Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by aau
If you have tried the St. Bernardus Pater 6, it's supposedly the same basic recipe.
We've tried the 4 but not the 6. Is it remarkably different or perhaps comparable to another, easier to find, blonde?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thelark
Just got a case of this year's bourbon county stout.
How'd you manage that? Wanna trade for some Westy?

There was an article recently about beer hounds in a worldwide trading club buying up all the Goose island in Chicagoland by pre-arranging with beer store managers to take everything at 20% over retail.

I managed to get two 4-packs and a single of the regular only.

GI decided to distribute on Black Friday to Whole Foods and CVS for God's sake. Totally hosing the little store owners.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dolcevita
We've tried the 4 but not the 6. Is it remarkably different or perhaps comparable to another, easier to find, blonde?
St. Bernardus brewery is a lot of fun to visit. In the same general area as Westvleteren and Struisse. Take the "Belbus" to/from Poperinge station.

There is a great B&B next door, quite reasonable, that lets you, as part of your stay, drink UNLIMITED St. Bernardus from the fridge in the lounge. Some terrific restaurants nearby as well. A highlight of our trip almost 2 years back.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I just picked up a 6pk of 21st Amendment Fire Side Chat. Its a tasty spiced ale. I really enjoy their Brew Free or Die IPA as well.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:06 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by dolcevita
It's been a while since I had the 6. Now that I think about it, the Pater 6 was a dark ale, more of a Dubbel style. I've never had the 4 (or even seen it), but if it's a blonde or pale ale then that's probably closest to the Westy Blonde. Otherwise look for La Trappe Blonde, Maredsous 6, o even the new Spencer Trappist Ale.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
St. Bernardus brewery is a lot of fun to visit. In the same general area as Westvleteren and Struisse. Take the "Belbus" to/from Poperinge station.

There is a great B&B next door, quite reasonable, that lets you, as part of your stay, drink UNLIMITED St. Bernardus from the fridge in the lounge. Some terrific restaurants nearby as well. A highlight of our trip almost 2 years back.
I met an Oklahoman beer enthusiast at Herman Belgian beer bar in Berlin last month, who stayed at this B&B and was completely blown away by the experience.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by teese35
I just picked up a 6pk of 21st Amendment Fire Side Chat. Its a tasty spiced ale. I really enjoy their Brew Free or Die IPA as well.
I wasn't impressed with their Brew Free or Die. It may have been a bad batch, but to me, it lacked flavor.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Brooklyn Brewery's Dry Irish Stout
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
No new beer in the fridge but Mrs BamaVol suggested we head over to Fishale after the farmers market yesterday. I washed down my plate of mahi sliders with on-tap Goose Island bourbon county stout. Very enjoyable but I don't see why I had to pay $8 for such a small serving - looked to be an 8 ounce glass.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:06 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
No new beer in the fridge but Mrs BamaVol suggested we head over to Fishale after the farmers market yesterday. I washed down my plate of mahi sliders with on-tap Goose Island bourbon county stout. Very enjoyable but I don't see why I had to pay $8 for such a small serving - looked to be an 8 ounce glass.
It's a hot commodity.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Bargain.

It's $7+ a bottle in the liquor store and it sells out instantly. One of the great beers of its type in the world.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Bargain.

It's $7+ a bottle in the liquor store and it sells out instantly. One of the great beers of its type in the world.
Agreed.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Smithwick's!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:03 pm

8wired iStout
Mikkeller Black Hole
Kaiju! Robohop
Kaiju! Where Strides The Behemoth
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 6/8/10
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:46 am
uk1
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by uk1; Jan 12, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ya think?!?
Originally Posted by uk1
I know I'm slow ....
No comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.