Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
"what do you mean declined? Run it again!"
Years and years ago, when Mr. Kipper was a LCpl. in the Marine Corps, we went out to a sports bar to watch a Steelers game. At the time, we had two separate bank accounts with debit cards, plus one credit card. Between the two of us, we were earning less than what one of us earns now, so going out was a treat.

This was before internet banking was popular, and while I thought we'd be fine and could easily pay for our meals, all three cards came back as declined for the full amount. We ended up using the credit card for a portion and one of the bank cards for the other portion of the bill.

That was the last time we went out without knowing exactly how much money we could spend and having multiple ways to pay for it!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:49 am

"what do you mean declined? Run it again!"
I do have some sympathy for those cases. My credit card company's fraud detection procedures have caused me some trouble in the past. It seems that two companies in different states billing my card at the same time is suspicious, even though that is sure to happen a few times with on-line purchases.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I do have some sympathy for those cases. My credit card company's fraud detection procedures have caused me some trouble in the past. It seems that two companies in different states billing my card at the same time is suspicious, even though that is sure to happen a few times with on-line purchases.
While I agree, has there ever been a case in recorded history where a card that declined the first time didn't decline the second time unless a phone call was made?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:19 pm

While I agree, has there ever been a case in recorded history where a card that declined the first time didn't decline the second time unless a phone call was made?
D'oh. I see your point.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:49 am

Stopped at a non-chain burrito bar type restaurant for lunch today. It was obvious the two women in front of me had never dined at one before. I probably should've left when their answer to the question of "What kind of tortilla do you want?" was "What do you mean I need to pick a tortilla?" D'oh! The one saw the cilantro and said, "I'll take some spinach on my burrito." The employee explained that it was cilantro, although at that point, I'd probably have enjoyed it more if he'd just tossed a bunch on without correcting her.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
"I'm ordering for the whole office".

And of course it's off some handwritten list that was written by the person there with the worst handwriting of anyone and the person they've sent is unfamiliar with the place you're at and everyone has a special order.
The worst is at subway, when they start asking the person ordering for everyone what veggies and condiments should be the first of the 8 subs they're ordering. At the same time there is a second employee still asking what cheese and if they want it toasted for one of the other subs in the order. The person just gets the deer in headlights look and can't seem to get their crap together.

If I ever had to order subway for the office, I'd tell everyone to write down exactly what they wanted on their sub - if it isn't written down, you don't get it. Oh, you wanted Mayo and banana peppers? TOO BAD!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264
The worst is at subway, when they start asking the person ordering for everyone what veggies and condiments should be the first of the 8 subs they're ordering. At the same time there is a second employee still asking what cheese and if they want it toasted for one of the other subs in the order. The person just gets the deer in headlights look and can't seem to get their crap together.

If I ever had to order subway for the office, I'd tell everyone to write down exactly what they wanted on their sub - if it isn't written down, you don't get it. Oh, you wanted Mayo and banana peppers? TOO BAD!
I've found that at places like Subway, it's easier to either give them all of the subs in the order at once, waiting on veggies and condiments until the bread, meat, and cheese are covered, or complete one sub at a time.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It was me you didn't want in front of you this week: at Starbucks about 7pm, I ordered a medium (I refuse to use their silly names) decaf coffee.

The perky counter person responded: "OK! Shall we do a pour over or are just wanting an Americano?"

Me: "I have no idea what you just said. I want a medium decaf coffee."
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

"I'm ordering for the whole office..."
And then "I'll need separate checks!"
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
It was me you didn't want in front of you this week: at Starbucks about 7pm, I ordered a medium (I refuse to use their silly names) decaf coffee.

The perky counter person responded: "OK! Shall we do a pour over or are just wanting an Americano?"

How agitated do you get when people in front of you in lines at the airport intentionally gum things up by not heeding to the clearly displayed signage?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd

A few weeks ago, I asked Mr. Kipper to go through a Starbucks drive-thru. It was around 12 PM, and I wanted a small (tall) dark roast coffee. Mr. Kipper, upon hearing me say tall, orders a "large dark roast coffee." The response was, "We only brew the dark roast in the mornings. Would you like a pour over?"

I don't know who was more confused--the employee or Mr. Kipper, as neither one understood the other.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
How agitated do you get when people in front of you in lines at the airport intentionally gum things up by not heeding to the clearly displayed signage?
I'm far more agitated over vendors who insist on making up asinine names for their products.

Small, Medium, Large. Simple, timeless, effective.

It's not a "trenta", it's a quart!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Failure to plan on your part does not mean I should be inconvenienced.

I don't mind if people place an order that is for a few people in the drive-thru, but if it's for more than 3 or 4 (and requires multiple drink carriers, etc), I think it's time to go inside. I do mind, if added to that reasonably large order, people either use several coupons or have special requests for each item. To me, drive-thrus especially should be fast, and as such, should not be used for huge orders (to feed 6) or for multiple special requests.
Anyone else think Mr Kipper needs therapy or at least some kind of life?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by maniac78
Anyone else think Mr Kipper needs therapy or at least some kind of life?
Mr. Kipper?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Stoughton
I'm far more agitated over vendors who insist on making up asinine names for their products.

Small, Medium, Large. Simple, timeless, effective.

It's not a "trenta", it's a quart!
My favourite place just does one size - like it or leave it. It's larger than usual which suits me, and they do double shots for no extra charge. I've only been to starbucks once and it was so pointlessly confusing that I would never return (well, that and the fact that their alleged coffee is rubbish).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.