Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by trooper
My apologies kipper...

No offence intended.

As it happens I was at one of your favorite spots this morning... at the range training! (Off to NZ for a BIG IPSC comp soon)
LOL, no worries.

Good luck in your IPSC competition!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Not hearing, but seeing....

When you place your order at the Starbucks drive-through, and then round the corner to aim at the window -- and see a 15 passenger van in front of you.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:40 am

I was at the McDonalds drive through up in Ottawa Canada
one time to grab a quick late breakfast.

I'm ordering... clerk interrupts and tells me they don't start
serving breakfast until X hour.

I check my watch... and reply back that is in 3 minutes.
Please process my order.

Sorry sir, you will need to wait in the parking lot and
pull up again once clock has reached X hour.

I drag out the conversation... finally X hour arrives
and I ask for my order. Clerk repeats herself to which
I ask her to check her watch.

Finally get order.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Some registers are set up to lock out functions or options for certain times of day, so it could be they couldn't access the breakfast menu yet. I live in a county where you can't buy bottled alcohol in a store before 1:00pm on a Sunday, and when we tried to buy some wine at 12:58pm on Sunday afternoon, the register at Publix wouldn't allow the barcode to scan properly and instead threw up an error message that the purchase was not allowed at that time.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FearFree
I've had a card get declined on the first try, and work on subsequent tries. My card was fairly well worn, and the magnetic strip didn't read well. Some merchants it worked fine, other times it must have only read the partial numbers and at these places would come back as declined. A 2nd swipe often resulted in an approval, and if not a manual entry of the card number would always result in an approval. It wasn't usually a problem except for the one day at McDonald's when the cashier was adamant that she couldn't manually enter the numbers.

The card has since been replaced, but it is certainly plausible.
some merchants have to pay a higher transaction fee for keyed entry rather than swiped entry. keyed entry transactions have a higher fraud rate.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Paul56
I was at the McDonalds drive through up in Ottawa Canada
one time to grab a quick late breakfast.

I'm ordering... clerk interrupts and tells me they don't start
serving breakfast until X hour.

I check my watch... and reply back that is in 3 minutes.
Please process my order.

Sorry sir, you will need to wait in the parking lot and
pull up again once clock has reached X hour.

I drag out the conversation... finally X hour arrives
and I ask for my order. Clerk repeats herself to which
I ask her to check her watch.

Finally get order.
hope you enjoyed your spit-mc-muffin
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:18 pm

Am I the only one who hates it when people in front of your line up orders while looking at their phones, completely avoiding eye contact with the cashier?

Best part is the cashier has to go like "Hello?!" "Hey?!" for them to reply.

Talk about manners.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by trooper
If kipper needs therapy... then so do I (and most folks I know actually)

We totally share his view that if it's:

1. For a whole bunch of people, ...
Needing a quick cup of coffee -- and seeing that at the corner McDonalds there were no cars in the drive through and only one (with only two occupants) heading for it -- I pull up behind that car but am now boxed in by the car arriving behind me. And then I hear in front of me: "We'll be a few minutes while we discuss what we want."

Argh.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Needing a quick cup of coffee -- and seeing that at the corner McDonalds there were no cars in the drive through and only one (with only two occupants) heading for it -- I pull up behind that car but am now boxed in by the car arriving behind me. And then I hear in front of me: "We'll be a few minutes while we discuss what we want."

Argh.
I hate those! If you don't know what you want, go inside.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:11 pm

Last week-

Cashier: "Your total is $xx.xx."
Person in front of me: "Hold on, i forgot the milk."
Runs to get the milk.
_____

This week-

Person in front of me: "Just a second. My husband is coming soon. He went to get the xxx."
_____

Also this week-

Cashier: "This is the express line (about 10 items or less). You are going to have to go to another line."
Person next row over (who has about 25 items): "oh, its ok. I'll split this in half. You can ring me up twice."
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jologolf212
Last week-

Runs to get the milk.
_____

This week-

Person in front of me: "Just a second. My husband is coming soon. He went to get the xxx."
_____

Also this week-

Cashier: "This is the express line (about 10 items or less). You are going to have to go to another line."
Person next row over (who has about 25 items): "oh, its ok. I'll split this in half. You can ring me up twice."
If I'm waiting on Mr. Kipper to bring something to the register, I'll allow people to go in front of me, rather than hold up the line.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (WP8 (Amber): Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521))

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I once confess to holding up a line when I asked for a small drink and the clerk responded that they only had medium and large.

I said "I'll take the small one then."

"We only have medium and large."

Rinse, repeat.
The proper response would have been "OK then, give me a regular"...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
This happened at my local Starbucks on Saturday. It was a bit after 7am and I stop in for a grande nonfat, no whip, extra hot salted caramel latte in a personal cup. I go in and there are 3 people ahead of me. One of the people has an email printed out with 10-15 drink orders. She is half way through the list when she points out her 2 companions want to order too. Grrrrr!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Campers. I hate campers. Got stuck behind one just this morning in Dunkin Donuts.

What's a camper? A woman who places her purse on the counter when making a purchase, unpacks half the contents to pay for her order, then camps out while she meticulously puts each item back, puts her change in one spot, her reciept in another spot, and carefully zips up each compartment.

The camper in front of me this morning added to it - once her purse was finally zipped up, she also took time to grab napkins from the dispenser, place them in her bag, and carefully roll up the bag. Then she slung her purse, picked up her bag in one hand, and picked up her beverage in the other. And she made sure to take a sip before turning around to move the 18" or so that moved her out of my way so I could order.

I hate campers. I just don't understand why so many items have to come out when all you need is your cash, card, or check book.

Originally Posted by jologolf212
Last week-

Runs to get the milk.
_____

This week-

_____

Also this week-

During the baby recession of the early 90s, I worked part-time (read: 30 hours) as a cashier/bagger/lot guy in a local supermarket to make ends meet, and I saw those behaviors many, many times. It took a lot of effort to smile in a friendly manner when someone held up an entire line of people, especially when the people behind the jerk started complaining to me about the jerk's behavior.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Campers. I hate campers. Got stuck behind one just this morning in Dunkin Donuts.

What's a camper? A woman who places her purse on the counter when making a purchase, unpacks half the contents to pay for her order, then camps out while she meticulously puts each item back, puts her change in one spot, her reciept in another spot, and carefully zips up each compartment.

The camper in front of me this morning added to it - once her purse was finally zipped up, she also took time to grab napkins from the dispenser, place them in her bag, and carefully roll up the bag. Then she slung her purse, picked up her bag in one hand, and picked up her beverage in the other. And she made sure to take a sip before turning around to move the 18" or so that moved her out of my way so I could order.

I hate campers. I just don't understand why so many items have to come out when all you need is your cash, card, or check book.

During the baby recession of the early 90s, I worked part-time (read: 30 hours) as a cashier/bagger/lot guy in a local supermarket to make ends meet, and I saw those behaviors many, many times. It took a lot of effort to smile in a friendly manner when someone held up an entire line of people, especially when the people behind the jerk started complaining to me about the jerk's behavior.
Definition of Campers #2- At a restaurant, people that are done with their meal, drinks, and pay their bills but don't leave. They sit there knowing that many people are waiting for that seat but continue to talk and not think about getting up. I'm sure some people are doing it by accident but i always feel like they are doing it on purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.