Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by travellingwineO

And I think life is way too short to drink crappy wine. That's what dump buckets (or sink drains) are for.
I'm going to come to travellingwine's defense and say I've poured a bottle of Veuve down the sink too. It wasn't corked, either. According to my notes, De Vonage Louis XV 1996 and Pommery Louise 1999 got the same treatment. That's also when I learned to ignore Total Wine's "Winery Direct" offerings

Why bother drinking something you don't like? If I'm going to be downing calories, it's going to be on something I enjoy! Like a 1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc De Millenaires. It is divine! I'm surprised it's available AND decently priced!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Condition One
I'm going to come to travellingwine's defense and say I've poured a bottle of Veuve down the sink too. It wasn't corked, either. According to my notes, De Vonage Louis XV 1996 and Pommery Louise 1999 got the same treatment. That's also when I learned to ignore Total Wine's "Winery Direct" offerings

Why bother drinking something you don't like? If I'm going to be downing calories, it's going to be on something I enjoy! Like a 1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc De Millenaires. It is divine! I'm surprised it's available AND decently priced!
I will poor wine down the drain unless my husband stops me. We still have a so so Italian red we use for cooking. I know it's a bad idea to cook with wine you don't like. Tell him that.

That 1995 is a bit hard to find. Too bad, I was curious.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I prefer the Veuve (which is $42 at Costco here), but it's a matter of taste.
They were serving Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2004 on my AF JFK-CDG flight this week. ^ Other than the name, you couldn't find two different Champagnes than normal run of the milll VC and VC La Grande Dame.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Condition One

There is a difference between pouring a bottle down the drain and routinely pouring Veuve down the drain. I would suggest sending it my way before opening, rather than opening it and pouring.

Originally Posted by stimpy
They were serving Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2004 on my AF JFK-CDG flight this week. Other than the name, you couldn't find two different Champagnes than normal run of the milll VC and VC La Grande Dame.
I presume you were not in coach. If you were, I'll be changing my airline to the one represented on several of my vintage French posters.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:33 pm

They were serving Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2004 on my AF JFK-CDG flight this week. ^ Other than the name, you couldn't find two different Champagnes than normal run of the milll VC and VC La Grande Dame.
If you tried them both, how were they? Or were you going by reputation?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
If you tried them both, how were they? Or were you going by reputation?
I've tried both many times. They are very different.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:25 pm

I've tried both many times. They are very different.
I was hoping for more detail, but LOL.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I was hoping for more detail, but LOL.
Well taste is subjective, and I'm not one to give flowery descriptions such as the robe is this or the notes are that. Objectively the 2004 is a millésime and thus designated as a really good year and stored for aging. That alone will make it taste significantly different. And the House obviously puts special effort into that. And it costs about 5 times as much.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had Perrier-Jouet at my wedding. We bought it for $39/bottle at the New Hampshire liquor store. It is definitely a cut above the orange label Veuve for me.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I prefer the Veuve (which is $42 at Costco here), but it's a matter of taste.
Completely Agree. For the price that is my favorite.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:38 am
Suspended

At the end of a long,hot day with the sun hogging the horizon a perfectly acceptable glass of chilled cava costing a few euros is all I need.
Unless someone else is paying for it the tightwad in me just cannot bring myself to spend a fortune on what is essentially sparkling white wine.
And then to sometimes mix it with orange juice ?
I accept that I might be in the minority in this thread.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
At the end of a long,hot day with the sun hogging the horizon a perfectly acceptable glass of chilled cava costing a few euros is all I need.
Unless someone else is paying for it the tightwad in me just cannot bring myself to spend a fortune on what is essentially sparkling white wine.
There is nothing wrong with mixing orange juice with cheap cava!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There is nothing wrong with mixing orange juice with cheap cava!
Or, indeed, Bollinger
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
That's like saying we should only drink tap water and nothing else. Some wine is better than others. I have no doubt.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: HH Silver
While I had a few bottles of Taittinger chilling ready for NYE I couldn't resist opening one tonight to mark a very successful year end. Carpe champagne!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.