Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You honestly would take Mumm Napa or Roederer Estate (I haven't had Gruet) over Veuve yellow label?
In our blind champagne/sparking wine tasting, a lot of people rated other (less expensive) options as superior to Veuve. Personally, I won't buy the stuff....
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by 747FC
In our blind champagne/sparking wine tasting, a lot of people rated other (less expensive) options as superior to Veuve. Personally, I won't buy the stuff....
Well, some people choose Pepsi over Coke in blind tastings. Personally, I won't buy the stuff (Pepsi).

I was only talking about Veuve because someone brought it up and I had found some that was ridiculously cheap (though I do like it). Personally, for the same price, I'll take Laurent-Perrier every time.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:32 pm

What other wines in that price range or above did you try? I have the same reaction to Dom. I just bought a $10 bottle of Korbel today because I didn't think my partner would drink enough to justify buying the $50 Veuve (price in NC).

I'll be visiting the Miami Centurion lounge soon. I'm disappointed they only serve Prosecco.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
What other wines in that price range or above did you try? I have the same reaction to Dom. I just bought a $10 bottle of Korbel today because I didn't think my partner would drink enough to justify buying the $50 Veuve (price in NC).

I'll be visiting the Miami Centurion lounge soon. I'm disappointed they only serve Prosecco.
Been a while since we did the blind tasting, so can't recall all of the "participants." Do recall: Piper Heidsieck Brut, Dom, Veuve Yellow, Moet and Chandon Brut Imperial. Had about six others. Piper clear winner.

We sometimes buy Ayala or Mountandon, which we switch to occasionally from Piper.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:36 pm

Been a while since we did the blind tasting, so can't recall all of the "participants." Do recall: Piper Heidsieck Brut, Dom, Veuve Yellow, Moet and Chandon Brut Imperial. Had about six others. Piper clear winner.

We sometimes buy Ayala or Mountandon, which we switch to occasionally from Piper.
Have tried Mountandon. Drank a whole bottle once. Ok but not my fav. As we all know, alcohol is so specific to the individual. Very fun to try different things, that's for sure.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:06 pm

Drank a whole bottle once. Ok but not my fav.
Want to know how many bottles you drink if the beverage is your fav...

My fav is something that I can't find here: Moet Chandon Grand Cru. Had it at their tasting cellar in France, but cannot find it anywhere else I've looked.

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 29, 2015 at 6:09 pm Reason: add info
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:40 pm

My fav is something that I can't find here: Moet Chandon Grand Cru. Had it at their tasting cellar in France, but cannot find it anywhere else I've looked.
One bottle in about 1-2 hours is my limit. But, if I were on a long flight and they were serving something good I would drink until I passed out (just kidding).
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:53 pm

I like Piper. We got two bottles of the Cuvee-Sublime for Christmas. We're going to a New Years party and I was instructed NOT to take one of those bottles. And it's pretty reasonably priced around here - usually about $32.

Moet Grand Cru is excellent too - also had it in the cellars in Epernay. We paid extra to get more tastes - maybe 6? We also did a tour with some smaller places and brought several bottles back - all gone now.

We have a Champagne party every spring and collect all year long so it doesn't seem like it's that expensive.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
We also did a tour with some smaller places and brought several bottles back - all gone now.
Do you mean you brought back a few bottles in your checked bags? What's the secret to getting them back in one piece?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:44 pm

Do you mean you brought back a few bottles in your checked bags? What's the secret to getting them back in one piece?
We brought back two each - in plastic bags, then wrapped in clothes with nothing hard around them.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wine Mummy is the best solution we've found.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You can also buy in duty free and bring with you in the pressurized cabin. Lots of good Champagne for sale airside at CDG. LHR too.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
You can also buy in duty free and bring with you in the pressurized cabin. Lots of good Champagne for sale airside at CDG. LHR too.
I was talking about buying Champagne from smaller houses in France to bring home. You're not going to find that at CDG or LHR. Further, in my experience, the stuff that is airside at those airports is cheaper at a liquor store in the U.S.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:12 am

IMO:

Gruet is a very nice U.S. sparkling wine producer.

Cristal is overrated.

We did a tour of the Champagne region last year, only going to producers of "Grower" champagnes. One of our favorites is Egly-Ouriet. In total, we bought 3 cases from various producers and brought them back with us as checked luggage.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I thought that only works on international flights. When you make a domestic connection, doesn't that have to go into checked bags, anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.