FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diners Club | Club Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards-414/)
-   -   Two new Diners Club USA MasterCards. Applications suspended mid November 2014. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards/1616024-two-new-diners-club-usa-mastercards-applications-suspended-mid-november-2014-a.html)

icbkcnbjicc Sep 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Two new Diners Club USA MasterCards. Applications suspended mid November 2014.

https://www.dinersclubus.com/home/consumer-cards

LETTERBOY Sep 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Wow. I had honestly convinced myself that they'd never do this. ^

tmiw Sep 27, 2014 1:27 am

Applied, instant approved. ^

They don't mention anything about the chip on the site though but according to the EMV thread their older cards did have PIN priority. Hopefully that's still the case but I wouldn't be surprised if PIN isn't asked for when using it.

mia Sep 27, 2014 4:01 am

There are now three types of cards: Consumer, Professional and Corporate. In recent years the Professional charge cards have functioned as both small business and personal cards. I do not see any indication that Harris Bank is accepting applications for the Professional cards, only for the new Consumer Diners Club Premier and Elite MasterCards. The 3% foreign transaction fee still applies to the Professional cards, even though it does not apply to the new Premier card which seems to be otherwise identical.

TerryK Sep 27, 2014 6:06 am

What is the difference between Elite and Premier? :confused: I only noticed Trip Cancellation Insurance and triple Club Reward points on come categories for Elite yet it is $205 more per year.

sdsearch Sep 27, 2014 10:18 am

So if I want 0% forex, and already have the Professional, is it still an extra $95 to get the Consumer Premier card, or is there a waived / lower fee if you have both cards???

What (besides being a charge card and 3% forex) does the Professional card have that the Consumer Premier card doesn't?

sdsearch Sep 27, 2014 10:22 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 23589224)
What is the difference between Elite and Premier? :confused: I only noticed Trip Cancellation Insurance and triple Club Reward points on come categories for Elite yet it is $205 more per year.

Well, those categories where you earn triple points are the same ones (gas/grocery/drug) where generic Visa / MC gift cards are sold, so those into Manufactured Spending which well get more than $205 of value out of that. :D

jalm1 Sep 27, 2014 10:55 am

Interesting development. Not sure there is a place for this card in my wallet, but since my corp card is diners I am assuming the club rewards accounts could be merged and this would be a way to earn bonus miles to either AA or AS. Neither of which are focus currencies for me, but that's paratially due to ones potential earn rate which this starts to address.

SteveT Sep 27, 2014 10:56 am

I wonder what the difference between the consumer and professional cards.

mia Sep 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT (Post 23590186)
...what the difference between the consumer and professional cards.

I expect we will find more:

• Card type. Professional = charge cards; Consumer = credit cards (apparently, based on the fee disclosures)
  • Foreign transaction fees. Professional 3%; Consumer 0.
  • CDW vehicle value cap. Professional = $75,000 (Diners) or $100,000 (Carte Blanche); Consumer = $50,000
  • Other insurance. On cursory examination there appears to be differences in the carriers and terms of the other coverages. The Consumer coverages may be a standard package arranged by MasterCard, while the Professional coverages may be inherited from Citi. Someone would need to read carefully side-by-side to find the differences.

G2244 Sep 28, 2014 9:33 am

Is there a history of DC offering sign up bonuses? Wondering if there is any advantage to waiting to jump on this. I would hate to apply now and miss a bonus in a few weeks.

joshwex90 Sep 28, 2014 10:49 am

I though Diners only issued Diners :confused:

SteveT Sep 28, 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 23593851)

Back in the early/mid 2000 Diners Club issued in the US and Canada started to issue Diners under the Mastercard network. Diners issued in other countries under thenDiners network, which have alliance with Discover and JCB.

mia Sep 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 23593851)

Diners Club does not issue cards. Diners Club International licenses banks to issue cards in a specified geographic area. For the past three decades this has not been apparent because Citibank owned both Diners Club International -and- was the card issuing franchisee in many areas.

In 2005 Citi converted the Canadian and USA franchises from the Diners Club network to MasterCard network. Later, Citi sold Diners Club International (the network operator) to Discover, and they sold the Canadian and USA card issuing franchises to the Bank of Montreal (BMO) which owns Harris Bank.

Originally Posted by G2244 (Post 23593539)
Is there a history of DC offering sign up bonuses?

There is no relevant history. It has not been possible to apply for a USA (or Canadian) Professional (personal) card account since 2008. Citi stopped issuing new accounts several years before selling the franchise to BMO in 2010, and this is the first time that BMO/Harris Bank has accepted applications. Does Harris Bank offer new account bonuses on other cards?

G2244 Sep 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 23594347)
Does Harris Bank offer new account bonuses on other cards?

It appears that they do on at least one of their cards, although not what I would consider a very big one (5,000 points after first purchase - assuming I found the correct banking institution). https://www.bmoharris.com/us/persona...rd#page=page-1