Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% default tip !

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It should be a law that handheld devices are required. My credit card should never be out of my sight.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It should be a law that handheld devices are required. My credit card should never be out of my sight.
There are certain benefits of those fast casual restaurants where you order at the counter.
I still have zero issues about giving my CC when paying the bill through the server.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gaobest
I still have zero issues about giving my CC when paying the bill through the server.
Barring other factors (e.g. PIN being mandated or a large number of customers demanding to pay with their phones), this is ultimately why it will take much longer than it has elsewhere for pay at the table to become common in the US (if it ever does). We're more likely to have optional pay at the front counter (mainly for mobile payments) than anything else.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by tmiw
Barring other factors (e.g. PIN being mandated or a large number of customers demanding to pay with their phones), this is ultimately why it will take much longer than it has elsewhere for pay at the table to become common in the US (if it ever does). We're more likely to have optional pay at the front counter (mainly for mobile payments) than anything else.
The casual dining chains have embraced the terminal at the table (more for the general labor savings for reordering drinks and the possibility of some extra revenue from games than any payment security considerations).
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hhdl
The casual dining chains have embraced the terminal at the table (more for the general labor savings for reordering drinks and the possibility of some extra revenue from games than any payment security considerations).
Those might be a reason why a lot of Americans aren't huge fans of pay at the table, too. Not many have seen the form that's most commonly used outside the US so "pay at the table" likely brings up experiences with the tablets (which are problematic).

One form that I kinda wish was more common was using devices from companies like TableSafe, which look like a normal billfold but with a display, keypad and card reader. Expense might be preventing that, though.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
Extra revenue from when just touching the tablet to move it triggers the charge for the game (hello Chili's).
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mathprof
Extra revenue from when just touching the tablet to move it triggers the charge for the game (hello Chili's).
I've had that happen at Chili's too!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If that's the case, why don't they just increase their prices by 20%?
is there a place where a mandated service charge isn't subject to sales tax?

for sfo/nyc, gratuities aren't subject to sales tax but (mandated) service charge is
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
It may come as a surprise to our US cousins, but in the rest of the civilised word, when an item is priced on the menu, that is how much you are expected to pay. I find it incredulous that for ANY purchase in the US, the final price has no resemblance to what the price list suggests it is. Supermarkets, restaurants, bars, hotels - all the same. Say one thing - charge another. I know the reasons why. I just think it is stupid to say a drink is $5 when you have to hand over $6 for the drink. Just tell me it's $6.

I mean, why not? Just tell me how much it is going to cost me - including any tax and allowances for paying the staff a living wage. Then I can make an informed decision? It's not like I get better service in the US. If I had US levels of service in the UK, I would not recognise it with a tip. And service in most of Europe outside of Paris is far superior to the service I get in the US so the argument of people working for their tip does not hold.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I start at 20% in states that have a low wage for servers. Then I knock off 2% for every service screw up.
If they are making $15/hour why tip?
I was just in Seattle where some restaurants are adding a few percent to the check. Each had a different story as to why but all said it did not go directly to the server.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:35 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
The US and apparently Canada are not is step with the world. Tipping is not a good system, it doesn't exist in Asia and it's only very minimal in the EU. In these countries being a server is a profession and the workers are paid a market based salary. As someone who spends roughly 50% of his life traveling internationally I find the tipping system repugnant, restaurateurs should pay their people fairly and servers should act professionally, so customers don't need to be math experts or feel guilty about the tipping process.
thijsseh, Silver Fox and weegraeme like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Exec
Coming at this from the UK I have very mixed reactions. Sympathy for the rrestaurant - no-shows are very expensive for a restaurant so I have no problem with them calling me to re-confirm. The alternative is to act like a hotel, take your credit card details and if you don't show you get hit with a charge. In the world of restaurants seems sensible to me. Hand held readers, again the restaurant shold be protecting itself and its customers against fraud, paying by signature is a joke in that regard - there is no security for them or us. Even when the card is stolen. At least the bank can refuse the transaction if it is done online with chip and pin. But tipping - yikes! I don't get it that restaurants cannot or will not ay their staff a proper wage and add it to the cost of food then tell you tipping is not allowed. In Japan they don't traditionally accept tips. Problem is people from tip giving cultures go round the world spreading the nasty habit. No one ever tipped me for doing my job, but I was well paid. If it's unavoidable I go with 10% (though in a restaurant in Boston my friends were shocked that I would do such a thing)
thijsseh and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If these are the only available tip options, pick zero: 18% is more than the standard (in most places) and my guess is that their calculation includes tax and the lovely 4% garbage fee. Slow and incompetent service deserves less than the standard tip IMO unless it's beyond the server's fault and the server is genuinely really trying.

Please name the restaurant and location.
Agree, the precomputed is on the after tax abount so you are really giving 30%. The taste of the food was not the server's fault. But the wrong dishes were. When I get bad service, I either leave 0 or write note "bad service" Otherwise they just think you are a cheap tipper
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

As is the case in the UK and many other places, many companies forbid their staff to even handle the card these days.

Last week in Austin a server took my card away for swiping and didn't return for 8 minutes, and was not visible for most of that time. I will be watching that card very closely. The last card fraud I had was in San Francisco and was believed (but not proven) to be a server cloning the card details whilst out of sight. The transactions from the stolen card details appeared 6 weeks after my trip, and were picked up by the card issuer within 1 day and only $30 spent on low value transactions, and then a declined transaction of $220 so they didn't get away with much.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by paperwastage
is there a place where a mandated service charge isn't subject to sales tax?

for sfo/nyc, gratuities aren't subject to sales tax but (mandated) service charge is
Good point, although if one is concerned about the staff receiving a living wage, then what are they to do, other than increase prices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.