Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Two new Diners Club USA MasterCards. Applications suspended mid November 2014.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eajusa
Applications suspended 11.13.2014 for a "couple weeks".

Harris Bank is now accepting applications for two new consumer Diners Club MasterCards. There is no new account bonus or annual fee waiver. This thread discusses the cards benefits and rewards. Please click HERE to discuss the application process.

Premier $95 annual fee, $35 additional cards, EMV, No foreign transaction fee, Primary CDW, Airport lounge access, $1 = 1 point on all spending.

Elite $300 annual fee, $150 additional cards, EMV, No foreign transaction fees, Primary CDW, Trip Cancellation / Interruption reimbursement, Airport lounge access, $1 = 3 points for grocery stores, supermarkets, drug stores, pharmacies and automobile fuel service stations when you pay at the pump, $1 = 1 point otherwise.

Diners Club Rewards airline and hotel transfer partners are discussed in THIS thread.

Many of the card travel benefits are listed in the Promotions section of the website.

A form to request cards for Authorized Users is HERE.
A form to setup Automatic Payments is HERE.

Differences between the legacy Professional cards and the new Consumer cards:
  • Card type. Professional = charge card; Consumer = credit card
  • Foreign transaction fees. Professional 3%; Consumer 0.
  • CDW vehicle value cap. Professional = $75,000 (Diners) or $100,000 (Carte Blanche); Consumer = $50,000
  • Other insurance. On cursory examination there appears to be differences in the carriers and terms of the other coverages. The Consumer coverages may be a standard package arranged by MasterCard, while the Professional coverages may be inherited from Citi. Someone would need to read carefully side-by-side to find the differences.

Mint.com and PersonalCapital.com does NOT currently work with this card however I have confirmed that they will add it once they receive at least 5 requests to do so. So, for those that have the card and use these sites please send a support ticket asking them to add "Diners Club International" at the URL: https://www.bmoharriscreditcards.com...sumer/Login.do . ^

Between the Consumer (personal), Professional (legacy), and Corporate Cards there are a variety of contacts for various needs:

Cardmember Customer Service
1-800-2-DINERS (1-800-234-6377)
Outside the US: 1-514-877-1577

Internet Help Desk
1-877-263-5018 (Mon-Sun, 24 hours a day)

Club Rewards
Customer Contact Center: 1-800-234-4034 (Mon-Sun, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. ET)

TTY Service for Hearing Impaired Customers

Professional and Consumer Cardmembers: 1-866-889-0889
Corporate Cardmembers (US and Canada): 1-866-859-2089
Corporate Cardmembers (Outside North America): 1-800-976-6037

Corporate Client Services: 1-800-964-9444 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET)

Corporate Sales Group: 1-800-999-9093 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET)

Travel Management Companies
For inquiries and lead referrals please email [email protected]
or call 1-800-999-9093.

Payment Address

Diners Club Professional
P.O. Box 6012
Carol Stream, IL 60197-6012

Diners Club Commercial / Corporate
P.O. Box 5732
Carol Stream, IL 60197-5732

Diners Club Consumer
P.O. Box 6012
Carol Stream, IL 60197-6012

Overnight Payment Address
BancTec Inc.
2100 A Corporate Drive
Addison, IL 60101

Wire transfer payment information

Bank Name: BMO Harris Bank N.A.
Account #: 1982143000
Account Name: Diners Wire Payments
Address: 111 W. Monroe
Chicago, IL 60603
ABA: 071000288
Swift code: HATRUS44
Payable to: Harris/Diners Club (include name/account#)
Cutoff time is 2pm CT

Insurance - Inquiries and Claims
•MasterRental Coverage (Primary Collision Damage Waiver Coverage)
•Purchase Assurance and Extended Warranty
•Common Carrier Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefits
•Hotel/motel Burglary Coverage
•Travel Assistance Services
•Travel Accident Insurance
•Flight Delay Coverage
•Baggage Delay Coverage
•Lost or Damaged Luggage Coverage
•Master Assist
(US): 1-800-MC-ASSIST (1-800-622-7747)
(Outside the US): 636-722-7111 (collect); or en Español: 1-800-633-4466

RoadAssist Roadside Services
1-877-764-3576
(Outside the US): 904-636-3647 (collect)

Collections
Professional: 1-888-551-4881 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET)
Corporate: 1-888-551-4667 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET)
Consumer: 1-888-551-4881 (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET)
Print Wikipost

Two new Diners Club USA MasterCards. Applications suspended mid November 2014.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by greglvnv
I think folks at BMO have a conservative approach when it comes to credit card usage and encourage little spending to limit exposure. The rest of the world uses credit cards for emergency purposes or when everything else fails.

DC cards have always been the domain of corporate accounts, so you're dealing with upper middle class or affluent customers. The personal cards are probably intended to capture personal spending from that same target audience, hence the 3x grocery promo.

If BMO really thinks there's fraud going on, they're absolutely stupid, since most of us who MS immediately pay off the bill....not something that would be done by those who are about to default on a debt. They're just grasping for straws now that they have lenders remorse and don't want to participate in the 3x deal anymore.

The $95 card is probably safe since there's no way to get outsized value out of it.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:29 pm

I honestly do think BMO thinks they have a fraud issue (as stupid as that is) and that is their main concern. While there has been passing mention of MS with a couple of CSRs that has been documented I believe the almost universal theme from folks who have talked to BMO has been some combination of underwriting risk and fraud. While I am guessing they were taking a loss on the 3% cards from MSers it was nothing like the beating Amex took on the 5% OBC (I suspect they are paying less than a penny a point). My guess is the reason the Elite cards have had vastly more closures is because that is where the big spenders both MS and not probably gravitated to. The letter also hints at this as their is nary a mention of awards but rather mention of systems in place to protect our institution as per Federal law which sounds much more like fraud concern to me (of course who knows if they truly mean what the say).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
...mention of systems in place to protect our institution as per Federal law which sounds much more like fraud concern to me ....
Buying instruments which can be converted to cash (e.g. prepaid debit cards) does represent a credit risk because the buyer may not choose to use the proceeds to pay the credit card bill. It does not matter if we think this is likely, it takes only a single high balance default to wipe out the profit generated by scores of other cardholders.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by mia
Buying instruments which can be converted to cash (e.g. prepaid debit cards) does represent a credit risk because the buyer may not choose to use the proceeds to pay the credit card bill. It does not matter if we think this is likely, it takes only a single high balance default to wipe out the profit generated by scores of other cardholders.

That's true, except BMO had no idea what's being bought. One of my friends in particular was told the frequent paying down of the balance, is a large part what they perceived as fraud. Their story doesn't make sense in light of whom they were shutting down, and reasons given.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
That's true, except BMO had no idea what's being bought. One of my friends in particular was told the frequent paying down of the balance, is a large part what they perceived as fraud. Their story doesn't make sense in light of whom they were shutting down, and reasons given.
I did not pay down my balance early. I charged up $29k of my $30k limit over a 45ish day period and they said over the phone that was a HUGE deal and "why was I charging so much?!" I commented as to how I was given a $30k limit and that I had every right to charge within that limit per their terms on the card. She didn't seem to care and said it was a huge fraud issue and that was just not acceptable. This is clearly a smaller bank with less capacity to actually lend out the credit limits they approved. Maybe they were going for a Lehman 40:1 leverage plan, but that doesn't work any more these days and 90% of the people that signed up for this card started making big charges that completely threw their lending ratio expectations out of whack.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glocklt4
I did not pay down my balance early. I charged up $29k of my $30k limit over a 45ish day period and they said over the phone that was a HUGE deal and "why was I charging so much?!" I commented as to how I was given a $30k limit and that I had every right to charge within that limit per their terms on the card. She didn't seem to care and said it was a huge fraud issue and that was just not acceptable. This is clearly a smaller bank with less capacity to actually lend out the credit limits they approved. Maybe they were going for a Lehman 40:1 leverage plan, but that doesn't work any more these days and 90% of the people that signed up for this card started making big charges that completely threw their lending ratio expectations out of whack.
You had just gotten the card, right? High credit limits typically are not intended to be walked up to on the very first billing cycle. They are typically designed for occasional unexpected emergency spending. In a normal month, the bank expects you to spend "normally", not to push up to just below credit limit.

You should have given a valid reason for the high spending, not an excuse that you observed a high credit limit and spent that much. Banks rightfully view "spending the max allowable because you said I could" as "suspicious" behavior. (The average person at a small bank like BMO doesn't even know or comprehend that MSing exists. Every other possible reason for you to spend that much goes through their minds first.)

("Normally" can be determined relative to your stated annual income, and/or to your past spending to the degree that it can be gleaned from your credit report.)

Just because some banks will let you get away with that with a small credit limit is no reason IMHO to expect another bank which gives you an unusually high credit limit to let you get away with that.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You had just gotten the card, right? High credit limits typically are not intended to be walked up to on the very first billing cycle. They are typically designed for occasional unexpected emergency spending. In a normal month, the bank expects you to spend "normally", not to push up to just below credit limit.

You should have given a valid reason for the high spending, not an excuse that you observed a high credit limit and spent that much. Banks rightfully view "spending the max allowable because you said I could" as "suspicious" behavior. (The average person at a small bank like BMO doesn't even know or comprehend that MSing exists. Every other possible reason for you to spend that much goes through their minds first.)

("Normally" can be determined relative to your stated annual income, and/or to your past spending to the degree that it can be gleaned from your credit report.)

Just because some banks will let you get away with that with a small credit limit is no reason IMHO to expect another bank which gives you an unusually high credit limit to let you get away with that.
It was over a matter of more than a month and that level of spending is justifiable for the stated income on my application and my credit report. They definitely had every ability to see that this was not unusual activity for me if they looked. I stand behind my comment that if you give me a $30k credit line I have every right to use it per their terms - emergency or not. I don't have any problem with someone questioning it or confirming that the purchases are mine to prevent fraud (which they didn't do AT ALL - only locked up my card completely for a couple weeks), but closing an account for utilizing a given credit line is asinine. There is no point to a credit line at that point, at all. If I want to pay the interest on a $29k balance because I'm making bad decisions on my spending, that is my fault (and the bank will love the interest). With my credit having ZERO negative marks, the chances of a loss are extremely remote, but credit cards have high interest rates to mitigate that small risk across all accounts to begin with. The bank must assume that at ANY time, all of their open credit lines could be utilized 100%, so giving out huge limits to everyone was a failure. I don't recall the details off the top of my head, but govt regulations require banks to maintain reserves at a certain % of the amount loaned (and/or charged for cc's) for this very reason. BMO is the next Lehman if everyone got $20-30k+ credit lines and they have no way to pay for their customer's charges or borrow $ to cover them. Their handling of this card has been a failure regardless and I suspect that possibly the federal reasons they quoted above for closing accounts might be related to their inability to maintain a high enough reserve related to the total credit line extended and amount people were spending on these cards. This is probably why they claimed the application was "broken" too and pulled it.

I did not use what I mentioned above as my reason for the high spending when I spoke to the CSRs. I have many reasons I spend a lot on all of my cards (MS and not).

Last edited by glocklt4; Mar 10, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:35 pm

My max utilization/total spend was 32.5% of total CL (I was basically open only 1 statement). This was easily supported by my income, never-mind household income. And keep in mind this was, one xmas (so there was holiday spend on there), two I was traveling on business so that was on there and, yes, I MSed but hardly abused the card.

I suspect I was on their radar because of an earlier chat I had with the fraud department when they were Google stalking me.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yep, especially with the 30K, 40K, and 50K limits their system was giving out.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
My max utilization/total spend was 32.5% of total CL (I was basically open only 1 statement). This was easily supported by my income, never-mind household income. And keep in mind this was, one xmas (so there was holiday spend on there), two I was traveling on business so that was on there and, yes, I MSed but hardly abused the card.

I suspect I was on their radar because of an earlier chat I had with the fraud department when they were Google stalking me.
I really, really want to know why they think that Googling someone is an effective fraud-prevention measure. BMO Harris is owned by the giant BMO so I'm surprised that they can't handle such credit limits.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uklevi
BMO Harris is owned by the giant BMO so I'm surprised that they can't handle such credit limits.
BMO proper is based in Canada. BMO Harris is their US arm. Because of the different countries, there may be legal requirements about what BMO Harris has to specfically have in the US, rather than what BMO has to have in Canada (combined with the US). Ie, BMO Harris is controlled by USA bank regulators, BMO (Canada) is not.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
BMO proper is based in Canada. BMO Harris is their US arm. Because of the different countries, there may be legal requirements about what BMO Harris has to specfically have in the US, rather than what BMO has to have in Canada (combined with the US). Ie, BMO Harris is controlled by USA bank regulators, BMO (Canada) is not.
Diner's Club has certainly had a rough time of it, ever since Citi dropped them.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Diner's Club has certainly had a rough time of it, ever since Citi dropped them.
Yes, and from what little I have read of their history, they didn't have an easy ride under Citi either, right?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by othermike27
...didn't have an easy ride under Citi either, right?
The problems were of a different character. Diners market share was stagnant, and (apparently) not consistently profitable in the time that Citi owned the brand (1981-2009). I think our perspective is distorted, because it appears that Citi gave up on Diners as a retail brand some years before deciding the sell it, but they continued to develop the corporate card programs. BMO bought Diners primarily for the corporate accounts. (Read their press releases from 2009.)

I think BMO will continue to offer consumer cards only if they can find a way to make them profitable.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
My card appears dead

After giving the card a 2 week break for vacation, I returned home and gave it a $500 Rx swipe. Declined. Let it rest a day , and gave it a $4 swipe at a fast food place. Still not breathing.
I get it. I've followed these threads for a while.
But, my question : have any of these cards spontaneously come back to life , with out a big FR? Or should I just move on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.