Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by uk1
I know I'm slow .... but i think I see a bit of a pattern emerging on all of the recent threads on the forum today ....

How odd.

For me, the pattern is that my beer darkens as the temperature drops: stouts and porters are my favorites in the wintertime. I'm much more likely to crack open an IPA or wheat beer in the warmer weather (that's 9 months of the year around here). I'd like March to come soon, but since it won't I'm quite enjoying life on the dark side.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:39 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BamaVol
For me, the pattern is that my beer darkens as the temperature drops: stouts and porters are my favorites in the wintertime. I'm much more likely to crack open an IPA or wheat beer in the warmer weather (that's 9 months of the year around here). I'd like March to come soon, but since it won't I'm quite enjoying life on the dark side.
I am afraid still really in love with Paulaner. However ..... having just needing to clear out the garage for a new central heating boiler ... i have discovered all the old brewery stuff out there including 6 conditioning casks. So on my return from our next trip I plan some new beers and a cider! And the downstairs loo is a constant 20 degrees .... perfect for fermenting.

I am really looking forward to it.

Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Visited my local beer seller today. Picked up 12 packs of both Miller Lite and Coors Lite for the unwashed masses (just a joke aimed at my non-craft beer-loving (or liking) friends). Grabbed a 4-pack of Founders Breakfast Stout, a sixer each of Mother Earth Park Day Pilsner, Lagunitas Pale Ale, Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale, and Firestone Union Jack IPA, as well as a pint pack (10) of Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Island Lager, and one 22 oz bottle of Stone Smoked Porter Vanilla Bean. A nice haul that should keep me well-stocked for a while.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The Brooklyn Brewery's Dry Irish Stout is still on sale for $9 for a 6 pack at my local beer store. Don't mind if I do.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:54 pm

I looooooove winter, but only for the beer.

I generally drink Stouts and Porters all year round with a sprinkling of ciders and sours when I want something light. This time of year, I can get so many tasty stouts of all flavors, barrel aged tasty goodness.

My beer cabinet is always pretty well stocked. I recently picked up some limited edition goodies - Deschutes Abyss, Pelican Mother of all Storms (an amazing barleywine), a couple of Terrapin's limited edition beers - MooHooChiato and the French Toast Wake n Bake. I can't wait for the occasion to get into some of these.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJ
I looooooove winter, but only for the beer.

I generally drink Stouts and Porters all year round with a sprinkling of ciders and sours when I want something light. This time of year, I can get so many tasty stouts of all flavors, barrel aged tasty goodness.

My beer cabinet is always pretty well stocked. I recently picked up some limited edition goodies - Deschutes Abyss, Pelican Mother of all Storms (an amazing barleywine), a couple of Terrapin's limited edition beers - MooHooChiato and the French Toast Wake n Bake. I can't wait for the occasion to get into some of these.
Try to find Barrel-Aged Hi-Fi Rye. Was #1 American barleywine when available on distribution a few years ago.

It will change your life. The brewmaster responsible for it is starting a brewery/pub that should be open in a few weeks. I plan to live there.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a walk on the beach, I stopped at Dave & Busters to kill a gift card with pints of Fat Tire. That done, I stopped at ABC (not affiliated with the state of Florida) and picked up a 4 pack of Stiegl to bring back memories of a wonderful trip to Vienna and a six pack of Einstock Icelandic Toasted Porter because the last Booze Traveler show I watched on the Travel Channel was from Iceland.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:05 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
After a walk on the beach, I stopped at Dave & Busters to kill a gift card with pints of Fat Tire. That done, I stopped at ABC (not affiliated with the state of Florida) and picked up a 4 pack of Stiegl to bring back memories of a wonderful trip to Vienna and a six pack of Einstock Icelandic Toasted Porter because the last Booze Traveler show I watched on the Travel Channel was from Iceland.
Mmm, Fat Tire.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:44 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA
St. George Brewing Company English IPA
St. George Brewing Company Golden Ale
Baltika #3
Baltika #4 (Dark Lager)
Baltika #5 (Golden Lager)
Baltika #6 (Porter)
Baltika #7 (Export Lager)
Baltika #9 (Extra Lager)
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:47 pm

To try something different bought some Kentucky Kölsch and it's not bad.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
I am from LEX. Take their tour if you are ever in the area. Fun and convenient to downtown.

I think their best regular beer is the bourbon-barrel-aged stout. Their BB-aged pumpkin was pretty good last fall.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
I have, at this point, tried a few different Kolsch style beers. I didn't care for them as they were sour tasting. Is that a key flavor element of kolsch or do I need to broaden my search? As I recall they were all tried on AVL brewery tours.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Try to find Barrel-Aged Hi-Fi Rye. Was #1 American barleywine when available on distribution a few years ago.

It will change your life. The brewmaster responsible for it is starting a brewery/pub that should be open in a few weeks. I plan to live there.

That one looks pretty hard to find, but if I ever come across it I'll be sure to try.

I've had quite a few of the top Barleyines on BA right now, Mother of All Storms being one of them. That and the Bourbon County Barleywine are some of the most overall delicious beers I've ever tasted.

Anyone here ever done any craft beer tourism in Berlin, Dublin or Edinburgh? I'll be in all this year and need to find some good spots. I've sampled some good stuff in London and found a surprising scene in Tokyo so I'm ready to see what some other cities have to offer.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I am from LEX. Take their tour if you are ever in the area. Fun and convenient to downtown.
Thanks and I could see myself joining a tour.

I have, at this point, tried a few different Kolsch style beers. I didn't care for them as they were sour tasting. Is that a key flavor element of kolsch or do I need to broaden my search?
Not to me. I came to Kölsch by way of it's cousin the unfiltered and cloudier German wheat beers so both are very similar and like that their aren't too hoppy or as sharp as IPA's.

Tonight is my latest default, Smithwick's. ^
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:01 pm

I have, at this point, tried a few different Kolsch style beers. I didn't care for them as they were sour tasting. Is that a key flavor element of kolsch or do I need to broaden my search? As I recall they were all tried on AVL brewery tours.
Try an archetype like Reissdorf Koelsch, widely available in the US, to establish a baseline before trying American imitations/impressions/innovations/abominations (cherry wheat beers, I'm looking at you!).

I can't say either of us is a fan of Koelsch, bottled or frisch vom Fass.

Last edited by dolcevita; Jan 20, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.