Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Tonight was a memory wine. Cheap but lovely. Visited the winery in January 2017 with a group of friends. A good memory for National Wine Drinking Day, especially as I’ve been stuck at home in the snow since Sunday.

Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:13 pm

Paco & Lola Albariño and M Runkel Spatburgunder. Both excellent.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Paco & Lola Albariño and M Runkel Spatburgunder. Both excellent.
Snap (well, half snap). Also had a bottle of Paco & Lola this weekend, very enjoyable. Today, Lagunilla Optimus Rioja 2014. Velvety smooth.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Don't remember which one; it was about $20 at my local wine store.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Don't remember which one; it was about $20 at my local wine store.
Which one? It was the Italian one, silly
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday was "support your local vintner" evening. Which one?

We started with a Dashe Rosé of Barbera, which was delightful, followed by a Dashe Lily Hill Zin. Just scrumptious.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We started to make cheese fondue on Saturday nights and the recipe calls for some white wine, which I mostly evaporate into the fondue pot. We have a lot of useless white wine bottles that we’ve never opened or used, so I started to use these because I doubt they are worth drinking. The last 2-3 weeks, I’ve used this J Cuvée. I think it’s time to toss the remnants and tonight I’ll open up this lovely thing from New Mexico and then store it in the fridge and reuse next week.

Would it be better to just toss all these useless whites and get Charles Shaw at Trader Joe’s?

Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
We started to make cheese fondue on Saturday nights and the recipe calls for some white wine, which I mostly evaporate into the fondue pot. We have a lot of useless white wine bottles that we’ve never opened or used, so I started to use these because I doubt they are worth drinking. The last 2-3 weeks, I’ve used this J Cuvée. I think it’s time to toss the remnants and tonight I’ll open up this lovely thing from New Mexico and then store it in the fridge and reuse next week.

Would it be better to just toss all these useless whites and get Charles Shaw at Trader Joe’s?

Garbage in, garbage out. The problem with the $2 Chuck is you don't know what you're getting until you open it. Could be Drano, could be a palatable wine that might retail for $10 to $15. Spring for a $3.99 or $4.99. Hell, maybe even $7.99, although that might put a dent in your King Crab budget
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Garbage in, garbage out. The problem with the $2 Chuck is you don't know what you're getting until you open it. Could be Drano, could be a palatable wine that might retail for $10 to $15. Spring for a $3.99 or $4.99. Hell, maybe even $7.99, although that might put a dent in your King Crab budget
We are only using the wine for cheese fondue. 1 cup for 24 ounces of cheese.
I need to Google non-alcohol fondue recipe. I am not using this wine otherwise and I need the guidance of flyertalk. Help me FlyerTalk, you’re my only useful hope :-)
We have 20-40 bottles of wine. Surely all non drinkable but I hope ok for cooking.
so last night’s New Mexico winery bottle was sparkling - I unscrewed the cork and it popped out of my hand and flew in the air. If it had hit my eye, I wonder if it would have hurt badly for me. I found it hours later on the other side of the sink.

just found a recipe using chicken broth instead of wine. Hmm.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
If the wine's not drinkable, I wouldn't use it for cooking. Full stop.
Eastbay1K, gfunkdave and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
If the wine's not drinkable, I wouldn't use it for cooking. Full stop.
thanks - I need to read stuff like this. Does this also mean to not use it for cooking onions? I guess it does.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
There are some cheap but very good whites (Kirkland) at Costco. The $6.99 Sauvignon Blanc is bordering on excellent for the price. The $4.99 Pinot Grigio would be just fine for cooking as it is certainly fine for drinking.

And 24oz of cheese? As in a pound and a half of cheese?? Yikes! That is well over half a pound of cheese per person, assuming your son eats less than the two adults.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Hearty cheese fondue is fine after a hard day's skiing, but I can't imagine eating it in such quantities without its essential precursor! As to using sparkling wine instead of still wine with it, I think it would be sensible to try to ensure the bubbles are gone, which might be tricky with a methode traditionelle - at least before the remaining wine goes off. I'm just not sure how the bubbles would interact with the cheese and other ingredients.

I know this is a wine thread, but the one vital alcoholic ingredient for cheese fondue is Kirsch.
corky and FLYMSY like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:36 pm

Don’t sell Gruet sparkling wine short. It’s actually a fairly decent domestic (U.S.) sparkling wine.

A little background:

https://www.gruetwinery.com/heritage
Old Mar 27, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Concord grape for Pessach

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I know this is a wine thread, but the one vital alcoholic ingredient for cheese fondue is Kirsch.
Do you think I can get it at Trader Joe’s?

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Don’t sell Gruet sparkling wine short. It’s actually a fairly decent domestic (U.S.) sparkling wine.
A little background:
https://www.gruetwinery.com/heritage
Aww thanks. I used it yesterday for cooking fish tacos. It’s SO HARD for me to just dump it even if it’s old and past expiration. I can’t taste anything with wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.