Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
I bought 2003 Moet-Chandon Rose for 55 dollars. Good buy?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CMK10
I needed a bottle for my friends and I for New Year's last night and the best I could find at Harris Teeter was Chandon Brut Classic. It was okay enough, especially for $19.99. Oh and I didn't have an ice bucket and this was the best I could do at the Hampton Inn I was staying at:

I've done that before. The ice in the sink I mean. Not the Chandon.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've done that before. The ice in the sink I mean. Not the Chandon.
I've poured Chandon in the sink!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by greycap7
I bought 2003 Moet-Chandon Rose for 55 dollars. Good buy?
If you like it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Interesting. I see it's French too. I wonder who bottles it for them. It gets very high ratings on the Costco website (for whatever that's worth). A couple people say it's better than Veuve.
Is quoting posts from five years ago a thing? If so, I'd like to add that I organized a blind tasting of these two with the assembled family members on New Years and the verdict was nearly unanimous in favor of the one on the right.

The Kirkland doesn't have the same "finesse", and it's hard to say how the product has changed in the last several years, but they're done in the same style and I'd buy it every time for less than half the price.

(Standard disclaimers apply about blind tasting, et cetera…)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:05 pm

I know some people insist that cava and prosecco are just as good as champagne, but with a few exceptions, you can't convince me. That said, the next thing I will try is Gruet. I'll also try a few other recommended bottles from this thread if I can find them.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:51 pm

I had occasion to try La Caravelle Blanc de Blanc and Gruet Demi-Sec, in that order, over the weekend. I should have had them in reverse order, because in comparison the Gruet was pretty mediocre. I found it sweet (granted, it was demi-sec) and tinny. I still have not tried the vaunted (see above) Gruet Brut Sauvage, however. After that experience, I would certainly try it, but wouldn't buy it.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 8, 2016 at 12:00 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had occasion to try La Caravelle Blanc de Blanc and Gruet Demi-Sec, in that order, over the weekend. I should have had them in reverse order, because in comparison the Gruet was pretty mediocre. I found it sweet (granted, it was demi-sec) and tinny. I still have not tried the vaunted (see above) Gruet Brut Sauvage, however. After that experience, I would certainly try it, but wouldn't buy it.
I'm wondering why you'd even put demi-sec into your mouth, other than (I assume) it was free.

Last edited by MaxBuck; Jan 10, 2016 at 6:49 am
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:32 am

Walked into a small supermarket in Akumal, Mexico. I was very surprised to see a bottle of Kirkland Asolo Prosecco on the shelf. The price was not too bad. I had no idea that there was a Costco down here.

I cannot find a Costco by Google search. So I wonder where they got that product.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'm wondering why you'd even put demi-sec into your mouth, other than (I assume) it was free.
I can only assume you think I'm sweet enough already.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can only assume you think I'm sweet enough already.
Most people I know who are opinionated as you are (and to be fair, as I am) on sparkling wines would not consider drinking any demi-sec. Surprising that you did, is all.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:08 am

Most people I know who are opinionated as you are (and to be fair, as I am) on sparkling wines would not consider drinking any demi-sec. Surprising that you did, is all.
Can we put a stop to this bromance, please? LOL
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:56 am

You're doing a lot of explaining today. You think there is a relationship between being opinionated and liking dry sparkling wine?

That said, one of my favorite mid-price Champagnes is Laurent-Perrier Demi-Sec. (But then, I like Laurent-Perrier anything.)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a side note, what's a fair price for Veuve? I seem to see it for north of $55-60 these days, and it seems that I used to see it fairly frequently for $35-40. Same with Moet.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
On a side note, what's a fair price for Veuve? I seem to see it for north of $55-60 these days, and it seems that I used to see it fairly frequently for $35-40. Same with Moet.
Depends on where you buy it. I rembember it being 35 in California years ago, but now it is 45 at Costco and 55 in my local wine store in NC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.