Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by brendog
I, obviously, took the coolest, but I'm sure there are many others left.

My favourite part of Untappd is vetting new beers at the bottle shop or at a bar, prior to forking over money for them. It also helps to avoid having the same beer more than once.
I've used it for that too. While Mr. Kipper was out of town, I was near a beer bar with over 100 beers on tap. It was rainy and foggy, and I didn't want to sit there and drink, but didn't want to miss out on trying something different. I narrowed down my options, and then used Untappd to decide which of those I wanted, based on rankings.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
If not for the case of Sierra Nevada Torpedo I picked up a few weeks ago, we might have found ourselves out of beer during a snowstorm.

Our supplies of New Belgium Portage, Slow Ride, and Ranger are diminishing quickly.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by onobond
Tried the first of a sixpack Lagunitas Brown Shugga yesterday, really yummy.

Despite having 9.9% a.b.v. it doesn't taste that strong
I found it on the menu at a local bar but hesitated to order since it was listed as a "barley wine".
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:35 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Nov 11, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Some Dos Equis that were given to me. I'm wrapping up a 12 hour work day so they're about to be very appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA
Three bottles left from a six-pack of Guinness draught. One and a half went into a large pot of Guinness beef stew I made yesterday to help us face the cold weather; one and a half went to the chef, meat and veg chopper, and dishwasher---me.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Just tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Lemon Chiffon Crueller Ale. Possibly the strangest beer I've ever tasted although strangely manages to taste roughly as advertised. Listed ingredients include lemon juice, vanilla extract, and marshmallows.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by fly_yag
Just tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Lemon Chiffon Crueller Ale. Possibly the strangest beer I've ever tasted although strangely manages to taste roughly as advertised. Listed ingredients include lemon juice, vanilla extract, and marshmallows.
i would have to sample that one before buying a full pint.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by fly_yag
That's a fru-fru drink not an ale.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:53 pm

I'm MissJennB on Untappd.

The Rogue Voodoo series ales make no sense to me
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cubbie
Three bottles left from a six-pack of Guinness draught. One and a half went into a large pot of Guinness beef stew I made yesterday to help us face the cold weather; one and a half went to the chef, meat and veg chopper, and dishwasher---me.
What a coincidence. I made a stout beef stew yesterday. Except it was two bottles of Guinness split between the stew and myself.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
That's a fru-fru drink not an ale.
I'm all for brewers expanding the horizons of beer making. Sometimes, wonderful things happen. Other times, well, we end up with a beer that confuses the palate and frankly tastes like crap. I actually didn't mind the latest Rogue/Voodoo collaboration, but found it too sweet.

Originally Posted by MissJ
I'm MissJennB on Untappd.

The Rogue Voodoo series ales make no sense to me
I see the Rogue/Voodoo series in the same light as I see some of the Ancient Ales from Dogfish Head and the Lips of Faith series from New Belgium. Both series are hit or miss, but I do appreciate the creativity and the brewers' devotion to expanding their craft. Somehow, I keep dropping $10-$15 every time a new bomber comes out.

You have an invite in your Untappd inbox, btw...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:20 pm

With the Voodoo series, it seems like everyone I've talked to about them either loves them or just completely hates them. I've heard a lot of "omg straight down the drain" type comments. I've tried two of them, I believe, and was just sort of meh. Not a lot of taste (to me) and not worth the effort. We have so many amazing beers in Portland so I'm a bit hard to impress at times.

I actually don't like really sweet beers. Take Southern Tier's Creme Brulee, I think it smells fantastic, but is too sweet to drink. However, I love beer and dessert. I've had that combo as a meal many times. Give me a piece of good cake and something bourbon-y and I'm a happy camper.

Tried a few South Carolina beers this weekend. I always try to grab the locals when I am back home. Also grabbed the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. Liked it, but like the Terrapin Liquid Bliss more.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ

Tried a few South Carolina beers this weekend. I always try to grab the locals when I am back home. Also grabbed the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. Liked it, but like the Terrapin Liquid Bliss more.
Interestingly, i am drinking the last of my sixer of Liquid Bliss right now. If you ever get up to Charlotte, NoDa Brewing has a chocolate/peanut butter porter that blows Terrapin and DuClaw out of the water. I'm not sure if it's available in bottles, although I have seen it on tap at Duckworth's and a couple of other CLT bars.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:50 pm

I had their Coco Loco over the weekend. I didn't see anything peanut butter-y of theirs when I stopped at the Charlotte Total Wine last week. I'll keep an eye out though. I get my Taco Mac queso fix in Charlotte any time I'm in the Carolinas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.