Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners Club (USA) list of transfer partners and ratios (2024).

Old May 31, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please use THIS separate thread to report transfer times and problems.
----------------------------------
OneWorld:
Alaska Airlines (11825:10000)
British Airways (11000:10000)

SkyTeam:
Delta Air Lines (10750:10000)
Virgin Atlantic (11000:10000)

Star Alliance:
South African Airways (11000:10000)
Thai Airways.(11000:10000)

Independent:
El Al Airlines (11000:200)
Iceland Air (10000:10000)
Southwest Airlines (14780:10000)

Hotels:
Intercontinental Hotel Group (16667:20000)

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciative.

A friend owes me some miles/points, and wants to transfer them to me from his Club Rewards account.

But, I can't find a list of transfer partners online. I'm particularly interested in the airline partners. Does anyone have a list?

Also, is there a fee to transfer the points?

I would ask him these questions, but he's not a miles/points hound, so I might get better info here. I did a search of this board, but nothing really turned up.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:05 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
USA Professional Card transfer partners

Reply moved to Wikipost

Last edited by mia; May 31, 2013 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks, mia!

Looks like a pretty robust list of partners.

I've been waiting for a while to see if there are any transfer promos. Seems as though they are pretty rare.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:55 pm
Company Representative - Milez.biz

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles & More, Flying Blue
DC transfer ratios

Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding the transfer ratios for DC points into FF program miles. Is it always 1:1? Is there a website or online resource where I can look this up?

Thanks
ph
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:58 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

In which country is your Diners Club card issued? The transfer rates are published in the online redemption catalog. Canadian and USA cardholders must login to see this information.

In the USA program the airline transfers are 1000:1000 for those programs denominated in "miles". It varies for airlines which use points or other units. The hotel transfers are in multiples of 1250, ranging from a low of 1250:750 for Hyatt and Starwood to a high of 1250:3300 for Best Western.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:01 pm

Hi Mia,

Thanks for the info.
I am interested mainly in the US conversion rates but also in the Canadian or any other rates.

The reason I ask is that we have a tool that calculates and compares frequent flyer rates across multiple programs and we are now ready to add the transfer comparison as well.

You can [discuss] the tool here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...milez-biz.html

On the results page there is going to be a "transfer rate" button that will show how many points/miles need to be transferred for a specific award flight w/ a specific FF program.

We have the SPG and a bunch of Amex rates ready, but don't have any DC rates. The rates tables are only available to members?

Thanks
ph

Last edited by mia; May 4, 2012 at 11:46 am Reason: Replace commercial link with link to Travel Tools forum.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phlee
but don't have any DC rates. The rates tables are only available to members?
Not only that, they can vary from member to member!!!

Well, at least the transfer choices can vary from member type to member type. Speicficially, the one I know about: Corporate DC members in the US can still transfer to AA, but personal DC cardmembers in the US no longer can.

Thus it's not even possible to have just one conversion chart for all US DC members (at least not without footnotes)!

And, by the way, in case you're not aware, no one in the US/Canada who isn't already a personal DC cardholder can become one. For several years now, DC US/Canada has not been taking new personal card applications, and we haven't yet heard of definite plans to restart those on any particular date.

Which makes it all the less value (other than for pure curiosity purposes) for them to publicly publsh the conversion rates.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:11 pm

Thanks sdsearch for this info.
In your experience do many DC cardholders transfer points to FF programs? Or is this a relatively unusual practice?

ph
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phlee
In your experience do many DC cardholders transfer points to FF programs? Or is this a relatively unusual practice?
ph
Well, the only other DC cardholders I know are the ones here on FT, and they may not be representative of the whole membership. However, most of us here ceratinly either transfer to FF (airline) programs or to hotel programs. (I, in particular, have found it especially valuable for some hotel programs in which I have few opportunities to earn points other than from occasional stays or DC transfers, because they don't have shopping or dining programs like airlines do, and because I can't earn miles from stays in hotels to another hotel program the way I can to a choice of airline programs.)

A common use of DC transfers, I would think, is to top off when you don't have quite enough for an award (either in an airline program or at a hotel program). That (rather than staritng from 0 and transfering the full amount needed for an award) is I think how I've always used mine to date. I tend to leave as many points as I can for unanticipated top-off needs myself (rather than transferring out everything I have as soon as I have it).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:21 am
mia

Moderator action

I have merged two threads and updated post #2 to include the details of the transfer ratios. All airlines transfer 1000:1000 except El Al and Southwest.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia

Rail: Amtrak.

The transfer fee to airlines is $0.95 (or 95 points) per 1,000. No fee for transfers to hotel programs.
Just one point - there is also no fee to transfer to Amtrak. To me, this is the best value for my points now as my family loves to take train trips when possible.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The transfer fee to airlines is $0.95 (or 95 points) per 1,000. No fee for transfers to hotel programs.
Ouch, I thought this fee went away when Diners Club moved to BMO. I tried a transfer to Aeroplan today and wasn't charged a a $0.95 fee. I wonder why they're still charging you this fee.

Last edited by starflyer; Apr 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by starflyer
... I thought this fee went away when Diners Club moved to BMO.
I think you are correct. I have not transferred points recently, and I no longer see any reference to the excise tax recovery fee ^ .
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyer
Ouch, I thought this fee went away when Diners Club moved to BMO. I tried a transfer to Aeroplan today and wasn't charged a a $0.95 fee. I wonder why they're still charging you this fee.
Originally Posted by mia
I think you are correct. I have not transferred points recently, and I no longer see any reference to the excise tax recovery fee ^ .
I thought the transfer fee was always only for US-based airlines, and for example did not apply to BA even in the Citi days? (Or am I getting it confused with Avis? I do know that Avis' FFP fees only apply to US-based airlines, and I though that Diners' fees were for a similar reason.)

If so, an example of a transfer to Aeroplan (which is a Canadian airline) doesn't by itself necessarily prove things have changed.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I thought the transfer fee was always only for US-based airlines
That's the way American Express Membership Rewards is structured, but Diners had collected it on (for example) transfers to BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.