Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:06 pm

Somewhat eclectic online tasting with 6 wines, writing this before my memories fade into the ether.

2 whites, 4 reds.
Cullerot, Celler del Roure, 2019 - Valencia, a white blend of verdil, pedro ximénez (!),macabeo, malvasía, tortosí and others. A very pleasant light white, zingy orange peel flavour.

Verus Pinot Gris 2018 - a Slovenian white, not quite Burgundian but a full bodied Pinot Gris with lots of character (if that’s not an oxymoron). One for a pasta or a chicken dish.

Paparuda Pinot Noir 2019 - Romanian Pinot. At the low price point, it’s fine. Inoffensive and probably a lot better than Chilean Pinot at the same price and a world below New Zealand or Australian, never mind US or burgundy. I’d probably pay more for a bottle from somewhere better, but if someone served it, I wouldn’t refuse it. First ever Romanian wine for me.

Johannehohe Blaufrankisch, Weingut Prieler 2017 - Austrian red and the surprise of the tasting for me. Really excellent, a nice level of spice and tannins, but fell short of overbearing. I’m not familiar with blaufrankisch but I’ll definitely look for more. We’re over 35 years since the Austrian ethanol scandal, but it’s probably still paying the price in terms of international appeal. Combined with a wealthy domestic market they don’t really need to export, but any Austrian wine I try is generally uniformly good.

Hochar Musar 2016 - The “second” wine of the famous Chateau Musar (technically not a second wine in the Bordeaux sense, as its single vineyard rather than underperforming plots). Really good, well rounded and other than an odd nose, could be mistaken for a good Bordeaux.

Muga Rioja Reserva 2016 - typical big Rioja, wonderful with red meat. We’re big Muga fans, visited the bodega in Haro a few years ago and have a few bottles of Prado Enea laid down. A solid choice that no red wine drinker would be disappointed with.

Time for a lie down.....!
Fliar likes this.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Feb 5, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
How was it with Indian food? I normally think of Gewurtztraminer when eating Thai, and lean towards Riesling (and sometimes Loire Sauvignon Blanc) with Indian. Though I guess it also depends on the style and heat of the Indian food involved, and I haven't had this .
Thats interesting, I’ve not got to that level of detail between different spicy foods, we’ll rarely have a Riesling or Gewürztraminer, we’ll pick whatever is there, but the Loire Sauvignon would be the default choice as that’s a favourite of my wife.

I’ll admit my general preference with Indian is usually a cold lager.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Tonight will be a Williams Selyem 2016 Fanucchi-Wood Road Vineyard Zinfandel.

Served with lozonya
Fliar likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:16 pm

Just a cabernet :-)
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tonight it’s a 2010 St Julien - an off-label wine from St Julien’s most famous second growth” according to the back label. Superb.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Yesterday: Pegasus Bay Bel Canto Dry Riesling 2017 (NZ). Orange zest, petrol, lime, rich yet dry with plenty of acidity. With some Dim Sum and a vegetable stir-fry, a slightly early nod to the upcoming Chinese New Year.

Today: Tired of lockdown, wanted something that reminded me of travelling (not that I’ve been completely grounded, but still...), and as it is Super Bowl Sunday, decided it should be from the US. Opened a bottle I bought in LA, Lamborn Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 2014. Still maybe a bit young, but offset nicely with a rare sirloin steak. Just love Napa Cab.
Fliar and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 3:06 pm

Mendel Finca Remota Malbec 2010. Our last bottle from a 2014 trip to Mendoza. A really smooth Malbec, softened by age, yet with great depth, paired well with surf (Langoustine and crab claws) and turf (fillet steak).

Last night was a lovely Craggy Range Sauvignon bland with salmon, leek and pea risotto. Really zingy, melon and passion fruit notes. Followed by a few glasses of La Orphica Monastrell 2019 from Spain (Mourvèdre or mataro in the rest of the world). Very smooth and easy drinking.
Fliar likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: some
Mont Redon 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape. I'm not a huge fan of Mont Redon (I prefer their whites) but it was pretty good.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday started with 5 or so Lioco varietals at the tasting room (along with the Club pickup). This, followed by 7 or so pleasant tastes at the Soda Rock tasting room. (The Alley 6 sprits tasting doesn't count for this thread because, well ... Not wine. But really tasty and well-crafted büz.). Take out food dinner in hotel accompanied by Lioco Carignan.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Valentines Night was langoustines, paired with my last bottle of Etienne Sauzet Bourgogne Ordinaire 2015. Perfect age and the quality of lesser growers' village wines. I have a couple of cases of his 2019 on order!
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night's pour was a 2021 EMBUD Filtered Clarity. [Seemed like a good idea after a Dry Creek Valley weekend.]
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Last night's pour was a 2021 EMBUD Filtered Clarity. [Seemed like a good idea after a Dry Creek Valley weekend.]
The champagne of waters.

A favorite among plumbers, gardeners, and water lovers in general!
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night, amongst many others, was my penultimate bottle of Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains 2006. Absolutely stunning wine - and I say that as someone who is not at all keen on most California wine, but Ridge is something different.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Last night, amongst many others, was my penultimate bottle of Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains 2006. Absolutely stunning wine - and I say that as someone who is not at all keen on most California wine, but Ridge is something different.
[Somewhat OT, but have you tried some of the various Dashe zins and blends? Mike Dashe was a winemaker at Ridge 20-some years ago prior to opening his own shop, and some Dashe wines are just fantastic. Dashe also has a Les Enfants Terribles line, very light handed minimal intervention, Euro-sensibility.]
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:41 pm

Another Zoom tasting, this time with Chester Osborn, proprietor of the pretty well known D'Arenberg wines from McLaren Vale in South Australia. A comprehensive tasting of 7 wines (out of the 76 [!] in the D'Arenberg stable). Two whites and five reds:
Hermit Crab Viognier Marsanne 2018
Lucky lizard Chardonnay 2017
Stump jump Red 2016
D’Arry’s Original Shiraz Grenache 2016
Laughing Magpie Shiraz Viognier 2016
Coppermine Road Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Dead Arm Shiraz 2017

The Hermit Crab was for me the pick of the two whites, and the Laughing Magpie and the Coppermine Road were both excellent. The Dead Arm Shiraz won wine of the year in a London tasting last year, I liked it, but maybe it was just too late to properly savour it.

All in all, a really solid tasting, and Chester is a complete character. Full of energy at 7am local time in Adelaide.
Oaxaca likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.