Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:16 pm

I'm new here and enjoying this thread! I can so relate to much of what has already been said. Especially those frantically digging through their purse for a checkbook at the cash register, only after standing in the line for 20 minutes!

I also hate when you drive in an EZ Pass car lane, and the car in front of you doesn't have an EZ Pass. Duh, read the signs, you moron, and drive through the Cash lane instead!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
You realize in most cases it is faster to just walk in, order, and leave? I do that everytime and beat the car ahead of me, everytime. Drive thrus take forever. Try that next time. Especially if you're on lunch break or have time constraints.
I used to skip the drive through and go inside all the time on my way home when I was a grad student in Buffalo. I like to go inside and take my time to study the menu and feel what kind of greasy mood I'm in. When I moved to Nashville, I stopped going inside because I was asked for my number while being given my fries on more than one occasion.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
...at Starbucks...
"Let's see, that's four drinks and four pastries. That will be $XX"

"Could you please split this into eight separate transactions?"

Hoping to hear: "Of course not."

Heard: "Sure."

Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
"Let's see, that's four drinks and four pastries. That will be $XX"

"Could you please split this into eight separate transactions?"

Hoping to hear: "Of course not."

Heard: "Sure."

I'd guess that's due to the issue of how they award stars in their rewards program. Rather than award them based on items purchased, amount purchased, or something similar, they award them based only on number of transactions. So, if you want more than one star, when you're purchasing eight items, you need to complete eight transactions.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by jbdk
When I ordered for the office, I refused special orders. You can pick it off.

I used to order pizza on Fridays and the whole office would want a different pizza. I made it simple. Pepperoni only. Someone made the remark that they could not eat pepperoni because of something (do not remember why). I told them they could either pick it off or grab a snickers bar from the vending machine.
I understand wanting to keep it simple, but pepperoni only is not a good choice for all or nothing pizza. It's greasy meat and the grease permeates the cheese (bad for people trying to keep a watch on calories/you can't really pick it off*). It's meat (alienates the vegetarians in the group). It's made of pork and beef (alienates any Jews, Hindus, or Muslims in the group). You could get in trouble for unintentional discrimination if you absolutely refuse to not order pepperoni.

*Although you can wring it out.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Serpent
Long time lurker - first time poster (this thread did it haha)

"Can i get a bwwaauuuhhhh" - guy threw up all over the greasy fast food joint counter....
been there , done that, though not at the counter but at my table. I've never been there since even though this happened over 10 years ago and it has changed hands.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
I'd guess that's due to the issue of how they award stars in their rewards program. Rather than award them based on items purchased, amount purchased, or something similar, they award them based only on number of transactions. So, if you want more than one star, when you're purchasing eight items, you need to complete eight transactions.
Completely agree with you, and hope they re-think this.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:18 pm

At the drive through of a well known burger chain, in the UK, along with several other cars was forced to wait over 10 minutes while the operative had what was very obviously a long social chat with the driver of a van, who I was later advised was an old friend of the operative.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:08 pm

"Mommy, I don't feel good."

When you hear that, just back away.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Good morning!

There are far too many threads on FT where folks can contentiously and un-civilly slam each other about attitudes towards children. This thread will not be one of them and posts have been deleted that headed off in that direction. Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by steve4031
I'm standing in line at Walgreens holding a case of bottles water. Order of lady in front of me is rung up.

Her: oh!! Let me fInd my check book.

Me: Sh*^#t!!

Her: stops looking for checkbook and slowly turns around. "I didn't do this on purpose."

Me: that doesn't change the fact that you are unconvincing me."

Her: mutters about my rudeness. And discovers she can't find Check book.

Me: oh Sh+^%^^t!!!!

Her: looks for credit card and swipes it. Announces to me proudly: I used my credit card.

Me: welcome to the 21st century.

She was pissed when she left. Now both of us had high blood pressure.
This is great! I don't think I would have been as aggressive with her, but definitely just as pissed off. The 90's called on their car phone, they want their form of payment back!

The only time I could see someone using a check would be if you are really old (like 60-70+). Any other time a credit card would be better. If you can't get one, use cash (checks have all of your bank info on it, I would prefer to keep that away from the general public!).
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tangey
your in the queue (line) at the petrol (gas) station. the guy that was filling up in front of you comes back from having paid for his fuel, gets in the car, and just sits there, doing whatever, chatting to his friend in the car, checking his receipt, adjusting the radio, eating a snack bar...."HEY THERE'S A DAMN CAR BEHIND YOU "
I'm now having flashbacks to gas shortage days because of hurricanes. There comes a point where only a handful of stations will have gas of any grade, those open develop the kind of lines for gas last seen in the 1970s form, and the social contract says that you absolutely must move your car out of the way as soon as you've filled up- either you pay at the pump, or you move your car away from the pump and park it to the side before going inside to pay.

And then there's always some idiot who violates the social contract, leaves his/her car at the pump, and spends a GOOD FIVE MINUTES inside the convenience store getting a slurpee and order of nachos whle there are 50+ cars lined up behind him wanting his space at the pump.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
"I just have a quick question..."
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PDPhoto
At the drive through of a well known burger chain, in the UK, along with several other cars was forced to wait over 10 minutes while the operative had what was very obviously a long social chat with the driver of a van, who I was later advised was an old friend of the operative.
I waited at a fast-food drive-thru while the driver in front of me finished his drink and asked the clerk (whom he'd been chatting with) for a refill.

I had words for the manager of that establishment.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
"what do you mean declined? Run it again!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.