Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have had decent wine from North Carolina and Pennsylvania. I think my standards are reasonably high. How bad can New Mexico be?
Have you had a domestic sparkling wine that comes anywhere close to Veuve? (Regardless, we're off topic. This is a Champagne thread. )
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Have you had a domestic sparkling wine that comes anywhere close to Veuve? (Regardless, we're off topic. This is a Champagne thread. )
No I have not. I think I get your point. Better to spend more and get something better.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:21 pm

I need help selecting a champagne for NYE that has the least amount of sugar as BF and I have diabetes. Mine is under great control and he was just diagnosed ��. What should I be looking for?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I need help selecting a champagne for NYE that has the least amount of sugar as BF and I have diabetes. Mine is under great control and he was just diagnosed ��. What should I be looking for?
If you can find something that says "extra brut," that is going to be the driest and contain the least amount of sugar. It might also say "brut nature." The next level up in sweetness would be "brut." A reasonably priced one is Pol Roger Extra Brut.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Dec 28, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:55 pm

If you can find something that says "extra brut," that is going to be the driest and contain the least amount of sugar. It might also say "brut nature." The next level up in sweetness would be "brut." A reasonably priced one is Pol Roger Extra Brut.
Thanks. Will look for the champagne you mentioned.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yeah but it still has sugar. Check with your doctor, but I don't think someone with diabetes should be drinking any type of wine as they all contain a fair amount of sugar. Enjoy a bottle of Perrier!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yeah but it still has sugar. Check with your doctor, but I don't think someone with diabetes should be drinking any type of wine as they all contain a fair amount of sugar. Enjoy a bottle of Perrier!
I don't know whether this chart is accurate for real Champagne, as opposed CA "champagne," but if it is, extra-brut would seem to have significantly less sugar.

http://www.californiachampagnes.com/brut/
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:13 am

Probably not a good idea to rely on medical advice from the internet. What does your doctor say?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
My local Total Wine has a New Mexico sparkling wine. Will it be drinkable? I've never heard of wine from there. I am more than willing to try something different.
The Gruet folks, who have a long family history in Champagne, looked long and hard for climate and geology that they believed would result in optimal US sparking wine; they selected New Mexico after that search. Gruet Brut, Brut Sauvage, and Blanc de Noir are all superb. I haven't tried any other labels from New Mexico, though, and was unaware any other wineries had located there.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, unless you're willing to purchase the upper-level Champagnes, I think the best US sparkling wine producers offer a better quaff. Especially Gruet.

Granted, the limited bottlings from Krug, Ruinart, Moet and Veuve are about as good as it gets, and small producers in Champagne that don't get exported to the States can also be excellent. But the mass-market stuff from the big Champagne houses is not usually up to the standards of Mumm Napa, Gruet, or Roederer Estate IMO. And they cost twice as much.

Each to his own, of course.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Personally, unless you're willing to purchase the upper-level Champagnes, I think the best US sparkling wine producers offer a better quaff. Especially Gruet.

Granted, the limited bottlings from Krug, Ruinart, Moet and Veuve are about as good as it gets, and small producers in Champagne that don't get exported to the States can also be excellent. But the mass-market stuff from the big Champagne houses is not usually up to the standards of Mumm Napa, Gruet, or Roederer Estate IMO. And they cost twice as much.

Each to his own, of course.
I do agree they cost twice as much (or more), but they're twice as good IMHO. I can drink Chandon - after I've had a bottle of something decent to numb my palate. And some Scharfenbergers aren't half bad but, otherwise, I couldn't disagree more. You honestly would take Mumm Napa or Roederer Estate (I haven't had Gruet) over Veuve yellow label?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I like Veuve.

I like this better:

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1224520

I've yet to find anything that compares, at least for my palate, at an under $50 price point.

That said, you buy what you like.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
The Gruet folks, who have a long family history in Champagne, looked long and hard for climate and geology that they believed would result in optimal US sparking wine; they selected New Mexico after that search. Gruet Brut, Brut Sauvage, and Blanc de Noir are all superb. I haven't tried any other labels from New Mexico, though, and was unaware any other wineries had located there.
The New Mexico wine I found at my local store is from Jacqueline Leonne, a Rose and a Brut. I've never heard of them before. Gruet is just a few dollars more.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
I like Veuve.

I like this better:

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1224520

I've yet to find anything that compares, at least for my palate, at an under $50 price point.

That said, you buy what you like.
I'll have to give that a try.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do agree they cost twice as much (or more), but they're twice as good IMHO. I can drink Chandon - after I've had a bottle of something decent to numb my palate. And some Scharfenbergers aren't half bad but, otherwise, I couldn't disagree more. You honestly would take Mumm Napa or Roederer Estate (I haven't had Gruet) over Veuve yellow label?
Yes; I appreciate their fruitiness, a characteristic shared by many individual producers in Champagne. But as I said, this is all a matter of taste.

If your view of US sparkling wine has been shaped by Chandon and Scharffenberger, I'm not surprised by your chauvinism. Two of the more overappreciated labels IMO. Try some Gruet Brut Sauvage sometime and get back to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.