Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MissJ
I'm MissJennB on Untappd.

The Rogue Voodoo series ales make no sense to me
You have an Untappd invite from me.
With the Voodoo series, it seems like everyone I've talked to about them either loves them or just completely hates them. I've heard a lot of "omg straight down the drain" type comments. I've tried two of them, I believe, and was just sort of meh. Not a lot of taste (to me) and not worth the effort. We have so many amazing beers in Portland so I'm a bit hard to impress at times.

I actually don't like really sweet beers. Take Southern Tier's Creme Brulee, I think it smells fantastic, but is too sweet to drink. However, I love beer and dessert. I've had that combo as a meal many times. Give me a piece of good cake and something bourbon-y and I'm a happy camper.

Tried a few South Carolina beers this weekend. I always try to grab the locals when I am back home. Also grabbed the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. Liked it, but like the Terrapin Liquid Bliss more.
I've not tried Southern Tier's Creme Brulee. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

I know quite a few people who love it. I really like quite a few of ST's beers though.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:20 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Not in my fridge, but I tried Dark Lord for the first time recently as part of beer week. I had 2012 Dark Lord and 2013 Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Went out tonight for the Tuesday promo - 7 beers for $6. Started with Highland Thunderstruck porter, followed by Berghoff red ale, Abita Mardi Gras bock, Fathead Headhunter IPA, Swamphead Darkwater black IPA, Rogue dead guy and finished with bartender Mike's home brew. Oh, started with a pint of Harp since the promo didn't start for another half hour. Hands down winner was the Headhunter, a hoppy explosion - grapefruitier than a glass of ruby red grapefruit juice. I'm beered out and ready for bed.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Went out tonight for the Tuesday promo - 7 beers for $6. Started with Highland Thunderstruck porter, followed by Berghoff red ale, Abita Mardi Gras bock, Fathead Headhunter IPA, Swamphead Darkwater black IPA, Rogue dead guy and finished with bartender Mike's home brew. Oh, started with a pint of Harp since the promo didn't start for another half hour. Hands down winner was the Headhunter, a hoppy explosion - grapefruitier than a glass of ruby red grapefruit juice. I'm beered out and ready for bed.
Where was this, and why wasn't I invited?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Where was this, and why wasn't I invited?
To be fair, kipper, they were half beers and I only found out about it yesterday afternoon. Still, 7 half beers for $6 is an outstanding bargain.

Funny story - I posted a critical review of Miller's Ale House on Tripadvisor. Their marketing manager invited me to email with my specific complaints. I complained about their beer selection (among other things) and added a link to Fishale, my local craft brew bar to tell him that this was what I had been hoping for when I stepped into their establishment. In grabbing the link, I saw the promo. We usually go there Saturday afternoon for a few beers after a hike. This has apparently been going on for quite a while and I just found out about it myself. Tuesday night used to be a gym night.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:54 pm

To be fair, kipper, they were half beers and I only found out about it yesterday afternoon. Still, 7 half beers for $6 is an outstanding bargain.

Funny story - I posted a critical review of Miller's Ale House on Tripadvisor. Their marketing manager invited me to email with my specific complaints. I complained about their beer selection (among other things) and added a link to Fishale, my local craft brew bar to tell him that this was what I had been hoping for when I stepped into their establishment. In grabbing the link, I saw the promo. We usually go there Saturday afternoon for a few beers after a hike. This has apparently been going on for quite a while and I just found out about it myself. Tuesday night used to be a gym night.
Let's see, 7 half beers is 3.5 full beers. That is an outstanding bargain!

LOL, did you hear from Miller's Ale House addressing your specific concerns?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's see, 7 half beers is 3.5 full beers. That is an outstanding bargain!

LOL, did you hear from Miller's Ale House addressing your specific concerns?
I'd be shocked if I did. The shame of it all is there was a place called "World of Beers" a block away. I filed that in the "where to go next time I'm in JAX" folder.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:41 am

I'd be shocked if I did. The shame of it all is there was a place called "World of Beers" a block away. I filed that in the "where to go next time I'm in JAX" folder.
There are a few Miller's Ale House locations in PA, but we've never been to one. It sounds like our experience at Steak & Ale, where they had a decent wine list, and a very small beer list.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:43 pm

Steak & Ale still exists?

No interesting beers for me this week, I have the flu. Heading down to SF next weekend though and planning to visit a few breweries.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a few Miller's Ale House locations in PA, but we've never been to one. It sounds like our experience at Steak & Ale, where they had a decent wine list, and a very small beer list.
Besides the beer selection, I had 2 other issues. The steamed clams were overseasoned with Old Bay seasoning. When I eat a clam, I want to taste clam. The mahi mahi I ordered blackened was merely grilled when it arrived. I opted to eat it anyway. Neither of these is a deal killer, just an annoyance. It was really the beer selection that threw me off. Oh, and an 18 year old server. There should be a rule that you have to be old enough to drink to serve beer. Otherwise, how can you recommend a beer for me? This server told me she'd never tasted a beer in her life.

I haven't been in a Steak and Ale in 25 years. I recall that I liked the food but don't remember the beer selection being anything special. Today, it should be better so shame on them that it's not.

I had no idea Miller's was a chain until I went online afterwards.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:22 pm

No interesting beers for me this week, I have the flu. Heading down to SF next weekend though and planning to visit a few breweries.
I don't know if they still exist. We went to one 10 years ago or some such.

Hope you feel better!
Besides the beer selection, I had 2 other issues. The steamed clams were overseasoned with Old Bay seasoning. When I eat a clam, I want to taste clam. The mahi mahi I ordered blackened was merely grilled when it arrived. I opted to eat it anyway. Neither of these is a deal killer, just an annoyance. It was really the beer selection that threw me off. Oh, and an 18 year old server. There should be a rule that you have to be old enough to drink to serve beer. Otherwise, how can you recommend a beer for me? This server told me she'd never tasted a beer in her life.

I haven't been in a Steak and Ale in 25 years. I recall that I liked the food but don't remember the beer selection being anything special. Today, it should be better so shame on them that it's not.

I had no idea Miller's was a chain until I went online afterwards.
You depend on the servers to recommend a beer?

We went to Steak & Ale 10 years ago or so for Valentine's Day. It was decent, but IIRC, their best beer was Sam Adams Boston Lager. I expect more for a place with ale in the name.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:41 pm

Mikkeller has opened their sole US outpost right by the Powell BART stop. It's usually crowded with venture capital douchenozzles, but the beer makes it tolerable. Dancing Bear Brewery, right down the street, isn't worth a visit.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Nothing. Emptied it out for Lent.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Nothing. Emptied it out for Lent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.