Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks. I will look for these. Not sure if I will find them locally but I will give it a try.
One tends to find wine from the best small producers of Champagne in Champagne. Usually for around €6 or €7 per bottle.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
One tends to find wine from the best small producers of Champagne in Champagne. Usually for around €6 or €7 per bottle.
That's *really* helpful. LOL. I will be in France later this year, but not Champagne. I'll try to find something.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's *really* helpful. LOL. I will be in France later this year, but not Champagne. I'll try to find something.
In neighboring regions such as Alsace and Burgundy you can also find a hundred+ unique Champagne choices and even in Paris. And also in other EU countries where there isn't an extra tax you can buy good Champagne at a decent price. But when it gets put on a boat and sent to the US the price goes up a lot. And in many cases where they don't take the best care in shipping the quality goes down.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
The truth of the matter is that there are countless excellent Champagnes in the same price range as the undrinkable mass marketed swill that is Veuve yellow label. Most of them are small producers.

Here are a few off the top of my head in the $35-$50 range:

Aubry Brut
Chartogne-Taillet Cuvée Ste. Anne
Vilmart Cuvée Reservée
Pierre Peters Blanc des Blancs
Agrapart Terroirs
H. Billiot Brut
Marie Noelle-Ledru
Marc Hebrart Cuvée de Reserve
Bereche Brut Reserve
Nice list. I'd like to add Egly Ouriet to it.

I don't believe that you'll find any Grand Cru RMs, which would be the best, at that price point.

In neighboring regions such as Alsace and Burgundy you can also find a hundred+ unique Champagne choices and even in Paris. And also in other EU countries where there isn't an extra tax you can buy good Champagne at a decent price. But when it gets put on a boat and sent to the US the price goes up a lot. And in many cases where they don't take the best care in shipping the quality goes down.
Alsace doesn't produce Champagne. It's sparkling wine is Crémant d'Alsace. Also, not my experience that the US prices are significantly higher for either the Grand Cru NM or RM Champagnes. At least, not at the wine shop that I frequent.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Nice list. I'd like to add Egly Ouriet to it.

I'm a huge fan of Egly Ouriet but my recent experience is that it is at a different price point from the others I listed. Lallemant is another producer that I didn't list but I probably should have.....
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe that you'll find any Grand Cru RMs, which would be the best, at that price point.
Not Grand Cru's, but still very decent Champagnes by independent producers can be found at that price point. And you can even find well aged millésimes at around €15-€20 euros or so depending on how you buy it. I have a lot of millésime 2000 that I bought at a good price a couple of years ago.

Alsace doesn't produce Champagne. It's sparkling wine is Crémant d'Alsace. Also, not my experience that the US prices are significantly higher for either the Grand Cru NM or RM Champagnes. At least, not at the wine shop that I frequent.
Yes I know Alsace doesn't produce Champagne. My point was that you can purchase good low cost independent Champagne while in Alsace or Burgundy. And if you scroll through this thread I've identified some excellent producers of crémant de Bourgogne and Alsace which costs less than €10 per bottle.

And yes you can get MUCH better pricing in France of Champagnes at all levels, though yes it is harder to find the big names like Krug or Taittinger. at a good price. You have to really know someone for those. But again, you can find really, really good quality at a low price in France especially if you visit an independent producer. Speaking French helps.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:10 am

Lucky for me I will be on a river cruise that allows us to bring on alcohol. Maybe I'll get lucky and will find something. I will be in Nice for a few days, and will try to find a wine and/or liquor store.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:29 am

Not Grand Cru's, but still very decent Champagnes by independent producers can be found at that price point. And you can even find well aged millésimes at around €15-€20 euros or so depending on how you buy it. I have a lot of millésime 2000 that I bought at a good price a couple of years ago.

Yes I know Alsace doesn't produce Champagne. My point was that you can purchase good low cost independent Champagne while in Alsace or Burgundy. And if you scroll through this thread I've identified some excellent producers of crémant de Bourgogne and Alsace which costs less than €10 per bottle.

And yes you can get MUCH better pricing in France of Champagnes at all levels, though yes it is harder to find the big names like Krug or Taittinger. at a good price. You have to really know someone for those. But again, you can find really, really good quality at a low price in France especially if you visit an independent producer. Speaking French helps.
Thanks for the tip about your Crémant suggestions. Would you mind posting some of your €6-7 Champagne suggestions? Also, your €15-20 Millésimes suggestions? Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip about your Crémant suggestions. Would you mind posting some of your €6-7 Champagne suggestions? Also, your €15-20 Millésimes suggestions? Thanks.
They are all in this thread somewhere. You have only 894 posts to read! Or maybe do a search for my username in this thread.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
The truth of the matter is that there are countless excellent Champagnes in the same price range as the undrinkable mass marketed swill that is Veuve yellow label.
Veuve is overpriced in the US market, but calling it "undrinkable swill" is pretty extreme hyperbole. It's plenty tasty, though I'd not pay the price.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Veuve is overpriced in the US market, but calling it "undrinkable swill" is pretty extreme hyperbole. It's plenty tasty, though I'd not pay the price.
I prefer Veuve to more expensive champagne (Dom). After this thread, I feel ashamed to admit that I like it.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer Veuve to more expensive champagne (Dom). After this thread, I feel ashamed to admit that I like it.
Meh. The best wine for you is the wine you like best. Anyone who claims otherwise is nuts. ^
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:10 pm

Meh. The best wine for you is the wine you like best. Anyone who claims otherwise is nuts. ^
My other favorite (besides Veuve) is an $8 Costco Prosecco. I can afford Dom, I just never buy it.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:29 pm

They are all in this thread somewhere. You have only 894 posts to read! Or maybe do a search for my username in this thread.
I saw one of your Crémant suggestions, but didn't see any specific €6-7 Champagne or €15-20 Millésimes suggestions.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:32 pm

We drink a lot of Champagne in our house. In a typical week, we open 2-3 bottles. Typically they are entry level Champagnes, usually less than $40/bottle. Occasionally we drink more expensive stuff. The last three times I've been served Veuve yellow label (two of those times, it was served blind, so there was no label bias involved) I have literally poured it down the drain because I found it undrinkable. No hyperbole involved.

And, for the record, I quite like aged Dom, but there are many less expensive Champagnes with much less famous labels that I enjoy at least as much, especially when consumed within a few years after release.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.