Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
To accompany the strip loin steak last night. Perhaps odd to some but very good. Think it was my last bottle too

(FWIW, 70% cabernet sauvignon, 30% merlot)
Fliar likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond
Il Molino di Grace Chianti Classico Gran Selezione
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:30 am

Programs: some
Penfolds Grange 1984, outstanding (95+)
Chateau d'Yquem 1997, ethereal, 99.
Gevrey-Chambertin Camille Giroud, en Champ, 2006, 90.
United747 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Ridge Monte Bello Chardonnay 2014. Ok if it had cost $20 but it was $97 + tax. Overblown, too oaky and somewhat sour. No finesse.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

Aperitif.

We don't see much in the way of Swiss wine in California. An inexpensive, simple white with nice minerality.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend treated me to a lovely wine tasting event at a small local restaurant.
the Riesling (I am not usually a fan) and the Turnbull cab were my favorites but they were all excellent. And a very generous pour.

work2fly likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
Aperitif.

We don't see much in the way of Swiss wine in California. An inexpensive, simple white with nice minerality.
I've enjoyed Swiss wine in Switzerland but I wouldn't call it inexpensive, being probably double the equivalent French wine. Personally, I've found Fendant inoffensive more than inexpensive. But Dôle is pretty good with some charcuterie, despite its unfortunate name.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by work2fly

I’m impressed. We don’t see any Swiss wine in Louisiana. We have very good friends in Switzerland and will be visiting them in the Valais region next month. The Swiss make some very nice wines and many of them are quite reasonably priced. We usually bring back a few bottles every time we visit our friends. Lately, we’ve been bringing back a Cabernet Sauvignon from Valais that we’ve shared with friends. After tasting it, they declared, “This is delicious!”.

Glad to see that you enjoyed your Fendant.
work2fly likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by corky
the Riesling (I am not usually a fan) and the Turnbull cab were my favorites but they were all excellent. And a very generous pour.
If you get the opportunity, try the Rieslings from the Wachau Valley in Austria. There are many good winemakers there, but I’m mostly familiar with F.X. Pichler, Emmerich Knoll, Nigl and Schloss Gobelsburg. Some of them should be easy to find in the U.S.
corky and United747 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
If you get the opportunity, try the Rieslings from the Wachau Valley in Austria. There are many good winemakers there, but I’m mostly familiar with F.X. Pichler, Emmerich Knoll, Nigl and Schloss Gobelsburg. Some of them should be easy to find in the U.S.
Emmerich Knoll makes a great grüner too
corky and FLYMSY like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Emmerich Knoll makes a great grüner too
Most definitely. I have a variety of Grüners and Rieslings from him and the others listed above, bought from each winery, in my house now. And, since you mentioned Grüners, let me give a shout out to “Mr. Grüner Veltliner”, Bernhard Ott, from the Wagram.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

I don't recall having a Bolgheri before, but this is quite nice and should pair nicely with the grilled steak kabobs and couscous planned for dinner.
corky and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night I had a Ch Brown Lamartine 2010. Officially merely a Bordeaux Superieur, but it tasted much more interesting, with good depth.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond

Enjoyed some Krug over the weekend. Definitely a step up from our usual. Very complex and delicious.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:02 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by corky

$36 for a younger vintage Paraduxx is outrageous. Yes, it's a nice wine, but not that nice!
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.