FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:02 pm
ClipperDelta

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by mike_plat
From what I understand, this is NW's first week with DL catering. Apparently there wasn't much training involved. That's probably why serving the foofy DL drinks was a little rough.
I used to think that FAs (not just DL or NW) mucking up a new service procedure was mostly due to lack of information/training from management but more often than not, it's due to many FAs simply not bothering to familiarize themselves with the new products/procedures. Lack of information is usually not the issue.

Whenever Delta used to introduce a new service procedure in international Business for example, I used to hear complaints from FAs that they didn't know this or that. But when I talked to some really excellent FAs, they would tell me that they had gotten heaps of information beforehand and it was really up to the individual FA to be diligent enough to read up on the material and familiarize him/herself with it. Obviously, there are many FAs who don't really bother.

In this case of the introduction of new service items and procedures to pre-merger NW flights, take a look at this post from the NW board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...arch-30-a.html

The first post in that thread is basically the entire detailed email that went out from Inflight management to ALL flight attendants on March 18 about the imminent changes....selected items from the email:

"....Because of the number and detail of these changes, a little advanced study and preparation is in order to make sure you’re ready for the big day. You may have already seen, and will continue to see in the coming week, more detailed information on each change - and what it means to you - posted to the IFS Portal, ATLAS, and, coming very soon, in dedicated Base Learning Centers. Please be sure to take a few moments to read and become familiar with this information so you’re prepared to deliver on March 30...."

There was apparently quite some information posted for FAs to read...and they were certainly forewarned to study up on the changes....