Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold

Yesterday I had my first taste of NWA fleet/crew ever, and it was an interesting experience. For background, I've flown all of the other legacy carriers at least once previously, but for the past 4-5 years fly Delta or their international skyteam partners exclusively since I'm a skymiles member.

General observations regarding the merger....

1. I'm not sure where NWA is pulling their employee pool from but I have to say (and I can get away with saying this right since I myself am female?) that NWA FAs are some of the prettiest women I have ever seen. Much younger on average that the Delta FAs I'm used to and many of them just stunning. YMMV and not really relevant to operations on a plane but a strange fact that was observed.

2. NWA employees i encountered did not seem enthused about the merger in any way. I never brought up the subject even once, but overheard them commenting several times on the merger in negative ways. For example, when asked to make a Delta signature cocktail, the FA had to conference with the other FAs on how to make it. The second FA didn't know either so they had to call to the back to the 3rd one passing out drinks to ask her. It was sort of funny. The FA sighed a few times and said things were never this complicated before the merger as she handed the drink to my neighbor. I asked for a Sierra mist with a splash of cranberry juice and she just stood there for a second and then said she was trying to figure out how to get that to me. "Like, you want it in a glass?" she asked me. i was thinking in my head ..., how else do you give someone a drink. Then she told me on NWA they give you the can and your glass and let you pour it yourself. Ohhhhhhh. that's why she was confused as to what to do. I told her i would like it in the glass, but she could leave the can of SM with me too and i'll just forgo the cranberry when i refill my glass. Just a bit of confusion between a passenger and an attendant who are used to two different systems. Then, later, I ordered a salad off the menu [i was sadly too far down the upgrade list and stuck in Y woe is me] and the FA did not give me the dressing. i asked politely for the dressing and she replied that everything is different now and new and confusing with the merger and she wasn't used to salads. I said that was fine and i understood but could i please have the dressing anyway? In the crown room in MSP, i stopped at the front desk and presented my boarding pass and the agent just waited. I asked her politely what she needed and she said my id. Oh. I showed it to her and apologized and said i'd never needed to show it before and she remarked "AHA you must be another skymiler". she then went on to say they'd been seeing a lot of us lately with the merger and that i might need to get used to NWA procedures when using their lounge. Finally, they had to gate check my bag because they ran out of room in the overheads and when i got off the plane the NWA FA asked me why i was standing in the jetway. i said waiting for my gate checked luggage. She said, no no *we* don't do it like that, we push it to baggage claim with the rest of the luggage. And then commented that many Delta passengers do the same thing I did and that this merger is giving her a headache. All of the NWA employees referenced here were perfectly polite and professional, i just thought it strange that they all had pointedly reference the merger in the ways they did.

3. NWA equipment. I don't know the details of the various NWA fleet, but I did not care for the two planes i flew on (from IAD to MSP and MSP to SFO). Both inside and outside they seem old and shabby compared to Delta. The paint is chipping on the outsides, the seats are scratchy in Y and the velcro'd covers keep unvelcroing all over the place. The plane was FREEZING during the flight. There were no PV systems and not even tvs that come down from the ceiling every x number of rows. On a 3.5 hour flight and no form of entertainment at all. Very different than what I'm used to on delta so far. I was upgraded on the IAD-MSP leg, but the seats there still were old and worn compared to the nice leather on Delta. I hope if they keep all this old NWA fleet they reorganize it to be on the less traveled routes so I don't have to be stuck with it again.

4. Pepsi products. It was great to have access to pepsi products. I love sierra mist. This is the only great thing from NWA i hope Delta can find a way to keep/incorporate. A sierra mist with a bit of cranberry is a great thing.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
From what I understand, this is NW's first week with DL catering. Apparently there wasn't much training involved. That's probably why serving the foofy DL drinks was a little rough.

DL said it has started redoing the interior of the NW aircraft to match the blue leather DL has. Let's see how long this takes and what else gets improved along the way.

You should try an international flight on one of NW's A330's. If you do, I think you'll then wonder how long it will take DL to fix up its 767s to match the NW A330's, most of which are less than 5 years old.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

not to hijack my own thread but

Originally Posted by mike_plat
From what I understand, this is NW's first week with DL catering. Apparently there wasn't much training involved. That's probably why serving the foofy DL drinks was a little rough.

DL said it has started redoing the interior of the NW aircraft to match the blue leather DL has. Let's see how long this takes and what else gets improved along the way.

You should try an international flight on one of NW's A330's. If you do, I think you'll then wonder how long it will take DL to fix up its 767s to match the NW A330's, most of which are less than 5 years old.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to hijack my own thread now and ask you if you know how long it should take for MQM credit for a solely NWA flight [not a codeshare] to post to my FF record. The codeshare flight from MSP-SFO posted immediately, but the NWA from IAD-MSP did not. I thought it would post immediately since the merger....is this a glitch and i should call or does it normally take a few days to post NWA segments? Do you know Mr Platinum?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM, PC Gold
Well, I am not Mr. Plat, but I flew a couple weeks ago on NWA ticketed flights and they posted in 3 days into the SkyMiles account.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Most NW flights have credited to my DL account within 24 hours, but some have taken a couple days. I did have a class of service bonus a month ago for a r.t. flight on NW to Asia. The bonus miles on the return flight posted to the DL account, but not the bonus miles for the outbound. The SM service center had to fix it manually. I'm not sure what happened.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by mike_plat
I used to think that FAs (not just DL or NW) mucking up a new service procedure was mostly due to lack of information/training from management but more often than not, it's due to many FAs simply not bothering to familiarize themselves with the new products/procedures. Lack of information is usually not the issue.

Whenever Delta used to introduce a new service procedure in international Business for example, I used to hear complaints from FAs that they didn't know this or that. But when I talked to some really excellent FAs, they would tell me that they had gotten heaps of information beforehand and it was really up to the individual FA to be diligent enough to read up on the material and familiarize him/herself with it. Obviously, there are many FAs who don't really bother.

In this case of the introduction of new service items and procedures to pre-merger NW flights, take a look at this post from the NW board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...arch-30-a.html

The first post in that thread is basically the entire detailed email that went out from Inflight management to ALL flight attendants on March 18 about the imminent changes....selected items from the email:

"....Because of the number and detail of these changes, a little advanced study and preparation is in order to make sure youre ready for the big day. You may have already seen, and will continue to see in the coming week, more detailed information on each change - and what it means to you - posted to the IFS Portal, ATLAS, and, coming very soon, in dedicated Base Learning Centers. Please be sure to take a few moments to read and become familiar with this information so youre prepared to deliver on March 30...."

There was apparently quite some information posted for FAs to read...and they were certainly forewarned to study up on the changes....
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: Family: DL PM, SMx2; Hilton Silver, SPG, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jenniparks
Finally, they had to gate check my bag because they ran out of room in the overheads and when i got off the plane the NWA FA asked me why i was standing in the jetway. i said waiting for my gate checked luggage. She said, no no *we* don't do it like that, we push it to baggage claim with the rest of the luggage. And then commented that many Delta passengers do the same thing I did and that this merger is giving her a headache.
Interesting info....

I think this is one where I would hope *they* adopt the Delta model. Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was an airport specific thing. (?) One reason for carry-on luggage is to avoid baggage claim when time is of the essence and a gate check should not negate that, forcing someone to go to baggage claim. And a big assumption is being made that their airport is the final destination and no connections are being made.
Think they would do that with a stroller that was gate checked too?

As someone who flies their fair share of CRJs where gate checks are inevitable, everything that is gate checked should be returned plane-side (or jetway-side).
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by t.p.d.elta
Interesting info....

I think this is one where I would hope *they* adopt the Delta model. Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was an airport specific thing. (?) One reason for carry-on luggage is to avoid baggage claim when time is of the essence and a gate check should not negate that, forcing someone to go to baggage claim. And a big assumption is being made that their airport is the final destination and no connections are being made.
Think they would do that with a stroller that was gate checked too?

As someone who flies their fair share of CRJs where gate checks are inevitable, everything that is gate checked should be returned plane-side (or jetway-side).
When Delta gate checks your bag on a mainline jet, it also comes out at the baggage claim at your final destination. Only for regional jets of either airline are they returned in the jetway.

Most NW employees have little reason to be enthusiastic about this merger. The recent visible dismissal of 80% of the high-ranking female executives (all from NW) is a reminder of what probably in store for many of them. At least one senior NW FA has reported DL "death squads" traveling undercover looking for things and people to write up.

I've even seen a few DL flight attendants roll their eyes and have to ask for help figuring out how to make the fancy drinks, and sometimes just roll their eyes at having to get out the shaker & do the extra work. One can expect that to be a larger issue with the NW flight attendants.

The DL flight attendants definitely are better looking!

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 3, 2009 at 5:40 pm
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

that stinks

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
When Delta gate checks your bag on a mainline jet, it also comes out at the baggage claim at your final destination. Only for regional jets of either airline are they returned in the jetway.

Most NW employees have little reason to be enthusiastic about this merger. The recent visible dismissal of 80% of the high-ranking female executives (all from NW) is a reminder of what probably in store for many of them. At least one senior NW FA has reported DL "death squads" traveling undercover looking for things and people to write up.

I've even seen a few DL flight attendants roll their eyes and have to ask for help figuring out how to make the fancy drinks, and sometimes just roll their eyes at having to get out the shaker & do the extra work. One can expect that to be a larger issue with the NW flight attendants.

The DL flight attendants definitely are better looking!
hmmm, flying a regular looking plane with 3 and 3 rows, from DC to ATL or DC to MIA, delta has put my luggage in the jetway plenty of times. That was not a small regional cr jet or anything. The big deal is that people take fragile or expensive things on board as carry on for the sole purpose of being able to maintain care of them to prevent them from getting broken or stolen. knowing that at any time the agents might decide there is no room and you have to dump them into regular baggage check claim stinks especially if you didn't anticipate that and package them carefully.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
My thoughts:

1.) Not really gonna touch this one. I've had younger and older F/As on both carriers. Makes no difference to me - I remember good service (which I've had on both airlines), as well as some service that left a little to be desired (rare on both carriers, but still...).

2.) I've met employees that have emotions that run the gamut in terms of some liking it, some not. In terms of inflight service, I'm willing to give the NW folks a learning curve for right now. There are quite a few differences between the two carriers. While in an ideal world everything would change just like hitting a light switch, the reality is that many of the NW folks have done things a certain way for years, and it takes time to adjust to change. I've never had a problem with drink presentation on NW - it's just like DL (except NW does it from a cart). Then again, I only drink soda and beer on planes (or a glass of wine if I'm on a redeye). As for the WorldClubs, they've always needed the card. Same is true for CO and AS lounges. Only time I didn't use my CRC card to enter a WC was when I used my Platinum card on the international itinerary. FWIW, Delta will be starting ID checks at the CRCs this week - one remnant of the NW side coming over. And as MikeMpls said, I've never seen any airline that will valet-check a bag on a mainline flight (though my understanding is US will do it for a First Class passenger). Still, I've never seen it on DL or NW. Speaking of valet though, I'd love to see DL go the way of NW for RJ unloading at hubs - NW has elevators in the jetway at DTW (and maybe MSP?) where the rampers put the bags into the elevator, load it up and it's sitting there on a shelf at the top of the jetway. Much nicer system than waiting by the door of the plane.

3.) Most NW planes don't have IFE simply because they didn't use it domestically. Only the 757-300s, 757-200 TransAtlantics and A330s have it domestically. They'll probably add it in to the Airbuses and 757s over time. All the NW fleet will get the DL leather seats over time - I know an A330-200 already has them. Still, I don't have an issue with the NW seats - I've been in them plenty of times and they're pretty comfortable. As for painting, NW planes will be all repainted by end of 2010.

4.) NW/DL hasn't made a decision yet on what soft drink. I tend to think they won't get away from Coke - both Coke and Delta are Atlanta institutions. That being said, I wouldn't object to DL going to AA style service, where it's both Pepsi and Coke. Though EOD, I want my Coke!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL
I disagree. I've seen a bunch of hot DL FA's. I remember PHX-JFK one time on a 738...couldn't stop staring at her.

I have never flown NWA, but seen pictures and it does look pretty bad. DL is definitely getting new seat covers to replace every NWA seat cover. Every plane is getting repainted. Cross-fleeting is in progress now, and FA's don't have much info about the other airline's procedures. Soon all of the NWA employees will be adapting to the DL procedures. DL and NW gates are being moved around so they will be close together. Just wait and things will be better.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: Family: DL PM, SMx2; Hilton Silver, SPG, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mersk862
Speaking of valet though, I'd love to see DL go the way of NW for RJ unloading at hubs - NW has elevators in the jetway at DTW (and maybe MSP?) where the rampers put the bags into the elevator, load it up and it's sitting there on a shelf at the top of the jetway. Much nicer system than waiting by the door of the plane.
As you wish!

The elevators are up and running in ATL...coming off the CRJs too.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
I have never flown NWA, but seen pictures and it does look pretty bad. DL is definitely getting new seat covers to replace every NWA seat cover. Every plane is getting repainted.
I dunno about the rest of DL's 752 fleet but the one I was on the other day looked tired...and remember some of NW's 756's and 755's are pretty old themselves....heck I'd take a 9 anyday over the DL 752 I was on the other day (why is it the DL 752's sound like the NW 320/319 fleet? really loud engines...I'm guessing they dont have the P&W engines NW does)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by t.p.d.elta
As you wish!

The elevators are up and running in ATL...coming off the CRJs too.
Awesome - that's a nice improvement to see.

It's rare that I take a CRJ through ATL now that I don't go to school in GSO (I had one trip to GNV in December where it was on a CRJ, but everything else has been mainline), but on that trip and my previous CRJ trip through ATL (back in May), I didn't recall there being elevators for carryons in the jetways.

Glad to see DL adding this in.

(Now let's just get CVG and SLC in on it!)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
What's a CRJ? I've almost forgotten.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.