Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jologolf212
Definition of Campers #2- At a restaurant, people that are done with their meal, drinks, and pay their bills but don't leave. They sit there knowing that many people are waiting for that seat but continue to talk and not think about getting up. I'm sure some people are doing it by accident but i always feel like they are doing it on purpose.
If there's not a wait, why would that be a problem?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Definition of Campers #2- At a restaurant, people that are done with their meal, drinks, and pay their bills but don't leave. They sit there knowing that many people are waiting for that seat but continue to talk and not think about getting up. I'm sure some people are doing it by accident but i always feel like they are doing it on purpose.
I have dinner with friends and family every weekend. We usually go to a cheap buffet, but once in a while we go to a chain restaurant. We have been victims of the inconsiderate campers in the past and we really hated being forced to wait while a table of folks just sat there taking up space while our stomachs rumbled, so we take care not to do it ourselves.

We sit and talk after dinner almost all the time - unless there are people waiting for a table, in which case we are considerate and GTFO.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If there's not a wait, why would that be a problem?
Definitely only pertaining to when there are people waiting. Hence the reason i wrote " know people are there waiting"
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
No so fast, bub. While I agree with you that folks who linger for an hour after finishing their meal when there's a line waiting to be seated are inconsiderate, I will not be harried out of a restaurant the minute I set my fork down just because someone else believes it's their turn at the table. In between those two extremes are a lot of shades of gray.

Furthermore, if there's a problem with seating, it is the restaurant manager's responsibility to deal with it. If the restaurant manager wants to tell me my group and I are no longer welcome, I will have that conversation with him. And in that conversation I will be sure to reference to the size of our bill, the size of our tip, and the frequency with which we visit his establishment. (Yes, I've actually had this conversation with a manager.) If another customer wishes to pressure me or anyone in my group to leave, including by staring at us with the "evil eye" or hovering over us, I will not have that conversation. Instead I will go to the manager and ask to have the disruptive non-customer removed! (Yes, I've had this conversation with a manager, too.)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thought of this thread earlier this week. The car in front of me at a McDonalds drive thru had a broken driver's window so at the ordering screen, paying window and pickup window the driver had to open her door and lean her arm out to take care of business. If my window won't go down, I'm walking inside
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thought of this thread earlier this week. The car in front of me at a McDonalds drive thru had a broken driver's window so at the ordering screen, paying window and pickup window the driver had to open her door and lean her arm out to take care of business. If my window won't go down, I'm walking inside
Hell, if I see 3 cars in the drive thru, I'm walking inside anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
No so fast, bub. While I agree with you that folks who linger for an hour after finishing their meal when there's a line waiting to be seated are inconsiderate, I will not be harried out of a restaurant the minute I set my fork down just because someone else believes it's their turn at the table. In between those two extremes are a lot of shades of gray.

Furthermore, if there's a problem with seating, it is the restaurant manager's responsibility to deal with it. If the restaurant manager wants to tell me my group and I are no longer welcome, I will have that conversation with him. And in that conversation I will be sure to reference to the size of our bill, the size of our tip, and the frequency with which we visit his establishment. (Yes, I've actually had this conversation with a manager.) If another customer wishes to pressure me or anyone in my group to leave, including by staring at us with the "evil eye" or hovering over us, I will not have that conversation. Instead I will go to the manager and ask to have the disruptive non-customer removed! (Yes, I've had this conversation with a manager, too.)

I don't think anyone should feel rushed to eat their meal or leave as soon as they are done. I agree there is a gray area when people are done with their meals and one can dispute how much time determines the beginning and ending of the gray period. Further agree that its the managements job to deal with customers. With that being said, I'm speaking of people who have completely passed that gray area. You finish your meal then order another bottle of wine, I don't have a problem with that. You finish your meal, pay your check, then yuck it up for another 30 minutes, then you get up and leave, I have a problem with that.

I agree that if I visit the same restaurant with frequency and run up a large bill with a large tip every time I go, I am entitled to stay as long as I want, but I don't.
I guess I just call it consideration to both the people that are waiting and to the restaurant.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I was a quintuple winner this morning at the grocery store!

• The woman in front of me tried multiple attempts at a phone number to activate her shopper's card. Clerk finally resorted to asking her. Whereupon the same thing happened in verbal/aural form.
  • Then she had many paper coupons she pulled out (slowly) from her purse that was the size of some Canadian provinces and proceeded to argue about several of them.
  • Then she wanted to pay part of the bill with cash, carefully and slowly counted out.
  • Then she asked to pay part of the remaining bill with a check for $5.59.
  • Then she counted out coins to pay the final $.87

I should learn never, ever to get in a grocery line behind someone with multiple cans of cat food....
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I was a quintuple winner this morning at the grocery store!

• The woman in front of me tried multiple attempts at a phone number to activate her shopper's card. Clerk finally resorted to asking her. Whereupon the same thing happened in verbal/aural form.
  • Then she had many paper coupons she pulled out (slowly) from her purse that was the size of some Canadian provinces and proceeded to argue about several of them.
  • Then she wanted to pay part of the bill with cash, carefully and slowly counted out.
  • Then she asked to pay part of the remaining bill with a check for $5.59.
  • Then she counted out coins to pay the final $.87

I should learn never, ever to get in a grocery line behind someone with multiple cans of cat food....
Check, coins AND multiple cans of catfood? That's a new grocery checkout trifecta right there!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:08 pm

Hey! I have a cat and buy multiple (single serving) cans at a time. I'm quick as can be at checkouts.

However, the lady in front of me at Target the other day was a nightmare. It was right after X-mas, so all the seasonal stuff was 50% off the marked price. She had a full cart of these items including ornaments, greeting cards, house decorations, and many rolls of wrapping paper. She asked the cashier the price of every single item and then would hem and haw about whether she would get it before telling the cashier to go ahead and ring it up or not (mostly not, by the end, there was a big pile of discarded stuff). I guess she doesn't know about the many self- service price checkers in various prominent locations throughout the store. And I guess she was also incapable of dividing the marked price by 2.

To top things off, she also had one of those accordian-style coupon organizers and attempted to use expired ones on some of her non-seasonal purchases. Argh. Flames, flames on the side of my face.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Another person who buys a whole bunch of single cans of Fancy Feast here. I've had the cashier thank me for sorting them to make them quicker for him to ring up- stacks of four or five cans in the same flavor seem to work well.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by limeyx
Then after they take forever to order and it's time to pay, they get that deer-in-headlights look and then finally start rummaging around their abyss of a purse/wallet/backpack for something to pay with ...people, have your money ready if there's a line behind you...duh!
I'm amazed at the number of people who are obviously taken by complete surprise by the fact that they'll have to pay.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Oh gosh, that reminds me of my mother, who has this utter hatred of pennies, and will gladly spend five minutes digging through her purse for a change combination that will let her get rid of pennies instead of getting them back.
Invite her to visit Canada where we got rid of the little pesty things.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Campers. I hate campers. Got stuck behind one just this morning in Dunkin Donuts.

What's a camper? A woman who places her purse on the counter when making a purchase, unpacks half the contents to pay for her order, then camps out while she meticulously puts each item back, puts her change in one spot, her reciept in another spot, and carefully zips up each compartment.
Once she has her stuff and has paid, why don't you place your order? You might have to speak up a bit to be heard, that's all.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by cblaisd

[LIST][*]The woman in front of me tried multiple attempts at a phone number to activate her shopper's card. Clerk finally resorted to asking her. Whereupon the same thing happened in verbal/aural form.
I'll admit it: I've been guilty of this twice. I always forget whether the card is under my wife's cell number or if it's another number we use. And it doesn't help I keep all those key chain cards on a separate key chain (I do this because I have way too much of them to keep on my keys).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.