Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Personally, I just don't see real Champagne as being worth the freight relative to other sparklers available in the U.S. market.

Give me a Piper Sonoma for $12, or a Roederer Estate for under $20 any day over any Champagne that sells for under $40 a bottle. And if I want to splurge and pay $40 a bottle, I'll go for a vintage Roederer L'Ermitage.

Now don't get me wrong - I certainly like Dom or Krug, but I just don't see them being worth anything close to $200 a bottle in the grand scheme of things. For $200 a bottle, I expect to be drinking a top tier Red Burgundy with some age on it. Champagne at that price point just seems frivolous to me.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I saw one of your Crémant suggestions, but didn't see any specific €6-7 Champagne or €15-20 Millésimes suggestions.
Hmm. Maybe it's in some other Champagne thread. There are many of them on Flyertalk. Anyhow, I remember this name http://www.champagnemauricevesselle.com/en/ as the vintage 2000 that I have a bunch of. I bought a few cases for €18 per bottle as I recall. Checking now I see the ask for the 2004 is up to €29 now. However that is retail price and includes VAT of 20%. There are way to purchase wines in France without tax that I won't go into here.

Others high quality small producer Champagne houses that I tasted recently are...

BARON DAUVERGNE
BOURGEOIS-DIAZ
GONET-MÉDEVILLE
OLIVIER HORIOT
LAHERTE & FRÈRES
CHRISTOPHE LEFÈVRE
RÉMY MASSIN & FILS
ROBERT MONTCUIT
MOUZON LEROUX ET FILS
VAUVERSIN

The retail prices for these are around €20 - €35 per bottle. And there are many ways to avoid paying high retail prices.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
We drink a lot of Champagne in our house. In a typical week, we open 2-3 bottles. Typically they are entry level Champagnes, usually less than $40/bottle. Occasionally we drink more expensive stuff. The last three times I've been served Veuve yellow label (two of those times, it was served blind, so there was no label bias involved) I have literally poured it down the drain because I found it undrinkable. No hyperbole involved.
You have to remember that the reason a Champagne tastes so bad that you pour it down the drain is probably not due to the producer of the product nor the quality of the grapes. It is most often due to the importers not taking good care of the product during transport or improper storage in the US or whatever country you are in. For those who say they hate VC, I would suggest taking a visit to Reims and try it sur place. It will likely taste completely different to you. I'm not saying VC is the best or worth the price, but if you get a good bottle it is certainly not something you'd pour down the drain. And their Grande Dame line is a really good Champagne.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Veuve is overpriced in the US market, but calling it "undrinkable swill" is pretty extreme hyperbole. It's plenty tasty, though I'd not pay the price.
Yeah, I don't mind Veuve. I drink Champagne so rarely though, that I don't quite remember it. I recently found a bottle of Veuve for $39 vs the usual $46 so I bought it.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
You have to remember that the reason a Champagne tastes so bad that you pour it down the drain is probably not due to the producer of the product nor the quality of the grapes. It is most often due to the importers not taking good care of the product during transport or improper storage in the US or whatever country you are in. For those who say they hate VC, I would suggest taking a visit to Reims and try it sur place. It will likely taste completely different to you. I'm not saying VC is the best or worth the price, but if you get a good bottle it is certainly not something you'd pour down the drain. And their Grande Dame line is a really good Champagne.
Another reaction to someone claiming they have poured Veuve down the drain three times might be, "Uh huh."

Further, I rather doubt that that poster has had Veuve that the importers didn't take good care of on three occasions, but have taken good care of all the others such that it didn't need to be poured down the drain. I'm pretty sure whoever imports it is importing countless other brands, as well.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Personally, I just don't see real Champagne as being worth the freight relative to other sparklers available in the U.S. market.
This is kind of where I come down on the issue, except when I travel to France. Then, I like to take advantage of my environs and try lots of small producers whose product doesn't make it to the USA.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Another reaction to someone claiming they have poured Veuve down the drain three times might be, "Uh huh."

Further, I rather doubt that that poster has had Veuve that the importers didn't take good care of on three occasions, but have taken good care of all the others such that it didn't need to be poured down the drain. I'm pretty sure whoever imports it is importing countless other brands, as well.
Why exactly is pouring a wine that you can't stand down the drain so far fetched? I don't care if a wine is $2/bottle or $200/bottle, if it tastes like crap, it tastes like crap. To my palate, the past few times I've had Veuve, it tasted like crap and has had a very characteristic chemical odor on the nose- it smells like it did when I was waiting for my Mom at the hairdressers as a kid.

And I think life is way too short to drink crappy wine. That's what dump buckets (or sink drains) are for.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread needs a bump.

I'm in America and found Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut for $38 at Sam's Club. Steal.

Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
This thread needs a bump.

I'm in America and found Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut for $38 at Sam's Club. Steal.

How much does a membership cost at Sam's Club?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I'd say you'd have to buy 7 or 8 bottles to "pay" for it.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should have said that Amex is running a promo for a free day at Sam's Club. I'm not sure how targeted it is, but I got an email about it. So for one day I got to use Sam's Club and pay the same prices as members. I think I spent about $350.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'd say you'd have to buy 7 or 8 bottles to "pay" for it.
I wonder how it compares to Veuve Clicquot, my favorite? And is this available nationwide at that price?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how it compares to Veuve Clicquot, my favorite? And is this available nationwide at that price?
For me it is a step above VC. But not a huge step above. I don't know nationwide, but I was in Virginia by IAD.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:22 pm

I can get it for $39.97 at my local Total Wine store in North Carolina. Veuve is maybe $48 max at Costco.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:35 pm

I prefer the Veuve (which is $42 at Costco here), but it's a matter of taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.