Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jbdk
I used to order pizza on Fridays and the whole office would want a different pizza. I made it simple. Pepperoni only. Someone made the remark that they could not eat pepperoni because of something (do not remember why). I told them they could either pick it off or grab a snickers bar from the vending machine.
I'd have ordered pepperoni and cheese--splitting the order about in half. That way, those who don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, those who just don't eat meat, or those who don't like pepperoni have an option, but it doesn't complicate things with 10 different requests.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
How does one not want the mileage or membership rewards points? Baffling!
Indeed
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dchristiva
You must be joking. That's quite an attitude.
Well.. when you get 12 peolpe wanting 12 different pizzas.. it gets old quick.

One person wants pepperoni and sausage, another wants mushrooms and bell peppers on thick crust. Another wants jalapeños and extra cheese, etc, etc, etc...

I can get 4 large pepperoni pizza for $30 (tax and tip brings it to about $42) from a pizza place next to us that gives us a deal. That is about $3.50 a person and four slices a person. Going the other route, it costs over $50 and there is pizza left over because only ONE person liked the jalapeño and extra cheese.

PLUS.. the office (company paid for it). Do not complain about getting something for free!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If one is trying to minimize the use of plastic in general, then sometimes, mileage or points isn't worth it.
One can certainly keep within a strict budget while using plastic thus earning points/miles; that's how we live so I'm talking from experience. It isn't like you toss out your receipts and forget about them.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: QFF WP, PG Premier, LHW LeadersClub Ultimate, R&C 5C Club,HHonour GOLD,
You have been to the shopping mall ...which you hate at the best of times and there is a queue to get out of the parking station there are several cars in front and you have been waiting several minutes as it is automatic machine.
Then you are one car away from escape and the lady in front starts to look for her parking ticket, you see her look in the glove box her bag, the sun visor turn to her freind and ask etc. etc. etc.

I am getting livid just thinking about it....
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
One can certainly keep within a strict budget while using plastic thus earning points/miles; that's how we live so I'm talking from experience. It isn't like you toss out your receipts and forget about them.
I'm not saying you can't, but for some people, they don't like or use plastic, if at all possible.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:26 pm
Suspended

People who sample their food before leaving the counter, prohibiting anyone else from ordering until they've decided their food is acceptable
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
that's a little extreme, don't you think? no smilie even...

i can't remember that last time I wrote a check in a store...

But the in-laws just got rid of all their plastic and went to cash-check only. They're 70 and don't care about points or miles or cash-back or anything like that. I do all I can to make all their major purchases for them and pay their bills with CCs and such. I even got the 5% on discover last month for groceries off them. But some things they just don't care about.... {shrug}

Originally Posted by limeyx
Anybody paying by check should be shot!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
Agree in principle but I always offered choices. It's America, choices are good...

It's like raising kids, you don't ask them what they want: you give them choices. Do you want pepperoni, veggie or plain.

Pizza is the perfect food for groups. No way can you get a dozen people to order the same subway sandwich but you can get a dozen people to agree on 4 pizzas....

Originally Posted by jbdk
When I ordered for the office, I refused special orders. You can pick it off.

I used to order pizza on Fridays and the whole office would want a different pizza. I made it simple. Pepperoni only. Someone made the remark that they could not eat pepperoni because of something (do not remember why). I told them they could either pick it off or grab a snickers bar from the vending machine.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:54 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The Sheraton NY charges non-guests for bag storage. There's a sign at the desk that clearly says "$3.25 cash only." I'm standing behind a girl who asks if she can pay with a credit card. No, cash only. Can I write a check? No, cash only. I don't have any cash...

Now, if she were non-American I would have gladly stepped up and covered her charge because there are a variety of reasons why she might not have the cash or understand the sign. But, this little idiot explains that she doesn't carry cash, so I figured that there are hard lessons to learn when you adopt a stupid policy and stood there patiently while she pleaded against an intransigent clerk and eventually went off to find a way to come up with the $3.25 in cash. I'm normally not that patient.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: None anymore
Agree on the pizza deal. Order 1 cheese 2 pepperoni 1 Deluxe/Supreme done deal.
As for office orders, pass around a sheet get the orders fax it in, what for the call confirming order is in and will be ready in X minutes. Or don't be 'that guy' and order the #3 lunch meal BUT add pickle hold the onion(have a client coming in) no mayo/mustard(don't want to stain tie #4) zucchini fries not french fries and ohh can i get the kiwi mango banana chutney on the side.

As for checks, Some stores take the check run it threw the machine and hand it right back. Heck they even tell you tell you don't fill it out the machine will do that for you. But yes, when I used checks I had it completely filled out before I unloaded my cart as a rule(mainly because the person in front of me spent 5 mins filling theirs out after they were done being rung up)

My hated "person in front of you' is anyone that complicates the check out process into a 15 minute ordeal. Watch as the items ring up question the price then not at the end when the cashier has to read threw a screen/paper recipe to find the item, ask the bag person to get it out so they can scan it again. Know your budget! nothing more annoying then watching someone decide which item/s to take off the bill because they are over by $20. Perhaps start with the $15 in tabloid rags and the $10 in bagged candy(junk).
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Someone who thinks they have a chance of making it with the cashier. I'm often stuck at the gas station down the street from work wanting to buy one item and the guy in front of me is flirting with the cashier, who's 40 years younger than him and is CLEARLY NOT INTERESTED and takes five minutes to buy his scratch off because of this
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:16 pm

Something I heard today in line at the drive-thru (my window was down, and I was ready to order as soon as I could) "I'd like two Item A, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, one of Item B, two of Item C, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, one of Item D, three of Item E, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, two of Item F, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, and one of Item G, and I have a coupon for that for free."

If you have several coupons to use in one order, PLEASE go inside!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spiffster
that's a little extreme, don't you think? no smilie even...
Heh heh heh, here's the missing smile heh
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Something I heard today in line at the drive-thru (my window was down, and I was ready to order as soon as I could) "I'd like two Item A, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, one of Item B, two of Item C, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, one of Item D, three of Item E, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, two of Item F, and I have a coupon for buy one get one free, and one of Item G, and I have a coupon for that for free."

If you have several coupons to use in one order, PLEASE go inside!
This got me laughing... I can picture the poor 15 year old kid on his first day of work trying to sort out the order on the other side of the microphone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.