Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
It's not just the crew who aren't enthused about this merger. In my recent flights I've heard quite a bit of audible groaning from the pax as well, when FA's or WC staff say DL this or DL that. DL hasn't given us any reason to be enthusiastic.

I'd like to be enthusiastic about it, really. But what has DL done for us besides erode our benefits and paint over our branding? Quite seriously, DL needs to give us a reason to like them.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
2. I had to show ID in an ATL CRC today, is that something new?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
What's a CRJ? I've almost forgotten.
I had almost forgotten the worst of it until this afternoon when they swapped in a 200 for the scheduled 700. I think that everything about the seating is supposed to be the same, but it seems to me that the 700 is a bit less uncomfortable than the 200.

Back to the topic of this thread. I was on NW LGA-DTW-SDF on the 31st and noticed no difference from years of traveling on NW. I have always liked NW and have no complaints since I cannot remember the last time that I did not get upgraded, formerly as a CO elite and now as a DL PM.

And I do like Pepsi better than Coke.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by monitor
I had almost forgotten the worst of it until this afternoon when they swapped in a 200 for the scheduled 700. I think that everything about the seating is supposed to be the same, but it seems to me that the 700 is a bit less uncomfortable than the 200.

Back to the topic of this thread. I was on NW LGA-DTW-SDF on the 31st and noticed no difference from years of traveling on NW. I have always liked NW and have no complaints since I cannot remember the last time that I did not get upgraded, formerly as a CO elite and now as a DL PM.

And I do like Pepsi better than Coke.
The windows are at a normal height in the 700 so you don't get a crick in your neck trying to look outside. I believe the newest 700's (not sure if Delta even has any, NW has no 700's at all) also have the "Next Generation" (same as 900) interiors.

I prefer Pepsi Max, but for plain old pop I'd rather have Coke.

Hint: If it's a 200 or 700 that was originally a Delta plane, the exit rows are ok. If it was originally a NW 200, the exit rows are worse than the normal seats.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 3, 2009 at 11:13 pm
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveller
2. I had to show ID in an ATL CRC today, is that something new?
You've been WorldClubbed. This is one area where Delta's system was better and should have been retained for the long run.

I hated digging out BP's as a NW flier because it was a waste of time -- scanning it never told them anything useful and we still had to produce cards & ID's, but presumably the boarding passes would have become useful as the FF programs and lounge memberships are merged.

It's also possible that you just appear to be 16.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by jenniparks
1. I'm not sure where NWA is pulling their employee pool from but I have to say (and I can get away with saying this right since I myself am female?) that NWA FAs are some of the prettiest women I have ever seen.

2. NWA employees i encountered did not seem enthused about the merger in any way.

3. NWA equipment. I don't know the details of the various NWA fleet, but I did not care for the two planes i flew on (from IAD to MSP and MSP to SFO). Both inside and outside they seem old and shabby compared to Delta. The paint is chipping on the outsides, the seats are scratchy in Y and the velcro'd covers keep unvelcroing all over the place. The plane was FREEZING during the flight. There were no PV systems and not even tvs that come down from the ceiling every x number of rows. On a 3.5 hour flight and no form of entertainment at all. Very different than what I'm used to on delta so far. I was upgraded on the IAD-MSP leg, but the seats there still were old and worn compared to the nice leather on Delta. I hope if they keep all this old NWA fleet they reorganize it to be on the less traveled routes so I don't have to be stuck with it again.

I also had my first NW experience this week, with all segments upgraded into first.

1. ALL the FAs looked like they could be my grandmother save the last one coming back home. And she was the most polite one too.

2. I didn't hear too much complaining from the staff but from the pax yes, particular my seat mate in 3C, until I mentioned to hear that I was a Delta plat. She abruptly ended the conversation.

3. The equipment, ughhhhhh! Not impressive period. Jenni you missed nothing not being in first class. No leather, no TV, no video, COLD dinner meal (pasta and chicken or turkey sandwich). No salad. No yummy ice cream or cheese cake for dessert. The molassess cookie was good but it's just a cookie. Coach would have been the exact same experience except for the wider seat and slight more leg room.

I will definitely not book another Northwest segment until the planes are revamped.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lotalota
In my recent flights I've heard quite a bit of audible groaning from the pax as well, when FA's or WC staff say DL this or DL that. DL hasn't given us any reason to be enthusiastic.
exactly, this past thursday checked in on nwa for a seg 1 nwa seg 2 dl operated flight (originally ticketed all NWA)...couldn't get a BP for seg 2, arrived at the airport the gate agent said "oh you need to see him, that's NW" (there was a former NW contract employee who's now been hired by DL)...he said "I see seg 2 but can't get you a BP, DL needs to do that" so I went back to the original agent...she said you dont have seg 2 see him...he said I see seg 2 (this went on for a bit)..finally I called elite services who had to FORCE back into my PNR seg2 in DeltaLINK to match it to the PARS record....thankfully the NW agent also noticed seg 3 had dropped from DeltaLINK which also caused it to drop from PARS...ugh...Elite Services is terrific at handling these types of things but I dont understand why the DL agent had the "I can't be bothered to fix this" type of tude about her...and the "Him" only had access to PARS so he couldn't fix anything either...talk about frustrating...maybe if I can't fly 100% NWA Op flights I should go back to CO until they fully intergrate the systems
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
No leather, no TV, no video, COLD dinner meal (pasta and chicken or turkey sandwich).
I can understand why you miss the TV/video. I think I understand why you miss the leather seats. (No fun to draw on cloth seats with ball point pens, for sure!)

But don't blame the COLD dinner on NW. I'm not sure what NW segment you flew - but the COLD dinner is part of the new Delta specs - NW served hot meals until recently - but now the hot meals are restricted to longer segments (lots of discussion on another thread somewhere). Plenty of grief about that from long-time Red Tail flyers.

Last edited by Watchful; Apr 4, 2009 at 5:36 am
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
FA pulchritude

Yes, there are some handsome/beautiful staff on both airlines, both in-flight and on the ground. But I think this being the case in-flight is in spite of unions that allow/encourage people to stick with the job regardless of age and morphology.

Yes, there are senior FA's who take good care of themselves and are obviously fit and "height-weight proportional" (or whatever this week's PC term is) to the extent that they make it down the aisle easily - but that speaks to their own personal motivation, since it's not like the airlines get rid of those who don't go to the trouble.

Flying airlines based in Europe, Asia and Africa (KL, LH, U2, FR, NH, SQ, CZ, KQ) I still see a range of shapes and ages, but it's clear less leeway is given when it comes to personal care, health and fitness.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:42 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I've even seen a few DL flight attendants roll their eyes and have to ask for help figuring out how to make the fancy drinks, and sometimes just roll their eyes at having to get out the shaker & do the extra work. One can expect that to be a larger issue with the NW flight attendants.
I've seen DL flight attendants scared to make the drinks, out of fear it won't taste good, but I have never, ever gotten the roll-eye dismissive response. The signature cocktail program is one of the better inflight features on DL.

Why it would be a "larger issue" with NW flight attendants, particularly given that all the NW customers seem to think they are a competent (dare say superior) group, is beyond me.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
It's also possible that you just appear to be 61.
It's probably that.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by socrates
...maybe if I can't fly 100% NWA Op flights I should go back to CO until they fully intergrate the systems
I'll be doing that, at least until the single operating certificate is issued. I really think DL should do something to sell us on their brand. It's like they just assume we won't notice the changes and re-branding: that we don't care and will step in line as new smilin' DL faithful. Maybe they really just don't care.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by socrates
I dunno about the rest of DL's 752 fleet but the one I was on the other day looked tired...and remember some of NW's 756's and 755's are pretty old themselves....heck I'd take a 9 anyday over the DL 752 I was on the other day (why is it the DL 752's sound like the NW 320/319 fleet? really loud engines...I'm guessing they dont have the P&W engines NW does)
No such thing as the 756 or 755. Theres only the 752 and 753.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
No such thing as the 756 or 755. Theres only the 752 and 753.

He's referring to the NW A/C numbers, the 5500's and 5600's (which are 757-200's). The 757-300's are numbered in the 5800's.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
He's referring to the NW A/C numbers, the 5500's and 5600's (which are 757-200's). The 757-300's are numbered in the 5800's.

Yes correct...and for further explaination 753,755,756 are all configured differently and purchased at different times (I might be wrong but I believe 756's are the oldest, I do know the 753's are the newest)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.