FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:24 pm
t.p.d.elta

Programs: Family: DL PM, SMx2; Hilton Silver, SPG, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jenniparks
Finally, they had to gate check my bag because they ran out of room in the overheads and when i got off the plane the NWA FA asked me why i was standing in the jetway. i said waiting for my gate checked luggage. She said, no no *we* don't do it like that, we push it to baggage claim with the rest of the luggage. And then commented that many Delta passengers do the same thing I did and that this merger is giving her a headache.
Interesting info....

I think this is one where I would hope *they* adopt the Delta model. Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was an airport specific thing. (?) One reason for carry-on luggage is to avoid baggage claim when time is of the essence and a gate check should not negate that, forcing someone to go to baggage claim. And a big assumption is being made that their airport is the final destination and no connections are being made.
Think they would do that with a stroller that was gate checked too?

As someone who flies their fair share of CRJs where gate checks are inevitable, everything that is gate checked should be returned plane-side (or jetway-side).