FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1411923-wine-drinkers-what-you-having-today-tonight.html)

VivoPerLei Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Okay, since the "What are you eating thread" is starting to evolve into a "What are you drinking?" thread, I thought I'd start one for all of us oenophiles on FT.

Tonight, first bottle: Chateau Benitey St. Emilion Grand Cru 2009. My initial impression: meh. I prefer the four euro Minervois I had last night.

uk1 Nov 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Okay, so this thread is specifically for drinking wine without eating? :confused:

VivoPerLei Nov 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Yes, what are you drinking tonight?

uk1 Nov 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Sorry .... I'm drinking with my evening meal as I normally do .... and I guess if it was an unusual wine .... it would go in the other thread .......:confused:

gfunkdave Nov 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I had the remnant of my 2011 Dos Fincas malbec and am following with a 2010 Flaio Primitivo.

Both are under $10. Both are perfectly fine for my needs.

b1513 Nov 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Riesling....just plain ole Ste Michelle.

Bobette

x1achilles Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm

I asked my partner to open a bottle of Kupelwieser Pinot Bianco Alto Adige (Süd-Tirol), Italy.

Eastbay1K Nov 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Water tonight.

slawecki Nov 29, 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by x1achilles (Post 19763397)
I asked my partner to open a bottle of Kupelwieser Pinot Bianco Alto Adige (Süd-Tirol), Italy.

this is a great, undiscovered(pretty much) area. the Gewurztraminer is also great. there are wonderful food wines.

VivoPerLei Nov 29, 2012 9:32 am

Tonight will be a Bandol La Garenne, at least the first bottle.
Cote du Rhone Vidal Fleury, second bottle

scubadiver Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

Thibaut-Janison Blanc de Chardonnay. Yes, a Virginia wine! Finding it on the wine list of not one but two of the top beaneries in N. Va sent me to the wine shop. And yes, it was worth the trip.;)

ErthCrclr Nov 29, 2012 11:22 am

2008 I Balzini White Label Da Sangiovese e Cabernet Sauvignon Dai Colli Della Toscana Centrale
It's an Italian half cab & half sangio blend. Wasn't thrilled.

HIDDY Nov 29, 2012 11:48 am

Very unusual for me to drink white rather than red. A super tasting wine it is too considering the price........a 2009 Bodegas Cava del 23 Beviam Tocai from Mendoza.

^^^ from me.....must get more.

VivoPerLei Nov 30, 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 19766993)
Very unusual for me to drink white rather than red. A super tasting wine it is too considering the price........a 2009 Bodegas Cava del 23 Beviam Tocai from Mendoza.

^^^ from me.....must get more.

After reading this and that entire Malbec thread beginning to end, I'm going to have to seek out some of those Argentine wines mentioned and start giving them a shot. For me, it always seems like the wine you get locally is better than the wine exported from that country to yours. For example, the only US wines I have in my local store are Gallo or Mondavi.

When I'm in Portugal I have amazing wine. Spain and Italy the same. I had very drinkable wine in Jordan this year also. Actually, maybe I have to make one exception - I buy South African wines here in my local store that I think are pretty good. When UA was serving Van Loveren wines in Business Class a few years back I thought they were great. When I was next in Cape Town and told my friend that she just laughed saying it is like the cheapest wine in the country.

uk1 Nov 30, 2012 10:40 am

Originally Posted by lancebanyon (Post 19771664)
After reading this and that entire Malbec thread beginning to end, I'm going to have to seek out some of those Argentine wines mentioned and start giving them a shot. For me, it always seems like the wine you get locally is better than the wine exported from that country to yours. For example, the only US wines I have in my local store are Gallo or Mondavi.

When I'm in Portugal I have amazing wine. Spain and Italy the same. I had very drinkable wine in Jordan this year also. Actually, maybe I have to make one exception - I buy South African wines here in my local store that I think are pretty good. When UA was serving Van Loveren wines in Business Class a few years back I thought they were great. When I was next in Cape Town and told my friend that she just laughed saying it is like the cheapest wine in the country.

Re Spain.

A real surprise to me was discovering some of the extraordinary Finos when tapas foraging in Madrid. I hadn't realised how varied they are ..... I know perhaps not strictly classified as wine .... but to me neither a sherry either and the Spanish seem to drink them as a wine bar type drink. I've also noticed now that so much Champagne output is targeted at low price, premium Cava really seems to fill an easy drinking slot vacated. Your Champagne budget spent with a Cava produces quite a bottle.

Since then several bottles of Fino and Cava are kept in the coldest but of the fridge.