Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
We are only using the wine for cheese fondue. 1 cup for 24 ounces of cheese.
I need to Google non-alcohol fondue recipe. I am not using this wine otherwise and I need the guidance of flyertalk. Help me FlyerTalk, you’re my only useful hope :-)
We have 20-40 bottles of wine. Surely all non drinkable but I hope ok for cooking.
so last night’s New Mexico winery bottle was sparkling - I unscrewed the cork and it popped out of my hand and flew in the air. If it had hit my eye, I wonder if it would have hurt badly for me. I found it hours later on the other side of the sink.

just found a recipe using chicken broth instead of wine. Hmm.
Haven't we had this conversation several times already?
gfunkdave and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by corky
Haven't we had this conversation several times already?
there’s no way I’m using chicken broth as a wine substitute for fondue. No way :-)

having read the kirsch suggestion, I am definitely remembering it from the nyt fondue recipe.

could I only use kirsch for fondue or does the fondue need both white wine and kirsch?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Don’t sell Gruet sparkling wine short. It’s actually a fairly decent domestic (U.S.) sparkling wine.

A little background:

https://www.gruetwinery.com/heritage
Yes, I would have drank the Gruet
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Yes, I would have drank the Gruet
how long can it last in my fridge?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
how long can it last in my fridge?
Wine lasts a few days in the fridge once opened.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Wine lasts a few days in the fridge once opened.
That is if someone is drinking it. He is just using it to cook. He likes cooking wine and Mogen David so I don't think the drinkability is the issue.
I say to just take a little taste before you use it. I am sure wine won't go "bad" in about 5 or 6 days if it isn't going to be used for drinking.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
That is if someone is drinking it. He is just using it to cook. He likes cooking wine and Mogen David so I don't think the drinkability is the issue.
I say to just take a little taste before you use it. I am sure wine won't go "bad" in about 5 or 6 days if it isn't going to be used for drinking.
There needs to be a "laugh" reaction to posts. Though to be fair I think the one and only time I had Mogen David (at my bar mitzvah) I remember liking it.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
There needs to be a "laugh" reaction to posts. Though to be fair I think the one and only time I had Mogen David (at my bar mitzvah) I remember liking it.
Let's be honest....you were 13 and getting to drink wine---hardly in a position to be making serious tasting notes.
Thinking back to all of the crap (wine & booze) that got me through college would make anyone shudder. So we all get a pass for what we liked in our younger days. I remember having Mogen David as a teen I think---I am sure it got 2 thumbs up from me too!
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:15 am

Last night , with pot roast - an absolutely wonderful wine from the Barossa Valley. 2016 Langmeil “Valley Floor” Shiraz. Great balance with the dark red fruit and the tannins. Unfortunately, only brought one of these back from our visit to the winery (among others). If you can find it in your locale, I’d highly recommend that you give it a try.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Last night , with pot roast - an absolutely wonderful wine from the Barossa Valley. 2016 Langmeil “Valley Floor” Shiraz. Great balance with the dark red fruit and the tannins. Unfortunately, only brought one of these back from our visit to the winery (among others). If you can find it in your locale, I’d highly recommend that you give it a try.
interesting! We have a bottle of the 2010 Orphan’s Bank Shiraz still cellared after a trip to the vineyard on our honeymoon. Given the vines are over 150 years old I hope it will be fine for another few years. The only other remaining bottles from that trip are a Two Hands Shiraz and a couple of bottles of Penfolds St. Henri. Embarrassingly Penfolds was our last tasting of a long day and we bent their arm to get a generous pour of Grange, but I’m afraid it was wasted on us that point, what with us being, well, wasted...
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
interesting! We have a bottle of the 2010 Orphan’s Bank Shiraz still cellared after a trip to the vineyard on our honeymoon. Given the vines are over 150 years old I hope it will be fine for another few years.
Really interesting. Brought back a 2009 and 2016 Orphan Bank. We were allowed to taste the 2009 O.B., which was not supposed to be available for purchase but I was able to “convince” them to allow me to purchase one bottle. Also, purchased a bottle of 2016 “The Freedom 1843”. This was in 2019.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:32 pm

2011 Chamonix Troika from Franschhoek. A very smooth cab franc (with a little cab sauv and petit Verdot).

2018 Chablis Premier Cru, Domaine Long Depaquit ‘Les Beugnons”.

Both very nice, the South African has lasted through a few house moves and whilst towards the end of its drinking window, was still in very good shape, very smooth and supple. As for the Chablis, as expected, you can’t really go wrong with a decent name from there.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some kind of rose from my friend's wine purse. https://porto-vino.com/pages/portovi...ic-wine-purses
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

This is delicious.
corky and Kgmm77 like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carlos Serres reserva rioja. I do love me some rioja.
work2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.