Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:21 am

I will always have a nice pack of Stella in my fridge no matter what.

Always nice after a long day.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
I had their root beer for the first time last week, it's pretty good
It doesn't have the same place in my heart and life that beer does, but I've been known to order a mixed case of craft root beers on-line to try something different. There was a chain of restaurants called Hops that brewed a root beer in house that I thought was the best I'd ever tasted. I think Abita is close to that.

Footnote: I used to have lunch at Hops with my boss, otherwise I'd have been ordering beer.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: hoarding miles
I have a Stone Enjoy By 12-26-2014 waiting for me when I get home.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It doesn't have the same place in my heart and life that beer does, but I've been known to order a mixed case of craft root beers on-line to try something different.
Hey that's fun. If you can find some, Saranac Root Beer was always my favorite. A treat every year when we'd go to Cooperstown.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:33 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
I have nothing in the fridge right now... well i think my dad bought some stouts

random question- does anyone have any suggestions for a beer that some one who likes fruity flavors could drink? trying to get the GF to try it once but i feel that will be better for her.

she likes wine, specifically whites... :P
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I have nothing in the fridge right now... well i think my dad bought some stouts

random question- does anyone have any suggestions for a beer that some one who likes fruity flavors could drink? trying to get the GF to try it once but i feel that will be better for her.

Why not try a Framboise?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Why not try a Framboise?
Any fruited lambic would be a good place to start. Maybe a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat if she doesn't want to go sweet.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Any fruited lambic would be a good place to start. Maybe a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat if she doesn't want to go sweet.
Fruited lambic, yes, good call. I would avoid the fake sugared ones like Lindemans and get something authentic like Cantillon. That stuff will change your life. Then you'll start going to BRU to try the really good stuff.

I was pouring Belgians once at a festival and couples would come up to the table. The girlfriend/wife would often say, "Nothing for me; I don't like beer." One sip of a good Belgian fruit beer would generally convince her to have one. Then by the end of the evening, she'd come up and say in a slurred voice, "I never realized it, but I do like beer!"

Sam Adams, no, IMO. Poor imitation. Some kind of chemical for the flavor.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:00 pm

Susquehanna Brewing Company HopFive IPA
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a shandy? Another that comes to mind is Abita Purple Haze. Sweetwater Blue if you're in the Southeastern US or can get someone to ship you some.

Brewery websites indicate that Abita is available to you, Sweetwater is not.

Last edited by BamaVol; Dec 15, 2014 at 9:14 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Not my fridge, but the ice bucket from earlier today: Red Stripe!

-J.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my fridge until last night was a recapped Miller High Life bottle containing BamaVol Jr#3's latest homebrew with an uncap date of 12/11. I poured it into a Sam Adams glass. Medium gold in color, short head, slight lacing, hoppy and bitter as all get-out. I savored it between bites of a homemade salami-pastrami sub. He has aspirations to go work for one of the Asheville craft breweries and I believe he may have the talent and passion to do alright there. Well done, son.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:48 am

In my fridge until last night was a recapped Miller High Life bottle containing BamaVol Jr#3's latest homebrew with an uncap date of 12/11. I poured it into a Sam Adams glass. Medium gold in color, short head, slight lacing, hoppy and bitter as all get-out. I savored it between bites of a homemade salami-pastrami sub. He has aspirations to go work for one of the Asheville craft breweries and I believe he may have the talent and passion to do alright there. Well done, son.
Mmm, yummy!!! (Both the food and the beer)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead

My wife is not a beer drinker, but she does like the Fat Head's Bumbleberry (brewed with blueberry and honey). Works out nice, because I love their Head Hunter IPA so a trip to the brewery is always a good move. Not sure if they are distributed to ORD, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Another possibility for people who prefer sweeter and fruitier fermented beverages: mead, which is essentially beer made from honey and then (I think) diluted.

Many meaderies are experimenting with fruit and other flavors like chocolate and mint. Wild Blossom in Chicago makes a fantastic cranberry mead IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.