentages on the screen, there is always an ‘other amount’ choice. Just touch ‘other amount’ and you can choose whatever amount you want, or just hit enter for $0.
Evidently at least one American is having trouble managing handheld payment devices. Emerging technology can be daunting for our American friends while Canada has had chip and pin cards for over a decade.
Badenoch is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 5:08 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,335
OP seems to be having a bad time of adapting to the reality of developments in the US hospitality industry. Two massive issues in a week.

Restaurants, it's bad manners to call me to reconfirm a reservation.

Bottom line is that it appears that he did not ask for assistance or try locating the "other amount" feature which is present on all of the major software devices for these packages.
Eastbay1K, GB, nerd and 7 others like this.
Often1 is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 6:27 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 40,206
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP seems to be having a bad time of adapting to the reality of developments in the US hospitality industry. Two massive issues in a week.

Restaurants, it's bad manners to call me to reconfirm a reservation.

Bottom line is that it appears that he did not ask for assistance or try locating the "other amount" feature which is present on all of the major software devices for these packages.
This. If you don't like any of the default tip amounts, change it or ask for help changing it.
united1kinva likes this.
kipper is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 6:48 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,476
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Emerging technology can be daunting for our American friends
I'd like to think that the issues people are having are just more visible now because we're transitioning to chip/contactless in the age of social media. Of course, it's also possible my faith in people is misplaced.
tmiw is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 7:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I'd like to think that the issues people are having are just more visible now because we're transitioning to chip/contactless in the age of social media. Of course, it's also possible my faith in people is misplaced.
Yes, social media does provide a platform to complain about technology that much of the developed world mastered a decade ago. It's always a pleasant stroll down memory lane when visiting America and a server hands you a pen to sign your credit card receipt. It's like writing on a manual typewriter or using a rotary phone.
RoyalFlush and snidely like this.
Badenoch is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 7:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,171
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Yes, social media does provide a platform to complain about technology that much of the developed world mastered a decade ago. It's always a pleasant stroll down memory lane when visiting America and a server hands you a pen to sign your credit card receipt. It's like writing on a manual typewriter or using a rotary phone.
This. It feels so weird to me to hand my credit card to a server or store clerk or similar and they disappear somewhere with it. Bizarre.
Finkface is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 7:58 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I couldn’t believe it. This is the same restaurant that called me during work hours to confirm a reservation I’d made online.

The service was friendly, but slow and incompetent. One wrong item and one duplicate item was served to my table. The food was nicely presented but tasted like crap. And the prices were exorbitant, but I knew that going in.

Unusual for a restaurant in the US, payment was done by handheld electronic card reader brought to the table. I was asked to sign and select from one of the precomputed tips: 18%, 20%, 25%, with the last option being selected by default. Oh, of course on the receipt a 4% surcharge had already been added for compliance with health insurance laws of California, whatever that means.

25%!

I’m likely to find the restaurant owner’s email address and e-tear him a new one.
what restaurant is this?
zack14 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 9:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,425
That is ridiculous! Even 18% can be overkill, depending on where the restaurant is located and the quality of service. Some states still pay $2.13/hr minimum wage before tip credit, but others must pay full minimum wage even to tipped staff. Yet we're still expected to tip ever increasing amounts.
https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
Gig103 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread