Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jbdk
Well.. when you get 12 peolpe wanting 12 different pizzas.. it gets old quick.

One person wants pepperoni and sausage, another wants mushrooms and bell peppers on thick crust. Another wants jalapeņos and extra cheese, etc, etc, etc...

I can get 4 large pepperoni pizza for $30 (tax and tip brings it to about $42) from a pizza place next to us that gives us a deal. That is about $3.50 a person and four slices a person. Going the other route, it costs over $50 and there is pizza left over because only ONE person liked the jalapeņo and extra cheese.

PLUS.. the office (company paid for it). Do not complain about getting something for free!
If only one person wants something, you don't get it. If 3 people can agree on a specific type of pizza, why not get it for them?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by steve4031
I'm standing in line at Walgreens holding a case of bottles water. Order of lady in front of me is rung up.

Her: oh!! Let me fInd my check book.

Me: Sh*^#t!!

Her: stops looking for checkbook and slowly turns around. "I didn't do this on purpose."

Me: that doesn't change the fact that you are unconvincing me."

Her: mutters about my rudeness. And discovers she can't find Check book.

Me: oh Sh+^%^^t!!!!

Her: looks for credit card and swipes it. Announces to me proudly: I used my credit card.

Me: welcome to the 21st century.

She was pissed when she left. Now both of us had high blood pressure.
I'd have said, "Welcome to the 20th Century."
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by sethb
If only one person wants something, you don't get it. If 3 people can agree on a specific type of pizza, why not get it for them?
It depends on how much time you have to wrangle together the order. Do you have time to ask each person their wants, figure out how to combine that into some reasonably small number of pies, and then go back to people whose first and second choices you can't satisfy to ask them, "Is ___ okay with you?"

Note, I've seen this process go completely nonlinear with as few as four people when they have divergent preferences, even when they're all standing (or sitting) next to one another. Doing it in an office setting for a large delivery meal would be nightmarish. I would simply order a few common types of pizzas and be done with it.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Grocery shopping today, we selected a check-out lane, and the person who was checking out then was writing a check. The cashier asks, "Has it been a while since you've written a check here?" That started the process of asking for and fishing ID out of a wallet, buried in a purse, asking for a phone number, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

I hate to hear "Ok, I hope I get this right.." followed by pulling out a piece of paper. This means that one sorry sucker is making a run from the office for 8 more people, and each have specific orders. It's going to take awhile.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

"Well hello again Dr Diarrhea! We've got some stuff on the menu tonight I know you're really gonna like. Let me show you to your table..."
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:24 pm

"I'd like a Crispy Chicken Wrap, and fries with no salt. My three-year-old would also like to order." Car pulls forward, back window goes down... Little tiny voice, with little head sticking out the window, "I'd like a happy meal." You can guess the questions that ensued, along with how long it took for the little girl to order, and how long it took for their order to be ready.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kipper
"I'd like a Crispy Chicken Wrap, and fries with no salt. My three-year-old would also like to order." Car pulls forward, back window goes down... Little tiny voice, with little head sticking out the window, "I'd like a happy meal." You can guess the questions that ensued, along with how long it took for the little girl to order, and how long it took for their order to be ready.
Are three-year olds really that capable.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Are three-year olds really that capable.
The mother apparently thought the little girl could order. Those of us behind her in line thought she couldn't.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
At Starbucks, "I would like to split my order into 8 transactions".
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Somewhere there's a happy medium between this mother's "tell the nice lady what you want to eat" and my father's "you're getting a hamburger, no fries and splitting a drink with your sister and I don't want any arguments out of you".

The older I get, the less patience I seem to have. In the last year, I've paid or finished paying for several people ahead of me in line rather than wait while they fumble through their purses looking for their money/exact change.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Grocery shopping today, we selected a check-out lane, and the person who was checking out then was writing a check. The cashier asks, "Has it been a while since you've written a check here?" That started the process of asking for and fishing ID out of a wallet, buried in a purse, asking for a phone number, etc.
Not sure why grocery stores can't process checks like Costco does. You give them a blank check, the cashier checks the ID and puts it in the register, and it prints out all of the necessary details. Cashier hands the check back to the customer; if the customer agrees with the amount, the customer signs the check and hands it back to the cashier.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Somewhere there's a happy medium between this mother's "tell the nice lady what you want to eat" and my father's "you're getting a hamburger, no fries and splitting a drink with your sister and I don't want any arguments out of you".

The older I get, the less patience I seem to have. In the last year, I've paid or finished paying for several people ahead of me in line rather than wait while they fumble through their purses looking for their money/exact change.
LOL! I was usually told I was getting a cheeseburger happy meal. I wasn't given a choice.

I generally don't pay for people ahead of me, although if someone is behind me and has a very small order, I'll sometimes pay for that.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Not sure why grocery stores can't process checks like Costco does. You give them a blank check, the cashier checks the ID and puts it in the register, and it prints out all of the necessary details. Cashier hands the check back to the customer; if the customer agrees with the amount, the customer signs the check and hands it back to the cashier.
I don't know, but this was very frustrating.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I had a doctor's appointment at lunchtime today. I pulled into a drive through to grab something fast so I could get back to work quickly - there were only 2 people ahead of me. The guy in front of me in line had a messed up order earlier and instead of parking and going inside to discuss it decided to take care of it in the drive through. I got to hear the discussion through the speaker where you order. Then again for another few minutes at window #1, and again for another 5 minutes at window #2.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
A local 24 hour McD on a busy commute route requires drive-thru customers to come inside if they have more than 2 special orders or if they are buying 20 or more cheeseburgers on the bargain special days (59 cent special).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.