Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Spiffster
That drives me crazy too. And the chances that this is the first time the person has been to this restaurant approach zero. I had an ex-gf who would do this, I would start to ask her what she wanted as we were pulling into the parking lot and she finally figured it out. My wife would do the same thing when we were driving and coming up to a toll booth. She'd just totally glaze over on getting the change out to pay the toll...

My mother-in-law does the other "drive me crazy" thing. She pays by check where ever she shops. She waits until she gets the total from the cashier and then starts ... to ... pull ... the ... checkbook ... out ... of ... the ... purse, ... open ... the ... checkbook, .. go ... back ... into ... the ... purse ... to ... find ... a ... pen, then ask ... the .. cashier .. for ... the ... total ... again. That adds 20-30 points to my BP right there...
If I ever pay by check, it's at the grocery store, and I always have everything but the total written out by the time they finish scanning everything. I get very annoyed by people like your mother-in-law.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Originally Posted by Analise
LOL That is so right....those names! You are, as they say, "spot on"!

So what do you do? Endure this?
I usually try to avoid the situation if I can. If there are multiple lines, I'll steer away from the ones with parents and kids.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Took the words right out of my keyboard!

That drives me crazy too. And the chances that this is the first time the person has been to this restaurant approach zero. I had an ex-gf who would do this, I would start to ask her what she wanted as we were pulling into the parking lot and she finally figured it out. My wife would do the same thing when we were driving and coming up to a toll booth. She'd just totally glaze over on getting the change out to pay the toll...

My mother-in-law does the other "drive me crazy" thing. She pays by check where ever she shops. She waits until she gets the total from the cashier and then starts ... to ... pull ... the ... checkbook ... out ... of ... the ... purse, ... open ... the ... checkbook, .. go ... back ... into ... the ... purse ... to ... find ... a ... pen, then ask ... the .. cashier .. for ... the ... total ... again. That adds 20-30 points to my BP right there...
My BP went up 15 points just being reminded of that!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rochel
In any fast food line, or movie theatre snack counter line, I cringe at the words..

"Ok, Brittanee (Hailee, Dakota, Karlee... take your pick) tell the nice lady what you want".

Spoken by a parent to their child and followed by 5 minutes of dithering and babble back and forth.

i know kids have to learn to order food at some point, but not in a busy line and not when they are just barely verbal.
I was in loco parentis on Saturday, and made the three year old boy (who has a normal name not ending in 'ee') I was in charge of order his own drink at the fast food window. Reason being, the child wanted peach jucie which I knew they wouldn't have, just apple or orange, and had already said as much to him in line. I told him they 'may' not have it, and what would he like as an alternative, all in line before we got to the front. He asked nicely, with his p&qs for peach juice the guy reponded they only had apple or orange, and so my young charge said 'please may I have water instead then please'. It took no more than 10 seconds for him to do this, and I think it is an important part of teaching children manners and social behaviour.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Originally Posted by emma69
I was in loco parentis on Saturday, and made the three year old boy (who has a normal name not ending in 'ee') I was in charge of order his own drink at the fast food window. Reason being, the child wanted peach jucie which I knew they wouldn't have, just apple or orange, and had already said as much to him in line. I told him they 'may' not have it, and what would he like as an alternative, all in line before we got to the front. He asked nicely, with his p&qs for peach juice the guy reponded they only had apple or orange, and so my young charge said 'please may I have water instead then please'. It took no more than 10 seconds for him to do this, and I think it is an important part of teaching children manners and social behaviour.
I think that is a great way to do it... you knew he was prepared before getting to the front of the line. My gripe is only with those parents who don't do this, but wait to get to the clerk before even starting to help the kid figure out what they want and how to ask for it. I agree if done with consideration that this is an important life skill to learn.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rochel
I think that is a great way to do it... you knew he was prepared before getting to the front of the line. My gripe is only with those parents who don't do this, but wait to get to the clerk before even starting to help the kid figure out what they want and how to ask for it. I agree if done with consideration that this is an important life skill to learn.
That's a very good way to do it--he was prepared with an alternative, but learned how to order a drink for himself. It should be done with consideration. If you know your child does not know what they want, and there are people behind you, waiting, the considerate thing to do would be to allow the next person in line to order, while aiding your child in determining what they want.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
It drives me crazy too Which is why I won't go shopping with here. Because when I used to and would remind her to get ready to check out, she'd get all offended. I would tell Bob (FiL) it was really his fault because he didn't train her correctly...

Originally Posted by kipper
If I ever pay by check, it's at the grocery store, and I always have everything but the total written out by the time they finish scanning everything. I get very annoyed by people like your mother-in-law.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
Mine went up 20 typing it...

Originally Posted by seaduck79
My BP went up 15 points just being reminded of that!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by maize&blue
My biggest pet peeve in line is when the person in front of me has also been waiting for at least several minutes, and yet when he's asked for his order he suddenly looks at the menu as if it just became visible.
Then after they take forever to order and it's time to pay, they get that deer-in-headlights look and then finally start rummaging around their abyss of a purse/wallet/backpack for something to pay with ...people, have your money ready if there's a line behind you...duh!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:11 pm

Anybody paying by check should be shot!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by limeyx
Anybody paying by check should be shot!
How does one not want the mileage or membership rewards points? Baffling!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Analise
How does one not want the mileage or membership rewards points? Baffling!
If one is trying to minimize the use of plastic in general, then sometimes, mileage or points isn't worth it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
"I'm ordering for the whole office".

And of course it's off some handwritten list that was written by the person there with the worst handwriting of anyone and the person they've sent is unfamiliar with the place you're at and everyone has a special order.
When I ordered for the office, I refused special orders. You can pick it off.

I used to order pizza on Fridays and the whole office would want a different pizza. I made it simple. Pepperoni only. Someone made the remark that they could not eat pepperoni because of something (do not remember why). I told them they could either pick it off or grab a snickers bar from the vending machine.

I hate it when the entire family, mom and her five kids, have been in line for 5 minutes a McDonalds.. get to the front of the line... and then mom asks her kids what they want!

Worse thing to hear.. a guy is paying for his meal, stops, and mentions something about "chest pains". The order takes eyes gets wide and she freezes. The guy falls onto the counter... long story short, it was a mild heart attack and was okay.

Last edited by jbdk; Mar 31, 2011 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jbdk
I used to order pizza on Fridays and the whole office would want a different pizza. I made it simple. Pepperoni only. Someone made the remark that they could not eat pepperoni because of something (do not remember why). I told them they could either pick it off or grab a snickers bar from the vending machine.
You order only pepperoni pizza for the office? I would guess that your order would consist of more than just one pizza so an order like that would be rather cruel. It's not hard to just have a list of suggestions and choose from there.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by jbdk
When I ordered for the office, I refused special orders. You can pick it off.

I hate it when the entire family, mom and her five kids, have been in line for 5 minutes a McDonalds.. get to the front of the line... and then mom asks her kids what they want!

Worse thing to hear.. a guy is paying for his meal, stops, and mentions something about "chest pains". The order takes eyes gets wide and she freezes. The guy falls onto the counter... long story short, it was a mild heart attack and was okay.
You must be joking. That's quite an attitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.